Sorry for a general rant, all of which you will have heard before but heyho.

The 9900 on Vodafone UK (2nd phone after the first bricked) really is not good enough. I am running a shrunk version of .540 with wifi and 3G on, the only apps installed are twitter and facebook set to manual refreshes and whatsapp and BBM running in the background.

I don't really browse the net on my 9900 or really make many phone calls or text messages, I would say I'm a fairly light user but still find myself having to charge it TWICE a day. Once overnight and once in the middle of the day, it is utterly pathetic.

I kept on saying to myself that it will improve with software updates but if anything it's getting worse.

I am also finding 3G reception to be patchy at best when compared with rival smartphones. The AppStore is pathetic and I find the mouse touchpad to be a jumpy over sensitive mess.

For me, blackberry only had 2 selling points, battery life and BBM, now one of those has been taken away and I use whatsapp more than BBM these days, what's the point?
    11-25-11 06:24 AM
    My usage:
    Off charger:7am
    8.00-15.00: idle/light usage
    15.00-around midnight: heavy/excessive usage
    With my usage around midnight I am down to %10-20 by midnight.
    By the way I am also running .540, my suggestion for you is that you buy a new battery and give your 9900 another chance.
    11-25-11 06:35 AM
    i'm not sure why all these mysterious "battery life" threads keep popping up

seriously, has to be PEBKAC issues, for real

blackberry's are known for great battery life, and by the sounds of how you're 99xx is practically "bare bones" - then this is fishy

it's like saying "i don't drive my car, but have to buy so much gas and when i do drive it, i'm always going downhill, so i rarely touch the gas pedal" - actually bronan, i gots nothing here

lol - people, ppfftt
    joju58 and Jake Storm like this.
    11-25-11 06:52 AM
    go buy a motorola peanut phone, i think it does sms
    joju58 likes this.
    11-25-11 06:53 AM
    So I have been thinking for some time about getting the 9900. before it's launch I thought it was a great phone. I do think it is a good phone but I have decided not to buy it so far.

At the moment I have a 9800. I find it a slow laggy device. Updating apps is a nightmare. Rebooting is slow. App selection is not the best.

I purchased a PLaybook in April. I have bcome very disillusioned by RIM and their broken promises.

I can buy an Andried phone with a WIFI hotspot feature for �120 (Samsung Galaxy Ace) That is a good phone and a bargain!

My Ipod packed up so I got an Ipod touch and am afraid to say I am warming up to the iphone. Having now seen the choice of apps available and actually getting a feel of what the device is capable of. I can do more on the iphone than I can the PlayBook.

So I know you started about the 9900 but my post is related to the 9900 in that the reasons above I why I will not be buying one.

RIM need to really leap ahead of their game now. Their image has been battered. Reputation getting worse by the day. They need to re invent themselves and should not be missing basic features such as WIFI hot spot ability.

Rant over
    hzguo likes this.
    11-25-11 06:55 AM
    "i don't really use my cell phone that much at all, so i went and got a blackberry smartphone just so i can pay extra for a data plan and go into the forums making stuff up about how this cadillac of a phone i bought for no real reason just isn't good enough"

- a clown
    11-25-11 06:56 AM
    i haven't had rim make me any promises at all, ever

but it would be pretty cool if they (mike n' jim) called me up one day and made me a promise that i could have them "pinky swear" on - wait, we'd be on the phone, so i guess pinky swearing would be out of the question, unless i could convince mike n' jim to meet me for a burger king lunch
    11-25-11 07:00 AM
    Sorry for a general rant, all of which you will have heard before but heyho.

The 9900 on Vodafone UK (2nd phone after the first bricked) really is not good enough. I am running a shrunk version of .540 with wifi and 3G on, the only apps installed are twitter and facebook set to manual refreshes and whatsapp and BBM running in the background.

I don't really browse the net on my 9900 or really make many phone calls or text messages, I would say I'm a fairly light user but still find myself having to charge it TWICE a day. Once overnight and once in the middle of the day, it is utterly pathetic.

I kept on saying to myself that it will improve with software updates but if anything it's getting worse.

I am also finding 3G reception to be patchy at best when compared with rival smartphones. The AppStore is pathetic and I find the mouse touchpad to be a jumpy over sensitive mess.

For me, blackberry only had 2 selling points, battery life and BBM, now one of those has been taken away and I use whatsapp more than BBM these days, what's the point?
    The point is that if you are unhappy with the phone you should return it.
    I've returned a phone that didn't meet my expectations, it was an iP3GS. I returned a 9930 and got a replacement because of two nukings.

If you're unhappy, you are better served by returning it.

Personally, I go a whole day with one charge and I'm a heavy user. More than you mentioned you are. Perhaps you are in a bad signal area....couldn't day what kind of juice whassap uses. I'm on BBM all day.
    11-25-11 07:01 AM
    so, they could make me a promise over a conference call, then we would meet at a burger king somewhere in saskatchewan, where we could all join pinky fingers, and swear on whatever the promise might have been

over whoppers, like a whole tray of whoppers
    11-25-11 07:04 AM
    ....I don't really browse the net on my 9900 or really make many phone calls or text messages....
    lmao, I'm sure nobody takes you seriously irl either!
    11-25-11 07:06 AM
    My 9900 running.540
    I don't use alots of app, I don't use FB, Twitter, YM, MSN, ETC
    I only use my phone for
    Phone calls
    BBM
    Browsing
    Text message
    I considered myself "heavy " user
    And battery life in this 9900 is terrible
    I charge 3 times a day.
    My daily routines are from 8am to 9pm
    And to accomodate it, I need to charge my phone 3 times !
    I thougth its my battery that's spoiled
    So I bought anothe JM1 battery and stiil the same!
    I thought my phone is faulty, and I get it exchanged as it was bricking anyway
    And yet on the new phone, still the same battery life.

Those of u who have long battery life, I bet 99% that you guys using wifi right ?
    Cause try that wifi does improve the battery life dramatically
    But too bad my work place doesn't have wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-11 07:06 AM
    The point is that if you are unhappy with the phone you should return it.
    I've returned a phone that didn't meet my expectations, it was an iP3GS. I returned a 9930 and got a replacement because of two nukings.

If you're unhappy, you are better served by returning it.

Personally, I go a whole day with one charge and I'm a heavy user. More than you mentioned you are. Perhaps you are in a bad signal area....couldn't day what kind of juice whassap uses. I'm on BBM all day.
    I've had the phone about 3 months so no going back, I thought it would get better with os updates but we are going backwards. I may get a refurbished replacement but thats as good as it will get, always been a blackberry owner, loved my 9780 and may go back to the 9790 if the battery life is normal.

I live and work in London so signal is not an issue, just very dissilusioned with the 9900.
    hzguo likes this.
    11-25-11 07:10 AM
    My 9900 running.540

Those of u who have long battery life, I bet 99% that you guys using wifi right ?
    Cause try that wifi does improve the battery life dramatically
    But too bad my work place doesn't have wifi.

I'm VZW running .374.
    I don't do WiFi during the day, only at night and on weekends. My work doesn't have WiFi.
    Another factor for battery longevity, besides WiFi, has to do with signal. If you are in a poor signal area and your phone has to struggle for a signal the battery will drain faster. I happen to be in a good signal area...there are locations where I know I hit dead spots, and if I'm asking my phone to browse the web in those areas I know that it will have to work harder.
    11-25-11 07:12 AM
    I've had the phone about 3 months so no going back, I thought it would get better with os updates but we are going backwards. I may get a refurbished replacement but thats as good as it will get, always been a blackberry owner, loved my 9780 and may go back to the 9790 if the battery life is normal.

I live and work in London so signal is not an issue, just very dissilusioned with the 9900.
    I remember when I got my 3GS....I did everything I could for the 29 days I had it to increase the battery life and it just didn't happen. So I returned it before I would get stuck with a device I did not like.

