The 'kids' with smartphones are using the cheap monster battery packs these days, as not looking at the phone every two minutes drives them into some sort of psychotic anxiety episode. I've seen a couple of 5 amp-hour packs in use by my female colleagues; you know the type, the pals with the £500 handbag and a phone with a 6" screen which has to be hand carried everywhere in case it buzzes. Girls who say 'Yah!".

The 9900 got a 'new' old-stock Made In Japan battery as reported, yesterday was a quiet day with only half a dozen BIS-fed emails, and today the battery is reading exactly 50% . So that's about 40 hours or so quiescent capacity, though I have battery saver on all the time, and a magnetic case.

Even more startling is the lack of mobile data use. I first thought that my carrier (Three) was giving me free data, as the usage was so low, today, I see that the last week of data has cost less than £1. The usage is so low that it doesn't register on my usage bill for about a week. I heart BIS.

Monstah Battery pack for your Gucci handbag:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-5200m...UvbUpU12736165
    idssteve and David Tyler like this.
    01-20-17 02:46 AM
    While talking about batteries ... don't forget the CB shop

Deal of the Day – Fri 20th Jan 2017 Only while stocks last!
    BlackBerry JM-1 1230mAh Standard Battery | BlackBerry Batteries | ShopCrackBerry
    idssteve likes this.
    01-20-17 07:35 AM
    While talking about batteries ... don't forget the CB shop

Deal of the Day – Fri 20th Jan 2017 Only while stocks last!
    BlackBerry JM-1 1230mAh Standard Battery | BlackBerry Batteries | ShopCrackBerry
    So the new JM1 battery i bought last week is working, i guess the 9900 doesn't charge dead batteries, at least the pocket charger does

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    idssteve and anon(9721108) like this.
    01-20-17 08:05 AM
    The 'kids' with smartphones are using the cheap monster battery packs these days, as not looking at the phone every two minutes drives them into some sort of psychotic anxiety episode. I've seen a couple of 5 amp-hour packs in use by my female colleagues; you know the type, the pals with the £500 handbag and a phone with a 6" screen which has to be hand carried everywhere in case it buzzes. Girls who say 'Yah!".

The 9900 got a 'new' old-stock Made In Japan battery as reported, yesterday was a quiet day with only half a dozen BIS-fed emails, and today the battery is reading exactly 50% . So that's about 40 hours or so quiescent capacity, though I have battery saver on all the time, and a magnetic case.

Even more startling is the lack of mobile data use. I first thought that my carrier (Three) was giving me free data, as the usage was so low, today, I see that the last week of data has cost less than £1. The usage is so low that it doesn't register on my usage bill for about a week. I heart BIS.

Monstah Battery pack for your Gucci handbag:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-5200m...UvbUpU12736410
    Gottaluv BIS & data usage. One of ML's top priorities was minimizing data usage. A priority carriers didn't share. How could carriers gouge users with data charges if everyone used BIS? Lol. AND if OSes weren't burning up YOUR data plan for data mining? Lol. ML is an engineer. As an engineer myself, I can empathize with wanting to design the best product possible for the customer while expecting the marketing guys to sell that superior product to those customers. ML's dilemma, tho, was that carriers were his REAL customers. Carriers make most $$ when users consume most GB. BIS and BBOS are utterly incompatible with that scheme. By intentional design. Carriers just didn't share ML's concern over data consumption.

Last I heard, BIS subscription fees DO still provide respectably high margin revenue to BBRY. Not sure how that gets shared with carriers. Especially the ones who don't seem to be charging for it in any obvious way... ?? I, for one, would happily justify paying quite a lot for BIS. Could bb miss yet another market opportunity by failing to leverage bought & paid for BIS infrastructure into a "super secure" premium "sorta BES" subscription? Idk.

Just checked on my newly acquired Dtek60 which has been locked in a desk drawer back home in my office, on charger, for over a week. It's burning up more data than my 9900, 9930, Passport, Classic and Z30 combined! By a LOT!! I'm having a coworker shut it off for me. Uhg.

Similar to some of your friends, my 99 spends so much time in left hand that I do ponder possible health implications of such constant exposure to mobile, wifi & bluetooth RF. Lol. The sun never sets on my global client base. Lol. That's exactly why I value the single handed comfort of 9900's compact form. External batt-pack chargers alter that form in distracting ways. Either adding appendages or wires. Distractions are a big deal, for me. My clients pay $$ for my un-distracted attention.

Also, too frequently, during time critical voice troubleshooting sessions, I'll drain my device battery into shutdown. Just hoping another 30 seconds will get the plant back into operation. Simply popping in a spare battery let's me restore contact in less than 3 minutes, on my 9900. Getting an embedded battery device charged enough to boot back up takes a LOT longer. The batt-packs can prolong a call without interruption, which is why I frequently carry one, but they drain down and need charging, also. AND there simply is no external batt-pack charger that can match a JM1's compact footprint while doubling a device's endurance!

In fact, the first few weeks of solo carrying Classic, I wound up carrying a batt-pack that was physically larger than a 9900 itself! Why not just carry a spare 9900? Here I am. Lol.
    01-20-17 08:17 AM
    The 'kids' with smartphones are using the cheap monster battery packs these days, as not looking at the phone every two minutes drives them into some sort of psychotic anxiety episode.
    I find this deeply disturbing. You get the idea they think their stoopid phone is some kind of oracle, or that the answer to every problem is in there if you just stare long enough, or that some kind of global pandemic will ensue if they don't respond to someone's text, tweet, or Instagram post within 300 ms. They're missing a lot of actual life.

...pals with the £500 handbag and a phone with a 6" screen which has to be hand carried everywhere in case it buzzes. Girls who say 'Yah!".
    Girls who tack on "like," and upspeak every phrase? You know? Like, you know... everything's a question?
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-20-17 09:05 AM
    Haha... Betcha at least a few old timers found some of our youthful activities a little disturbing. Lol.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-20-17 09:50 AM
    I find this deeply disturbing. You get the idea they think their stoopid phone is some kind of oracle, or that the answer to every problem is in there if you just stare long enough, or that some kind of global pandemic will ensue if they don't respond to someone's text, tweet, or Instagram post within 300 ms. They're missing a lot of actual life.

Girls who tack on "like," and upspeak every phrase? You know? Like, you know... everything's a question?
    Been in a few conferences recently where 4th industrial revolution was frequently mentioned and discussed. And they say these 'kids' and their smart phones are fueling the revolution. To whose advantage, that was never spoken about. But really who are fueling or feeding it? And it is not hard to see the few people and companies who literally own this revolution.

Posted from my  Passport
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-20-17 09:51 AM
    Not hard to see the ETHICS of the few people and companies who literally own this revolution.

THAT is deeply disturbing. Especially considering the potential impact on youth. Imo.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-20-17 10:03 AM
    9930 battery for $14 at shopberry today. Should fit 9900 as well.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    idssteve likes this.
    01-20-17 11:13 AM
    So the new JM1 battery i bought last week is working, i guess the 9900 doesn't charge dead batteries, at least the pocket charger does

A shame to use sophisticated communications tools as lowly battery chargers. Wish I could pull battery from my dead Classic and charge in a real charger... Lol.
    01-20-17 02:06 PM
    Haha... Not really so amazing. Been using bridged 99 thru PlayBook's hdmi since a few days after my first playbook. This meeting room had about a 40" flat panel with miracast that I'd planned to use with Classic. Could have used Passport but really like trackpad for presentations. Just hooked up Playbook & grabbed presentation from dropbox... No drama easy...

I do miss my Classic for certain things. Oversized as it is, if it had been blessed with swappable battery, I'd have reluctantly retired 99 by now. Embedded batteries are cheaper to implement and maybe ok for folks who live regular, predictable, lives, I guess. That certainly doesn't describe me. Lol.
    Wait... what? You used a 9900 to control your playbook remotely? What app? Could a 9900 also control an android tablet or even a pc laptop remotely?

On a sidenote, i'd love to use my 9930 as a DVD player remote control but that's unlikely.

01-20-17 03:24 PM
    I love the 9900 and gave one up for a Classic! Big mistake. Now I have no BIS and would be grateful if someone could check if the following apps will work on the 990 without BIS.

1) callmeLater (one word)
    2) Advance OS and LED (by sulatan al sooz)
    3) Buzz off (call blocker)

If someone could check and if they work I will buy another 9900. (I do not need BBM or e-mail) but I do need those three apps

I miss the 9900 so much!
    01-20-17 03:52 PM
    A shame to use sophisticated communications tools as lowly battery chargers. Wish I could pull battery from my dead Classic and charge in a real charger... Lol.
    This is the problem with the non removable batteries, once they're dead it's a different set of rules to get the phone working, and of course more complicated. Looking at both the Classic and Priv designs i don't understand why the back doors aren't removable, it can't be cheaper to make non removable doors? It's definitely less convenient, even Samsung can bring out new phones with removable battery doors. That being said, i never actually experienced my Q10 battery go under 20%, i think the Classic must have even a better battery? Have you thought about taking the phone apart and trying to charge the Classic's battery?

01-20-17 04:00 PM
    I love the 9900 and gave one up for a Classic! Big mistake. Now I have no BIS and would be grateful if someone could check if the following apps will work on the 990 without BIS.

1) callmeLater (one word)
    2) Advance OS and LED (by sulatan al sooz)
    3) Buzz off (call blocker)

If someone could check and if they work I will buy another 9900. (I do not need BBM or e-mail) but I do need those three apps

I miss the 9900 so much!
    If the apps can only be downloaded in BB App World then it will be difficult, i couldn't access the BB App World without BIS and just on wifi. You could call around or contact different carriers to see if they still offer BIS support or "internet data/access for the old blackberry's" i had to use different wording many times to get the answer i needed, some carries have the BIS already on the plans in case somebody is using a blackberry.

01-20-17 04:02 PM
    Wait... what? You used a 9900 to control your playbook remotely? What app? Could a 9900 also control an android tablet or even a pc laptop remotely?

On a sidenote, i'd love to use my 9930 as a DVD player remote control but that's unlikely.

Yep. Its called Bridge. And also "Remote Control". Only works on PlayBook, tho. Always hoped for a version to Bridge 9900 on BB10 since it's somewhat related to PB's qnx derived OS but never happened. PB has an hdmi port that leverages large screens nicely. 9900's trackpad works nicely on large screens thru the PB. Tracpad control is wonderful for large screen presentations, etc. Classic's Miracast is very handy but takes some fiddling with powerpoint etc to optimize because of classic's goofy 1:1 AR. PB/9900 Bridge plays nicer AR, for example.

There are other remote control apps that can do amazing things. My guys have clients' 9900s performing some impressive SCADA functions for some clients' plants. Can't say much more than that about it but I'm told there're some capable apps at bbw to do some remote things... Fwiw.
    01-20-17 04:14 PM
    Haha... Not really so amazing. Been using bridged 99 thru PlayBook's hdmi since a few days after my first playbook. This meeting room had about a 40" flat panel with miracast that I'd planned to use with Classic. Could have used Passport but really like trackpad for presentations. Just hooked up Playbook & grabbed presentation from dropbox... No drama easy...

I do miss my Classic for certain things. Oversized as it is, if it had been blessed with swappable battery, I'd have reluctantly retired 99 by now. Embedded batteries are cheaper to implement and maybe ok for folks who live regular, predictable, lives, I guess. That certainly doesn't describe me. Lol.
    HMDI presentation? What did I miss?
    01-20-17 04:17 PM
    can't even access appworld without BIS! oh heck, I'm done for then.
    01-20-17 04:18 PM
    Really??? I don't have BIS and I can access app world just fine on WiFi. That's odd...

01-20-17 04:22 PM
    If the apps can only be downloaded in BB App World then it will be difficult, i couldn't access the BB App World without BIS and just on wifi. You could call around or contact different carriers to see if they still offer BIS support or "internet data/access for the old blackberry's" i had to use different wording many times to get the answer i needed, some carries have the BIS already on the plans in case somebody is using a blackberry.

I have no Sim card or BIS on my 9900 right now and I am able to remove and re-add apps with Wi-Fi only on my 9900.
    01-20-17 04:23 PM
    can't even access appworld without BIS! oh heck, I'm done for then.
    Yeah, when i had my Sim in the phone and it didn't have BIS activated yet but did have internet access because i bought a monthly plan with data. I tried searching the web and accessing things and it didn't work, not even with wifi, that being said i do remember the phone would work with just wifi once the phone had everything set up so you would need BIS initially. Where do yu live? i live in Ireland and it was hard for them to understand what a blackberry was haha, but it was worth everything to be able to use this phone again.

01-20-17 04:23 PM
    Really??? I don't have BIS and I can access app world just fine on WiFi. That's odd...

Yeah I can do everything on Wi-Fi basically on my 9900

Except emails and texting oh and phone calls ;-)
    01-20-17 04:24 PM
    Or, someone really smart can make a .jad file of the apps and post somewhere. That's how I got kindle app, which isn't on the app store anymore.

01-20-17 04:24 PM
    This is the problem with the non removable batteries, once they're dead it's a different set of rules to get the phone working, and of course more complicated. Looking at both the Classic and Priv designs i don't understand why the back doors aren't removable, it can't be cheaper to make non removable doors? It's definitely less convenient, even Samsung can bring out new phones with removable battery doors. That being said, i never actually experienced my Q10 battery go under 20%, i think the Classic must have even a better battery? Have you thought about taking the phone apart and trying to charge the Classic's battery?

We've dissected a couple Classics in-house... No one enjoyed the experience. Lol. If I were back at our facility, it would already be apart. Lol. But, out here at a remote jobsite, it's easier to just order a new one and donate the old one to be a "lab rat" for some things my "smart guys" have in mind.

One thing that WOULD concern me if I were sending this thing to less friendly hands... How do you securely wipe it without power? ??

Just a shame. Failed battery in 9900 takes almost ten seconds to replace. Failed battery in Classic involves a week of drama and maybe even security issues?? Glad I'm on my old trusty 99.
    01-20-17 04:25 PM
    I have no Sim card or BIS on my 9900 right now and I am able to remove and re-add apps with Wi-Fi only on my 9900.
    Yeah, i was able to use my other blackberry's with just wifi back in the day, i used to have about 3 blackberry phones at a time but they were all set up with the sim with BIS initially so the wifi would work with nearly all the apps, i could use app world, twitter, facebook but not bbm. My 9900 wouldn't work with just wifi when i got it back in May, even when i inserted the sim with data it didn't work, i had to get the BIS activated before anything would work.

01-20-17 04:26 PM
    Really surprised that guy in my building never came around to pick up the free battery door I offered, look at the condition of this… His loss I'll still use it if I need to spare.9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1484951192.098512.jpg
    01-20-17 04:26 PM
8,754 ... 175176177178179 ...