I've been reading through too many 9900/9930 forums. It's making me seriously consider jumping back over to my 9930 as my daily driver. The BB10 forums are no help, either. I see Q10 and Classic users pining for their old 9900s often.

What's annoying about this is I know it is a 5-year-old device. I sorely lacking in some software aspects for what I want in a smartphone.

I'll probably talk myself out of it, as my Q10 is serving me very well at the moment.

But there are times when I'm composing and editing vast amounts of text on my Q10 when I want to chuck it across the room because I get so frustrated with the touch screen editing functionality. And from some of the first-hand accounts I've read, the toolbelt functionality on the Classic seems half-baked or redundant in many cases.

It really comes down to the fact that BB10 was not originally designed with a toolbelt in mind. It was designed for an all-touch interface.

It's not just the toolbelt that is calling to me, though. I'm typing this post on my 9930 and my thumbs are in absolute heaven. It definitely blows my Q10 out of the water in terms of tactile feedback and comfort.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    10-20-16 07:43 PM
    I've been reading through too many 9900/9930 forums. It's making me seriously consider jumping back over to my 9930 as my daily driver. The BB10 forums are no help, either. I see Q10 and Classic users pining for their old 9900s often.

What's annoying about this is I know it is a 5-year-old device. I sorely lacking in some software aspects for what I want in a smartphone.

I'll probably talk myself out of it, as my Q10 is serving me very well at the moment.

But there are times when I'm composing and editing vast amounts of text on my Q10 when I want to chuck it across the room because I get so frustrated with the touch screen editing functionality. And from some of the first-hand accounts I've read, the toolbelt functionality on the Classic seems half-baked or redundant in many cases.

It really comes down to the fact that BB10 was not originally designed with a toolbelt in mind. It was designed for an all-touch interface.

It's not just the toolbelt that is calling to me, though. I'm typing this post on my 9930 and my thumbs are in absolute heaven. It definitely blows my Q10 out of the water in terms of tactile feedback and comfort.

I'm on the Classic and I think OS10 works very well with the toolbelt/keyboard.

I should note: I'm a first-time BlackBerry owner and it was with the classic and OS 10. I am waiting on a 9900 in the mail though so ill let you know if I think OS 7 and the 9900 are any better....

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 08:08 PM

I guess you would have to consider and weigh the pros and cons and by cons I mean list what you no longer think you are able to do on a 9900 that you would be able to do on a newer device. You see for me it's just the comfort and stress-free aspect of it. I guess you have to accept that you may not be able to sync calendars etc. but just know that that can be a benefit also (if it is not a life-and-death matter) because it just less stuff to worry about. I don't calendar sync even though my Facebook tells me whenever birthdays are or whatever but I know you mean something different for business, but other than that you have to let that go and plunge in. You're lucky you got a brand-new one it's not even broken in yet. How many people can truly say they've got a brand-new 9900 in 2016

I think we are at a stage in history with these older devices where they have to be considered more of an experiment or hobby if we really love to use them. But for me it's a necessity because I hate the glass touchscreen and I'm not as productive for my messaging, etc.

Yes I am typing l very long run on sentences because I am using voice to text on my iPhone, there's no way I'm typing on glass with a tiny screen to do all this work ;-)

My advice is just try it, accept a couple of limitations, but realize that for people like me it does everything we need it to and just try to have fun with it for a while.

It might surprise you ;-)
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    10-20-16 09:49 PM
    There seems to be a bit of a migration from BB 10 devices to the 9900 again perhaps they just fall back on something they know or have kicking around because they're unsure of what newer device to get.
    10-20-16 10:01 PM
    I guess you would have to consider and weigh the pros and cons and by cons I mean list what you no longer think you are able to do on a 9900 that you would be able to do on a newer device. You see for me it's just the comfort and stress-free aspect of it. I guess you have to accept that you may not be able to sync calendars etc. but just know that that can be a benefit also (if it is not a life-and-death matter) because it just less stuff to worry about. I don't calendar sync even though my Facebook tells me whenever birthdays are or whatever but I know you mean something different for business, but other than that you have to let that go and plunge in. You're lucky you got a brand-new one it's not even broken in yet. How many people can truly say they've got a brand-new 9900 in 2016

I think we are at a stage in history with these older devices where they have to be considered more of an experiment or hobby if we really love to use them. But for me it's a necessity because I hate the glass touchscreen and I'm not as productive for my messaging, etc.

Yes I am typing l very long run on sentences because I am using voice to text on my iPhone, there's no way I'm typing on glass with a tiny screen to do all this work ;-)

My advice is just try it, accept a couple of limitations, but realize that for people like me it does everything we need it to and just try to have fun with it for a while.

It might surprise you ;-)
    Great points, as usual, RJ. But I already talked myself out of it. A big reason against is that I would have to switch carriers to do it. I really like Ting, but it doesn't support BIS, so I would have to switch back to Verizon. VZW is more expensive and a lot less BYOD-friendly.

I've actually decided to switch to my Z30 for awhile and see if I can get any better at using BlackBerry's virtual keyboard. If so, I might consider getting a DTEK50.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    10-20-16 10:21 PM
    I guess you have to accept that you may not be able to sync calendars etc. but just know that that can be a benefit also (if it is not a life-and-death matter) because it just less stuff to worry about.
    When I was using mine, I went back to the old-school cable sync via BlackBerry Desktop for PIM. It's kind of a familiar old ritual from my Palm PDA days. Get to work, grab a coffee, sync up, and then figure out what I'm doing. Life could be worse.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    10-20-16 10:29 PM
    I've actually decided to switch to my Z30 for awhile and see if I can get any better at using BlackBerry's virtual keyboard. If so, I might consider getting a DTEK50.Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    Have you considered waiting to see if Mercury gets released? I don't think I'll buy anything new until some clear decision is made on the last BlackBerry keyboard phone.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    10-20-16 10:34 PM
    Have you considered waiting to see if Mercury gets released? I don't think I'll buy anything new until some clear decision is made on the last BlackBerry keyboard phone.
    I'm keeping my eye on it, but I fear the price may be too high for my budget. Sub-$300 is the sweet spot for me. Also, I'm not totally sold on the forms factor - fixed physical keyboard with long screen.

10-20-16 10:45 PM
    I'm keeping my eye on it, but I fear the price may be too high for my budget. Sub-$300 is the sweet spot for me. Also, I'm not totally sold on the forms factor - fixed physical keyboard with long screen.

I agree on both points. Price is probably going to be an issue (especially for those of us spending Canadian dollars). Those screen dimensions too. I hope the renders are inaccurate. It looks weird AND top heavy. I suspect they're accurate though. I don't really understand it. If android supports the 3:2 and 4:3 aspect ratios, it would have been nice to have had a phone more like the 9900.
    10-20-16 10:55 PM
    Yeah that not having BIS has to be a main disadvantage point for you. I guess I'm lucky that I can just swap Sims and the only thing I have to do when I put a Sim card back in the BlackBerry is turn off iMessage on my iPad and iPhone, that's it. Within five minutes I'm rocking. I guess I shouldn't take this for granted ;-)
    10-20-16 10:56 PM
    When I was using mine, I went back to the old-school cable sync via BlackBerry Desktop for PIM. It's kind of a familiar old ritual from my Palm PDA days. Get to work, grab a coffee, sync up, and then figure out what I'm doing. Life could be worse.
    Interesting :-) the last time I used a cable for any cell phone to my PC was in 2008 to get photos off my Motorola razor LOL. I remember paying $40 for that darn cable.
    10-20-16 10:57 PM
    Interesting :-) the last time I used a cable for any cell phone to my PC was in 2008 to get photos off my Motorola razor LOL. I remember paying $40 for that darn cable.
    I don't really miss buying accessories from brick and mortar stores at all. So insanely expensive.
    10-20-16 11:01 PM

Personally concluded that no single device can do it all. Hence dual carry. 99 primary, usually Classic secondary. Sometimes Passport or Z30, secondary.

Not for everyone but does provide best of both platforms. Imo. Unmatched total screenestate. Totally wonderful to be able to check appointments, contact info, other messages, documents, etc, etc, in one hand while talking or messaging with other handset in other hand. Additional handset adds relatively minimally to VZW shared family bill. Two holsters are really not much more trouble than one, imo.

Not for everyone but maybe worth consideration? If you find you're switching around a lot, maybe no single device can satisfy your use case?? . Fwiw.
    10-20-16 11:29 PM
    Thanks all for your replies.

I think my problem is from using thumb nails.

Also might have put car keys in same pocket with my phone a few times.

From now on :
    Classic front left pocket.
    Bold left back pocket.
    Keys front right pocket.

Posted via CB10
    Haha... The price of precision... Lol. I find nails to be far more precise than my big fat calloused thumbs. Lol.

Keys & change can inflict unsightly damage on spare batteries, also. Be sure to pocket any spare JM1s away from keys... Fwiw.
    10-20-16 11:58 PM
    There HAS to still be an American cellular provider that has BIS and still allows swapping sim cards without having to phone it, etc.

Is this simple task something entirely limited to Canada? I just cannot believe this can be the case?????

If this is true, I CAN understand why Blackberry must be suffering much worse for sales in the US. This really sucks if one is a Blackberry fan in the US or elsewhere.....

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    10-21-16 12:33 AM
    Haha... The price of precision... Lol. I find nails to be far more precise than my big fat calloused thumbs. Lol.

Keys & change can inflict unsightly damage on spare batteries, also. Be sure to pocket any spare JM1s away from keys... Fwiw.
    You must let your thumbnails grow LONG because I can't even bend my thumb joints like the contortionist you must be!

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-21-16 12:35 AM
    You must let your thumbnails grow LONG because I can't even bend my thumb joints like the contortionist you must be!

Lol, I guess "long" is relative but they're at least even with tips of thumbs themselves. Too long and I loose tactile feedback from the thumb flesh forcing me to look at the KB sometimes. When trimmed just right, muscle & flesh memory finds keys most efficiently, sight unseen. In other words, thumb flesh helps identify specific keys but thumb nails do the actual pressing. I typically drag thumbs & nails across the keyboard from key to key on 9900 & Classic. Passport and Z30 obviously demand vastly different technique. Compared with those two, I'm probably at least twice as quick on 99 and way more precise. My personality type is too incompatible with the "life of errors" swipe thing. We use many thousands of one-off unique nomenclature & acronyms. Auto-correct/suggest is too counter productive for our use.

Interestingly, the fastest typist on my crew has the smallest hands and the LONGEST nails! She's our resident "speed demon" on EVERYthing. Including iOS and desktops. Some brains are just wired that way. Lol. Her zero error (no auto txt) WPM is also double on 99 compared with Z & PP. Classic approaches about 80% of 99 for two handed input, in our office. Single handing a Classic slows a lot and invites dropping it twice+ as often tho.

I single hand my Classic by letting right thumbnail grow at least a 1/16" longer in order to better reach the far key column "alt", "A", "Q" without double pressing "Z", "S", "W".
    Something our resident "speed demon" showed the rest of us mere mortals. Lol.

I've trimmed right hand longer to accommodate guitar for decades. Used to it, I guess. Lol.
    anon(9721108) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    10-21-16 06:17 AM
    I agree on both points. Price is probably going to be an issue (especially for those of us spending Canadian dollars). Those screen dimensions too. I hope the renders are inaccurate. It looks weird AND top heavy. I suspect they're accurate though. I don't really understand it. If android supports the 3:2 and 4:3 aspect ratios, it would have been nice to have had a phone more like the 9900.
    So many of us have been begging, pleading, threatening, etc for an upgraded 99... Since forever. Each time BB "improves" on the concept, it falls flat. One would think they'd learn?? Some things just can't be improved on. Until average hand size evolves, at least. Lol.
    I think what "mobile movie watchers" are missing is that our 9900 form is really a device classification of its own. Something closer to "smart watch" than 60" flat screen. Lol.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    10-21-16 07:06 AM
    Personally concluded that no single device can do it all. Hence dual carry. 99 primary, usually Classic secondary. Sometimes Passport or Z30, secondary.

Not for everyone but does provide best of both platforms. Imo. Unmatched total screenestate. Totally wonderful to be able to check appointments, contact info, other messages, documents, etc, etc, in one hand while talking or messaging with other handset in other hand. Additional handset adds relatively minimally to VZW shared family bill. Two holsters are really not much more trouble than one, imo.

Not for everyone but maybe worth consideration? If you find you're switching around a lot, maybe no single device can satisfy your use case?? . Fwiw.
    I've tried a dual-wield setup and it just isn't practical for me and I can't justify the cost of 2 separate plans.

My problem is that my insatiable curiosity still wouldn't be satisfied - I'd still want to switch things up every month or so.

idssteve likes this.
    10-21-16 07:13 AM
    There seems to be a bit of a migration from BB 10 devices to the 9900 again perhaps they just fall back on something they know or have kicking around because they're unsure of what newer device to get.
    There's no doubt that if my 9900 was working I'd be using that in preference to my Q10, even though (like Newfangled) I know that ActiveSync of Emails, Calendars etc. all works so much better on the Q10.
    Because I have had to, I've now grown to appreciate the strengths of BB10 and really quite enjoy using my Q10 (much more now than when I first bought it) ... but I do miss my 9900, the trackpad for editing, and the sheer speed, simplicity & efficiency of OS7
    anon(9721108) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    10-21-16 07:47 AM
    There's no doubt that if my 9900 was working I'd be using that in preference to my Q10, even though (like Newfangled) I know that ActiveSync of Emails, Calendars etc. all works so much better on the Q10.
    Because I have had to, I've now grown to appreciate the strengths of BB10 and really quite enjoy using my Q10 (much more now than when I first bought it) ... but I do miss my 9900, the trackpad for editing, and the sheer speed, simplicity & efficiency of OS7
    The 9900 keyboard just feels so much more natural and comfortable to me. The feeling of the key presses and tactile feedback is much more satisfying.

If they released one running BB10 or Android I would throw my money at them faster than Samsung Note 7s explode.

10-21-16 07:55 AM
    Well, I've bought a 9900 on eBay again. This seller has over 24000 feedback ratings, so I think I should actually get the device this time.

Now the waiting begins. Apparently patience is a virtue. :|
    10-21-16 09:30 PM
    Well, I've bought a 9900 on eBay again. This seller has over 24000 feedback ratings, so I think I should actually get the device this time.

Now the waiting begins. Apparently patience is a virtue. :|
    Come on dude you know the routine by now, how much did you pay, is it unlocked and let's hope this one doesn't fall through ;-)
    10-22-16 01:02 AM
    I think the 9900 is a little thinner isn't it? I remember I almost bought a Q 10, well I'll be honest there were two 9900s in a Q 10 when I bought mine and I was kind of always leaning toward the 9900 when I saw them in the store.
    10-22-16 01:05 AM
    I think the 9900 is a little thinner isn't it? I remember I almost bought a Q 10, well I'll be honest there were two 9900s in a Q 10 when I bought mine and I was kind of always leaning toward the 9900 when I saw them in the store.
    Yes all dimensions of the Q10 are ever so slightly larger than the 9900, but not so big as to be a burden to your pocket.
    10-22-16 03:34 AM
8,754 ... 127128129130131 ...