Has anyone done the upgrade from 9700 to 9900 using Desktop Manager Device Switch? I read somewhere that it won't work, but I don't know any other way to do it. Thanks.
    08-15-11 09:13 PM
    What I did was just run a back up on my 9700 with all my contacts, calender, sms, emails and device settings. (DO NOT make a back up of your apps because that's why can screw things up)

Then I plugged in the new 9900 and restore the data from that backup. I went to App World on my phone. It will ask do you want to switch the App World account from the old one. Press yes and download all your apps compatible for your 9900. If you brought apps from crackberry you change your PIN on crackberry app store and redownload them one at a time again.

I did NOT use the device switcher feature at all. Hope this helps... Welcome to the fast Blackberry Bold 9900.
    StephE likes this.
    08-15-11 09:19 PM
    I will download my contacts via the e-mail setup assistant. I don't want any old apps slowing my 9900 down.

That is...once AT&T releases the Bold 9900.

I forgot to mention: if you want to properly transfer your BBM contacts and avoid double PINs, then use the switch device with just contacts and BBM, then leave the SIM in the old phone, delete all data, and let it connect to the server. ONce that is complete, then your PIN will be removed from all lists. YOu can then swap the SIM and connect to the server. <-- I had a double PIN problem, and this was my solution to avoiding it again.
    08-15-11 09:29 PM
    I can't do that because when I get the 9900 the store takes my 9700 back. So I have to do the 9900 after the fact when I get home to my pc. I will run a full back up of 9700 on Desktop Mgr before I head to the store............
    08-15-11 09:52 PM
    I switched from a 9700 to 9900 with no problems... Just backup your data, plug in 9900, restore and ur on your way.
    08-16-11 01:21 AM
    I didnt use switch. I used backup and then restore.
    08-16-11 01:41 AM
    Very helpful, I am anxiously waiting for tomorrow to get my new 9900!!
    11-05-11 06:13 PM
    I went from a 9700 to a 9900 using the Device Switch in DM - no problems whatsoever!
    11-07-11 01:08 PM
    I went from a 9700 to a 9900 using the Device Switch in DM - no problems whatsoever!
    Same for me.
    11-07-11 02:33 PM
    This has been the most utterly frustrating and disappointing switch of all my devices. This is the 5th unit have purchased and never had any issues in switch device. Am currently on my 5th attempt to resolve this one and have given up on the Desktop Software as clearly it doesn't work.

Macbook Air

Simple use Blackberry Protect and then backup your BB data to email address and reload from there - trying any other way is ridiculous - i need to get back to work and not screw around with BB software.

Next will be an iPhone if they can't sort this nonsense out
    12-28-11 07:38 PM
    ok have used Blackberry Protect to get all the data back however the BB Messenger - loaded the contacts by sending file across - however now have to reinvade everyone and this is embarrassing as well as inconsiderate

Any ideas

12-28-11 08:20 PM
    You may want to check with one person to start to see if you are still reachable via BBM- mine changed the PIN automatically when I used device switch.
    12-29-11 06:04 AM
    When I get a new device I prefer to start nice and clean. So I let my new device go through its start-up procedure. Then I connect it to my computer and using DM I'll do a one way sync from Outlook of my contacts, calendar, memos and tasks. Next I configure the new phone the way I want it and begin getting to know it. Then I begin to re-install my apps one at a time.

I know this sounds time consuming but I don't have any problems and the phone runs smoothly.
    12-29-11 06:52 AM
    I didnt use switch. I used backup and then restore.
    I have literally just completed my switch, awesome phone!

Used backup and restore, worked great.
    12-29-11 07:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD