No problems on our iPhone 5 with iOS 10. If you had a Mac you can reload the OS from the cloud. The Apple store can fix your phone too. Still it is probably a good time to get a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-16 05:39 PM
    No problems on our iPhone 5 with iOS 10. If you had a Mac you can reload the OS from the cloud. The Apple store can fix your phone too. Still it is probably a good time to get a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    Technically I don't think they are allowed to be called "Apple Stores" here. We have one place at Midtown Plaza mall that was fully paid for and built by Apple and everyone knows it as an Apple store, but it is called something else. All they sell are Apple products. But I am happy going to a local repair shop because they probably charge a lot less, and they know me well.

It's funny because as I mentioned, my buddy also has a 5C with Telus and he had no lag or spotty performance on ios10 like I do. For some reason my 5C just didn't get along with the new update. The tech guys told me many people are having so many issues it's crazy. Then I talk to others, like you, that have no problems at all. This is really the FIRST issue I can think of that I ever had with ios. I guess I should be glad I almost got 3 years out of this iphone, but I think for mine anyway, the combo of ios10 and the weekly massive big Facebook updates were just too much for it. Combine this with the fact I multitask with 45 apps and over 200 photos loaded onto it on a 16 GB device that is 3 years old and I think that can be considered a recipe for disaster.

I think I COULD get away with using it, but only for "light duty." But to me, I NEED my main device to do many things and I cannot be worrying if it will crash again and cost $25+ each time it feels like jamming.

I think I will use the 9900 until after Christmas and then next year trade on an SE since I can get it for free this way.

Of course I will always keep the 9900. Who knows, I might just keep on truckin' with this thing now that everything is perfect on it again, thank goodness.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-25-16 05:50 PM
    I have had good luck phoning Apple technical support. They did not charge me anything.

https://www.google.ca/url?q=http://w...iXRgT1qHpP65Zw

Posted via CB10
    10-25-16 05:57 PM
    I have had good luck phoning Apple technical support. They did not charge me anything.

https://www.google.ca/url?q=http://w...iXRgT1qHpP65Zw

Posted via CB10
    I know Apple does not charge anything to help over the phone. But when my Iphone jammed 2 days ago I needed use of a PC to fix it, so I had to go to a local repair place.

Apple customer service is very fast and excellent.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-25-16 06:04 PM
    Technically I don't think they are allowed to be called "Apple Stores" here. We have one place at Midtown Plaza mall that was fully paid for and built by Apple and everyone knows it as an Apple store, but it is called something else. All they sell are Apple products. But I am happy going to a local repair shop because they probably charge a lot less, and they know me well.

It's funny because as I mentioned, my buddy also has a 5C with Telus and he had no lag or spotty performance on ios10 like I do. For some reason my 5C just didn't get along with the new update. The tech guys told me many people are having so many issues it's crazy. Then I talk to others, like you, that have no problems at all. This is really the FIRST issue I can think of that I ever had with ios. I guess I should be glad I almost got 3 years out of this iphone, but I think for mine anyway, the combo of ios10 and the weekly massive big Facebook updates were just too much for it. Combine this with the fact I multitask with 45 apps and over 200 photos loaded onto it on a 16 GB device that is 3 years old and I think that can be considered a recipe for disaster.

I think I COULD get away with using it, but only for "light duty." But to me, I NEED my main device to do many things and I cannot be worrying if it will crash again and cost $25+ each time it feels like jamming.

I think I will use the 9900 until after Christmas and then next year trade on an SE since I can get it for free this way.

Of course I will always keep the 9900. Who knows, I might just keep on truckin' with this thing now that everything is perfect on it again, thank goodness.

Yes you are right .. Not an official store. Kind of ridiculous as they would still make money hand over fist.

Right now I am happy with my Android phone using the BlackBerry KB and their suite of apps. My wife's phone is the Apple.

Yes, Christmas deals are great. Try Costco for any other time.
    10-25-16 08:17 PM
    True, but I think the SE will always be offered for $0 now because it is their cheapest iphone and it came out in March this year so it is almost a year old already.

I have a feeling that because it is the second best selling iphone even beating the 6S if I read correctly, there will be an SE 2 version next spring. I could just wait but I don't think they can beat the price of $0 right now unless they throw in a free case or something.

I can't tell you have glad I am having the 9900 fully functioning again! It feels like 2011 again.

10-25-16 09:07 PM
    I am also trying to figure out how at the end of a days useage I still have 158 mb's free of storage. A couple weeks ago when I was still using this 9900 (before swapping back to iphone) I would be down to about 70-90 mb's by this time of day due to data bleeding or whatever you want to call it.

I can't recall removing any apps, in fact, I still have Whatsapp installed in the faint hope it might miraculously allow me to use it again.

10-25-16 09:22 PM
    I have a feeling that because it is the second best selling iphone even beating the 6S if I read correctly, there will be an SE 2 version next spring. ...
    Sounds like comfortably sized handsets can be a successful niche...
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    10-25-16 11:19 PM
    Yup, they would be crazy to NOT offer an update to the smaller 4 inch model. It was suprising. It just goes to show that people KNOW what they like and the size they like, and only offering one type/size does not mean that others will not sell based on what the masses dictate for the current trend.

PKB can be a direct parallel to this point.

10-26-16 01:56 AM
    I'd like to extend my gratitude to the people that helped me with advice. The phone behaves wonderfully and there's no sign whatsoever of stutter and since yesterday I didn't get the hourglass anymore, the music player sees all the songs, all files are recognised, etc. It feels good to be back

You can have it in any colour as long as it's black
    10-26-16 06:14 AM
    True, but I think the SE will always be offered for $0 now because it is their cheapest iphone and it came out in March this year so it is almost a year old already.

I have a feeling that because it is the second best selling iphone even beating the 6S if I read correctly, there will be an SE 2 version next spring. I could just wait but I don't think they can beat the price of $0 right now unless they throw in a free case or something.

I can't tell you have glad I am having the 9900 fully functioning again! It feels like 2011 again.

More or less the carrier will recoup the difference between the unlocked price and the $0 price in your fees.

Some devices qualify for a cheaper plan than premium devices. My Samsung had a $10 cheaper plan. The savings being $ 240 over the life of the plan bringing down the effective purchase price to $240.

My thoughts on phones is that width is the most important measurement. If you find a 9900 to be be a great width for a phone then you would be pleased by a iPhone 6 or 7. They are basically the same width.

The current rumour on the small iPhone is a iPhone 8 mini model with a 4.3 inch screen.

One final comment on fees. Older plans tend to be cheaper than new ones . Sometimes going month to month on an old plan using an unlocked device is the way to go. At some point Sask Tel will stop offering new BlackBerry plans but will grandfather older plans.
    10-26-16 07:15 AM
    They just need to add a physical keyboard ... and perhaps a trackpad ... preferably the smiling ergonomic one like that made by BlackBerry for the 9900
    10-26-16 07:55 AM
    More or less the carrier will recoup the difference between the unlocked price and the $0 price in your fees.

Some devices qualify for a cheaper plan than premium devices. My Samsung had a $10 cheaper plan. The savings being $ 240 over the life of the plan bringing down the effective purchase price to $240.

My thoughts on phones is that width is the most important measurement. If you find a 9900 to be be a great width for a phone then you would be pleased by a iPhone 6 or 7. They are basically the same width.

The current rumour on the small iPhone is a iPhone 8 mini model with a 4.3 inch screen.

One final comment on fees. Older plans tend to be cheaper than new ones . Sometimes going month to month on an old plan using an unlocked device is the way to go. At some point Sask Tel will stop offering new BlackBerry plans but will grandfather older plans.
    Yup, BIS recovered the true expense of these 9900. Long term, the customer pays, one way or another. Our fully featured 99s might have cost us twice list, without BIS fees. Non-bis BB10 lost so many of 9900 features because BB was suddenly reduced to turning profit thru margin on device sales only. Imo.

I think, fwiw, if makers once again explore compactness, VKB would once again become intolerably small. PKB can be more compact than VKB. Especially if users are willing to use thumb nails for typing. I've used some really tiny PKB. 9650, comes to mind. Can't use nails on glass, last I heard. Lol.

How many might use that? Probably fewer than if BB never informs them of the possibility. Which given BB's penchant for treating features as top secret, no one will ever know so... Lol.
    10-26-16 08:06 AM
    If I had to pick one measurement that was most important to me it would definitely be width. After three days with a Passport SE I knew it was entirely too wide for me to ever be comfortable using it.

But height is almost as important to me, too. How easy it is to reach all parts of a touch screen and the positioning of external buttons can make a device easier or harder to use depending on its height.

I think the 9900 and Q10 hit a sweet spot for both width and height. I'm not sure about the Classic, as I haven't tried one yet, but I am a little concerned about its larger form factor.

I used an iPhone SE for a month and I think it was just the right size for an all-touch device. I also have 5" phones (Z30 and Moto G2) and while I do appreciate the additional screen real estate, they are not as easy to use one-handed and are not as versatile or adaptable to various everyday use situations.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-26-16 08:10 AM
    If I had to pick one measurement that was most important to me it would definitely be width.

But height is almost as important to me, too. How easy it is to reach all parts of a touch screen and the positioning of external buttons can make a device easier or harder to use depending on its height.
    The thing that I don't like about greater screen height is that the notification shade / drop down settings panel is hard to reach. So are website links at the top of the screen.

I wouldn't buy anything larger than the SE for actual use as a phone. I WOULD buy one of those monster phones to use as a small tablet, though.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-26-16 09:26 AM
    I'd like to extend my gratitude to the people that helped me with advice. The phone behaves wonderfully and there's no sign whatsoever of stutter and since yesterday I didn't get the hourglass anymore, the music player sees all the songs, all files are recognised, etc. It feels good to be back

You can have it in any colour as long as it's black
    It looks like we both got our 99's back to 100% full functioning this week. I almost didn't make it when for 2 days I had no email, no notifs other than FB and Twitter and no mobile net away from my home wifi. For some reason it wouldn't even connect to other saved wifi networks! I cannot explain that one. So I learned the importance of these so called "Service Books."

Can someone explain why Apple and Android don't need Service books? Or do they have these but maybe they are called something different? I understand they are completely different operating systems.....

Blackerthanblack likes this.
    10-26-16 09:58 AM

What I'm seeing from Rogers is really no change at all in the "top of the line" plans since 2011. I do however see more "lower-end" plans offered as low as $35 a month. (when I last checked about 2 months ago or so) But I noticed that any plans with substantial data included, 1GB or more, start at $55 and then you have to add Caller ID (name and number) for $10 and then tax is another $10 almost, + 911 fees and we are looking at around $75 per month. That is what I am basically paying and anyone with a new smartphone that they require a voice and data plan under contract to get the device cheaper. BUT my plan has 5GB of data, it is from 2011 (so I hope they let me keep it, they did for the iphone) and none of the new plans for $55 per month with Rogers even came close to having 5 GB per month.

Absolutely, to me width makes for a more beautiful typing experience and I have that with the 99 and I hate typing on a 4 inch iphone, it simply is too narrow on the Apple. I really would prefer a 4.7 inch iphone 7 but there is no way I feel right paying $300+ for that when the SE is basically the same processor and I prefer to have the headphone jack. I don't want to get into expensive wireless ear pods because you just KNOW that you will lose them, etc. So I can live with it, hopefully, but some of us are on a budget With iphone I rely on "voice to text" for almost everything except quick Google searches, in general.

I would prefer it if the 4 inch iphone looked more like a Passport, but again, as mentioned above, something TOO WIDE can have negative consequences as well. But it WOULD be a lot nicer to type on, but glass is not my first choice.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 10-26-16 at 10:24 AM.
    10-26-16 10:07 AM
    I would definitely look at a iPhone 6S over the 7. Your biggest fear in negotiating a new plan is losing the BIS feature. I have a feeling that your best bet will be to continue on with your own plan but asking your carrier to no longer continue charging you for the 5c. You should see your plan go down by about 20 bucks a month then you could buy an unlocked phone.

Does not hurt to ask once your current phone is fully paid for. They may or may not ask for an unlock fee.
    Once your old phone is running as a BYOD device swap the SIM to your new phone .