I chose to keep my Atrix although the battery life was abysmal. I even gave it a way to a family member, I was so disgusted with it. I recently got it back and I *made* myself tweak the thing to death. As it turns out, I'd no made use of a native app that allows me to shut down apps I don't want or need running, thereby increasing my battery life greatly. I now love using that device.

What I'm saying is that if you can't return it (I would have returned it rather than wait for the battery to get better) you might want to tweak the settings a bit more. You might want to get a holster for it with a magnet which puts the phone to sleep while it's not in use. And, goes without saying, make sure you close out of apps.

My phone is off the charger at 6:15 a.m. and gets put through its paces until around 8:00 p.m. Some days, if I've been particularly chatty, I have to recharge around 3:00. But generally it's a whole day. Of heavy BBM and sometimes voice. My main use is BBM.
    hzguo likes this.
    11-25-11 07:24 AM
    the use of wifi, dramatically improves batt life.
    11-25-11 07:39 AM
    People who complains about battery life on 9900/30 instead of wasting time and complain you better upgrade to OS 540 which has a good reviews especially a battery life. If you afraid to do so then i think you guys didn't grow yet for smartphone devices and need to go back to entry level regular phones, Lol
    11-25-11 07:39 AM
    People who complains about battery life on 9900/30 instead of wasting time and complain you better upgrade to OS 540 which has a good reviews especially a battery life. If you afraid to do so then i think you guys didn't grow yet for smartphone devices and need to go back to entry level regular phones, Lol
    The OP is already running .540

11-25-11 07:43 AM
    The OP is already running .540

oops, sorry then to op, but still addressed to others who not running 540

Thx Phill.
    11-25-11 07:46 AM
    See, my phone is the exact opposite of OP's. I haven't had any issues at all since I got it and the battery lasts all day, sometimes I don't have to charge it until the next day.

11-25-11 07:46 AM
    Is the 9790 supposed to be any better on the battery life?
    11-25-11 08:04 AM
    Is the 9790 supposed to be any better on the battery life?
    It is... same battery, but smaller processor and lower res screen.

11-25-11 08:13 AM
    Okay, to take issue with two of the posters on here who are running .540 and complaining of terrible battery life...

I too upgraded to .540 a week ago and have been giving the battery time to settle in. However a week later I have found that I am getting around 2 hours less usage from it than I did on .353. However with light usage during office hours on 3G/GPRS I can remove it from charge at 8am and still have over 70% life by 6pm. However by midnight I have to charge it...after 6 hours of fairly medium to heavy usage over WiFi. My previous OS version at least let me get to 2am before the wee orange battery light started flashing at me.

Operating systems arent an exact science and what works for some people to improve battery life wont necessarily work for others because of all of the variables. I will be downgrading to .503 at some point soon to see if the battery life improves any.

However, to the OP, if you are having to charge your phone during he day as well as at night, it definitley sounds as though you have a dodgy battery so I would go to Vodafone and ask them to replace the battery.

As for the signal, you say you have compared your signal to that of other phones...were these phones also on Vodafone? I know in my Office that my 9900 on O2-Uk struggles to keep a GPRS signal where as my boss's Droid on 3 gets a great signal.

So the moral of the story is...change your OS to find one that works for you, go to vodafone and get a new battery, and then see how things go from there!
    11-25-11 08:16 AM
    It is... same battery, but smaller processor and lower res screen.

So that's a possible yes then.

May just go back to OS6 and the 9780, at least I know that works and can get a days use from a charge.
    11-25-11 08:18 AM
    I have see a lot of different reviews about the bold 9900 bad and good and making me think twice before actually getting one for myself but in my honest opinion I know othewr smartphones have more to offer but I have been a blackberry user for a long time and I am really comfortable with using a berry and i know there are things that iphone android etc. Have that blackberry don't have yet but honestly everything a blackberry have is what I need and hearing that the bbx phone is gonna be an all touchscreen make me just want a bold.. Blackberry is known for their amazing keyboard and now they gonna be taking that out.. I'm just now waiting to get my hands on a white bold 9900

11-25-11 08:22 AM
    So that's a possible yes then.
    It's a definite yes... and I know because I have one

11-25-11 08:23 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD