I'm a bit confused, the latest OS released from my carrier is 7.1.0.342 yet I have 7.1.0.714 installed on my BB, and the update was recived and installed from BlackBerry Desktop Manager, how is that possible? All I did was connect my BB and the update showed up, where did the upgrade come from and why am I not recieving any new once even tho there are newer versions available?
    01-08-13 03:42 AM
    Firstly do you have automatic update set to on for Desktop Manager? Secondly, it is up to the individual carriers which OS they release. RIM release their OS's to the carriers, not end users like us. So i would check the settings on DM and turn of automatic update
    01-08-13 04:05 AM
    I have no idea, didn't know there was a setting for that... where do I check if it's automatic or not?
    Why turn it off, my BB works perfectly and I want the updates? If I turn it off, how do I know when there is a new release?

Is it possible that a carrier releases an update without putting it up on the software download page?
    01-08-13 04:26 AM
    If you want the updates then that is fine, no problem, just leave all as it is. It will give you a choice to update or downgrade, as the case may be for some. Carriers only release OS's they want to release, after they add their bits and pieces, though usually done via service books. Just use DM now and then to check for updates. Use menu
    01-08-13 04:42 AM
    Okay, but i'm still a bit confused how I got the update when my carrier hasn't released it...?
    I tweeted my carrier and asked them to release the newest OS, sometimes us users have to remind them to do things... BlackBerries are pretty unusual here in Sweden so I guess it works a bit different.
    Thanx for the help!
    01-08-13 05:30 AM
    If you want the latest OS and your carrier doesnt supply it you have to download and install it yourself. have a look in the 'sticky's' at the top of this forum. Also lots of help and advice here
    here is the link
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-os
    the latest is the .794
    If you are going to go down the route of installing your own OS, which is easy to do, I suggest you search and read up on the subject..... lots of threads on here
    01-08-13 05:38 AM
    Thanks I know, I did that on my 9700 but that's not what I mean... I'm wondering how I can have an OS installed on my BB that my carrier haven't released yet? Where did it come from? I always asumed the OS updates in Desktop Manager came from the carrier...
    01-08-13 06:46 AM
    right thats clear now lol. was it on phone when you got it?
    01-08-13 07:02 AM
    It's OK! No the phone had OS 7.0 when I got it, after that I upgraded everytime it's been available in DM (never downloaded files from anywhere else). For some reason I checked my carriers download site and saw my OS was newer than the one they have.
    01-08-13 08:32 AM
    .714 may not be showing as an update on RIM's device software site, but it has already been adopted as the latest official OS by almost every EMEA carrier.
    01-08-13 09:43 AM