I tried searching for an answer before posting but wasn't able to find one. My apologies for my lack of Blackberry knowledge as well.

I am wanting to buy a 9900 and use it on Telus pre-paid but I wanted to get a few questions answered before I do so and not run into any issues.
    I keep reading about the BES/BIS that is needed for the older legacy devices and I am curious if that is only needed for data?

I will using the 9900 as a phone, texting (have a 250 text add-on) and small possibility of email (on wi-fi). I don't need data but want to use wi-fi to hopefully surf, twitter, facebook and whatsapp. Also will be bridging with my Playbook.

Can I do all this without needing a BES/BIS plan?

Thanks in advance.
    09-08-14 11:59 AM
    Hi to have the 9900 fully functioning, BIS is required. They shouldn't be priced too badly.
    09-08-14 12:09 PM
    Hi to have the 9900 fully functioning, BIS is required. They shouldn't be priced too badly.
    Thanks for the reply. If BIS is required for what simple things that I need then I am out. Glad I didn't snag one before posting.
    09-08-14 10:16 PM
    I have a 9900 on telus prepaid as my emergency phone and no data plan. Just pay $10 to renew once in a while and have wifi use. Just set it up yourself online. Don't let telus set it up or they will try like hell to make you think you have to have a data plan

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    09-08-14 10:25 PM
    I have a 9900 on telus prepaid as my emergency phone and no data plan. Just pay $10 to renew once in a while and have wifi use. Just set it up yourself online. Don't let telus set it up or they will try like hell to make you think you have to have a data plan
    Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    Sorry to ask but just so I am clear.. what are you paying $10 to renew?

I currently pay $100 on prepaid so it lasts the year.
    09-09-14 10:40 AM
    You can use the Bold on Telus prepaid without BIS.

It will function like a regular mobile phone with the option of using the internet on wifi.

You will be able to check email through the browser only. ( you cannot setup to receive through the native email app )

Same thing for the rest of the apps.
    Except Whatsapp , this will work on wifi .

If you want to use FB , Twitter , BBM ( apps ) you need to add on a data plan. They start at $ 15 / month.
    Aek29 likes this.
    09-10-14 03:06 AM
    I can't understand why people are so anti-BIS. Not sure how it works on the other side of the pond but here in the UK it's relatively economical to add BIS to your mobile phone plan. With my Bold9900 I used to pay �5 per month for BIS, and that covered all of my data usage - Email, web browsing, FB, twitter etc. You also get data compression with BIS and push Email, so I never had to worry about data charges above and beyond the cost of BIS. Now on a Q10 this is no longer the case, and I have to keep a more careful eye on how much data I'm using to avoid running up excessive charges. I'd be happy to have BIS on the Q10, but it's not an option.
    If you want to use a Bold9900 as a smartphone (and why else would you want a BlackBerry) you'll really need BIS/BES
    09-10-14 03:56 AM
    You can use the Bold on Telus prepaid without BIS.

It will function like a regular mobile phone with the option of using the internet on wifi.

You will be able to check email through the browser only. ( you cannot setup to receive through the native email app )

Same thing for the rest of the apps.
    Except Whatsapp , this will work on wifi .

If you want to use FB , Twitter , BBM ( apps ) you need to add on a data plan. They start at $ 15 / month.
    Thank you goodayeh. That is exactly what i needed to know.
    09-11-14 06:54 PM
    I can't understand why people are so anti-BIS. Not sure how it works on the other side of the pond but here in the UK it's relatively economical to add BIS to your mobile phone plan. With my Bold9900 I used to pay �5 per month for BIS, and that covered all of my data usage - Email, web browsing, FB, twitter etc. You also get data compression with BIS and push Email, so I never had to worry about data charges above and beyond the cost of BIS. Now on a Q10 this is no longer the case, and I have to keep a more careful eye on how much data I'm using to avoid running up excessive charges. I'd be happy to have BIS on the Q10, but it's not an option.
    If you want to use a Bold9900 as a smartphone (and why else would you want a BlackBerry) you'll really need BIS/BES
    My situation is rather unique. I am one of the few that is fine on prepaid with no data at a cost of $100 for the year. My only reason for wanting a 9900 is for the rock solid reception (or so I have read/heard) which is my primary concern. Not interested in it's other capabilities.

I am not anti-BIS but just don't want to pay $15 (just for BBM) or $25 (for the rest) for a BIS service that I won't use.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    09-11-14 07:05 PM
    A Blackberry without BIS (and without data, let's be clear)
    will work just fine for phone calls and text all day long.

When you get on WIfi you will be able to do EVERYTHING else.

BIS does the following:
    1) Well it gives you data, as in internet while you are in the bus with no wifi around I mean.
    2) gives you BBM Without it you will not have BBM
    3) It'll give you push email (as in you're at home and you get an email on your work email or gmail or yahoo and it BEEPS telling you there's a new message (you don't get this without BIS, but there are other apps that can do this, very ugly apps, but there are)

Having said that Telus (for prepaid)
    gives you (for $15) not only BBM, but facebook and twitter (as if full access to those two sites) and for $25 gives you unlimited text (in canada) for your $10 you only get 250 (but that's 250 either way)
    Aek29 likes this.
    09-11-14 08:03 PM