For fun ...I would love to buy a used Q10. Maybe I should try to trade my almost mint 9900.
    10-26-16 10:49 AM
    I would definitely look at a iPhone 6S over the 7. Your biggest fear in negotiating a new plan is losing the BIS feature. I have a feeling that your best bet will be to continue on with your own plan but asking your carrier to no longer continue charging you for the 5c. You should see your plan go down by about 20 bucks a month then you could buy an unlocked phone.

Does not hurt to ask once your current phone is fully paid for. They may or may not ask for an unlock fee.
    Once your old phone is running as a BYOD device swap the SIM to your new phone .

For fun ...I would love to buy a used Q10. Maybe I should try to trade my almost mint 9900.
    Bis is standard and included here so I don't know what will happen with that. I don't know if Rogers would go "cheaper" on a cell plan. I don't think they break them down that specifically, like if I request BIS or not, I doubt they would go cheaper. I think what the price of the plan is is what it is. BIS was always included.

I do like to be able to put a phone in the front pocket, so I probably should have clarified that. So while I like the size of the SE I just don't care for typing on that size. I'll just use Voice to Text like I do for most things anyway.

10-26-16 05:08 PM
    Can someone explain why Apple and Android don't need Service books? Or do they have these but maybe they are called something different? I understand they are completely different operating systems.....
    Service books are simply files that contain settings for various services. For example, there is a service book that configures MMS messaging. There are others that configure the browser connections, email, bbm, etc. There could have been settings screens to enter that configuration information, but BlackBerry chose to keep control over the settings through service books instead.

Service books were used to configure apps that accessed proprietary servers, but also to configure non-proprietary services, like web browsing and MMS. My cynical self says that this was BlackBerry's way of hooking free services to the BIS payment -- and saying, essentially, you must be on a BIS carrier and you must pay for BIS, or almost nothing on your phone will work. There are a few exceptions to that statement, but it holds generally.

So your phone has the capability to use those generic (non-BlackBerry) services without a BIS plan, but lacks the settings pages to configure them. However, you can write your own service books to access your carrier's services. Whoever wrote the Anworm service books figured out how to enable the web browser on a regular data plan. I figured out how to write service books to enable MMS messaging. So it can be done. But you have to do it with a hex editor, and the files are complicated.

On Android and iOS, some of this configuration information can be entered manually on the settings screens, or can be automatically detected from your carrier network and set up by your phone. For their proprietary services (like iMessage, for example), the configuration information is likely baked into the app, or stored in service book-like configuration files that we don't know about.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-26-16 06:33 PM
    Interesting.

It almost sounds like Blackberry choose to have control over the Books in case there was some kind of hack perhaps and then for security purposes, they could pull the plug or have more control over things. Also, as we all know, they were able to start charging fees for it since it was linked to BIS.......

just spitballin' here.

Reminds me a little of how Apple keeps a short leash on the app store, and how they pull any app that might be corrupted or doesn't have some virus linked to it. Android is more "lax"......from the podcasts I've listened to.

10-26-16 06:48 PM
    Really interesting how since she sent the service books I am now getting almost 12 hours of battery life and I am doing nothing different. Also the fact I still have 120mb's of memory when I should be down to about 70 by now!

Do these things get better with age or something? No explanation.

10-26-16 10:54 PM
    Maybe a hint of "hybrid" possibilities? ...
    10-27-16 04:13 AM
    Maybe a hint of "hybrid" possibilities? ...
    I wouldn't say "NO!" to a 9900-type ios powered device with the same form factor but smaller updates, and make them more security focused with less sized files that don't eventually bog down like with an iphone so terribly, as I just learned.

One to go please...

10-27-16 04:28 AM
    I wouldn't say "NO!" to a 9900-type ios powered device with the same form factor but smaller updates, and make them more security focused with less sized files that don't eventually bog down like with an iphone so terribly, as I just learned.

One to go please...

Haha... Yeah, I'd take Apple ethics over Google ethics any day but... Lol.

I meant in regards to BBOS battery, memory, etc...
    Hybrid OS - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    10-27-16 05:10 AM
8,754 ... 131132133134135 ...