It is, longer than my BlackBerry Q10 or classic lasted, that's for sure! :P

Typed from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk for BlackBerry 7.1
    06-23-15 08:47 AM
    Does one need cloning. or it works out of box ?
    06-24-15 04:20 AM
    Does one need cloning. or it works out of box ?
    We just charge them overnight in a stand alone charger, pop into device and use till drained to shutdown at least once. Then just use. No "cloning" as I'm familiar tho. The stand alone charger required some slight pocket knife trimming.
    06-24-15 06:56 AM
    It is, longer than my BlackBerry Q10 or classic lasted, that's for sure! :P

Typed from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk for BlackBerry 7.1
    Yeah, that fifth day is a stretch. Too much worry that it might not endure a critical voice call on that fifth day. Also too much batt to batt variation. My routine with these has been to swap Mon, Weds, Fri. The weakest rides the weekend comfortably and leaves some margin for critical calls Sunday night, for example.

This setup provides endurance significantly beyond my Classic's but things aren't quite so simple in low signal industrial environments. 9900 can burn up a big batt in a day's time with heavy voice & weak signal. Classic seems to take less low signal hit... Paratek??
    06-24-15 07:24 AM
    I just bought this 2430 mAh batt from Amazon for $8.99 delivered. The write-up sure sounded good, so I went for it. If it doesn't work, I'm only out 9 bucks. Odd there are no reviews. That caused me to pause, but I decided to try one anyway. Will report if it works out OK. It's not 5k mAh, but it is stronger than the stock battery and fits in without a larger battery door cover.

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Gold Extended Blackberry BOLD 9900 High Capacity Battery J-M1 For BlackBerry Bold 9790 / Blackberry BOLD 9900 9930 / Blackberry TORCH 9860 9850 2430 mAh
    idssteve likes this.
    06-24-15 09:34 PM
    I just bought this 2430 mAh batt from Amazon for $8.99 delivered. The write-up sure sounded good, so I went for it. If it doesn't work, I'm only out 9 bucks. Odd there are no reviews. That caused me to pause, but I decided to try one anyway. Will report if it works out OK. It's not 5k mAh, but it is stronger than the stock battery and fits in without a larger battery door cover.Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Gold Extended Blackberry BOLD 9900 High Capacity Battery J-M1 For BlackBerry Bold 9790 / Blackberry BOLD 9900 9930 / Blackberry TORCH 9860 9850 2430 mAh
    I have two of the same battery, JM1, 2430 mAh, it really is either 1200 or 1230 mAh, not what they claim it is. Way too light-weight to be that much, or it would weigh the same as the Q10's 2100 mAh battery.
    BBerryPowerUser and idssteve like this.
    06-24-15 10:29 PM
    I have two of the same battery, JM1, 2430 mAh, it really is either 1200 or 1230 mAh, not what they claim it is. Way too light-weight to be that much, or it would weigh the same as the Q10's 2100 mAh battery.
    Thanks.

Well, worst case scenario is I have a new "regular" battery for my 9900, and it probably could use a new one soon. I figured that it was too good to be true, but for the price, I decided to try it.
    06-25-15 02:51 PM
    I wouldn't touch that battery with a barge pole.

Playing defective lottery with a cheap Chinese battery in a Berry is asking for trouble.
    06-27-15 02:58 AM
    Barring some breakthrough, LiOn energy density will generally wind up being a function of reliability and/or cost. Hard to beat OEM for consistency. Sweet thing about our swappable batt devices is how easy it is to experiment. Bumm batteries CAN trigger some perplexing maladies that you'd never dream related sooo... At your own risk... .

We have over a hundred OEM batteries floating around our facility with a carton of new ones in the breakroom and an empty Folgers container for discarding (recycling) weak ones. The discarded ones look pretty rough from sharing pocket space with keys, etc. Some of them are visibly bent! No one has fess'd up to that yet... Lol. Amazingly our safety guys have never expressed concern over the Folgers container... Go figure. Lol. It never gets more than half dozen full anyway.

Some of us are still testing the giant 5ahr batts and really like them when they fit the job. They add size & weight that just isn't needed on some days. They don't fit the SmoothTalker cradles in our service trucks and really require a larger holster. They're also uncomfortably large for pocket carry. I generally carry a compact OEM batt in pocket for backup.

Some of us really like the added ledge the oversized cover provides for added grip. I don't use NFC but one guy reports that the NFC contacts on the extended cover are "tricky". FWIW.

We have not yet tested actual mah capacity and there is quite a batt to batt variation but we generally count on them to last about 3x OEM. Sort of subjective since no two days are the same for us.

Will continue to update.
    06-27-15 07:24 AM
    For sure those 2430 mAh are full fake. I own the same battery and is much worse than JM1 original 1230 mAh.
    Suffers from ramdom battey level drops to unstable performance and life.
    I found if you don�t use Blackberry protect or BB messenger, just remove it, do it a battery and NFC contact clean, wipe device removing every unnecessary app and a smart optimization makes 9900 battery life improve a lot. 25% Better.
    I agree with your oppinion. Get the original battery and forget those 2430 mAh. Are deception
    idssteve likes this.
    06-29-15 06:34 PM
    For sure those 2430 mAh are full fake. I own the same battery and is much worse than JM1 original 1230 mAh.
    Suffers from ramdom battey level drops to unstable performance and life.
    I found if you don�t use Blackberry protect or BB messenger, just remove it, do it a battery and NFC contact clean, wipe device removing every unnecessary app and a smart optimization makes 9900 battery life improve a lot. 25% Better.
    I agree with your oppinion. Get the original battery and forget those 2430 mAh. Are deception
    Good confirmation. Just to be extra clear, the 2430mAh batteries are NOT the "5000mAh" batts that are subject of this thread. While i believe the 5Ah batts are "questionable quality" they do provide greater endurance than OEM. Mostly by virtue of being physically larger. FWIW.
    06-29-15 07:50 PM
    OK, I have been using this new 2430 for a while now. Quite simply, it's amazing. I can easily get through an entire day with it, and have charge to spare. Even with heavy use.

Perhaps I got lucky. I bet there are a lot of different manufacturers of this battery, and the QC is probably not the best. Mine absolutely rocks the charging world. To see 3/4 charge left at 2:00 PM after a heavy morning of work and then surfing and streaming at lunch and then a conference call at 1:15, I'm amazed. It sure is whipping the OEM Battery's behind at present. I guess the only thing is, HOW LONG will it last? For $9.00 from Amazon, I'm blown away. It has the staying power of my old 9780.

I have no affiliation, and I'm not touting nor recommending it. From what I read, many are VERY disappointed in these, and that they are indeed fakes. But my "Fake" is working as advertised, and I'm blown away.
    Last edited by BBerryPowerUser; 07-02-15 at 09:29 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    07-02-15 05:01 PM
    OK, I have been using this new 2430 for a while now. Quite simply, it's amazing. I can easily get through an entire day with it, and have charge to spare. Even with heavy use.

Perhaps I got lucky. I bet there are a lot of different manufacturers of this battery, and the QC is probably not the best. Mine absolutely rocks the charging world. To see 3/4 charge left at 2:00 PM after a heavy morning of work and then surfing and streaming at lunch and then a conference call at 1:15, I'm amazed. It sure is whipping the OEM Battery's behind at present. I guess the only thing is, HOW LONG will it last? For $9.00 from Amazon, I'm blown away. It has the staying power of my old 9780.

I have no affiliation, and I'm not touting nor recommending it. From what I read, many are VERY disappointed in these, and that they are indeed fakes. But my "Fake" is working as advertised, and I'm blown away.
    Excellent! Great to have validation of a source for truly good Golds! Just to be clear, this is the "Gold" JM1 that fits under the OEM cover? Can you provide the Amazon link so we're sure to get the true "Gold"? Thanks!
    07-03-15 08:26 AM
    Excellent! Great to have validation of a source for truly good Golds! Just to be clear, this is the "Gold" JM1 that fits under the OEM cover? Can you provide the Amazon link so we're sure to get the true "Gold"? Thanks!

Well, I sure hope that ALL of the batteries they ship work as good as mine. That's my concern. Quality Control. If anyone does order, there is no guarantee, but all I can say is mine is amazing. What we don't know because mine is relatively new is How LONG will this battery last? So far, so good.

Mine was ordered through MorePower (Battery Expert) out of NY via Amazon.

Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...UvbUpU11762705

Good luck. I suppose the worst that could happen is you get a spare battery that lasts as long as your OEM for a decent price. After all, it's only $8.99 with free shipping. If you end up like me, you will have a battery that powers your Berry well into the night without having to Re-Charge.
    Last edited by BBerryPowerUser; 07-03-15 at 12:51 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    07-03-15 12:13 PM
    [QUOTE=BBerryPowerUser;11742560]I just bought this 2430 mAh batt from Amazon for $8.99 delivered. The write-up sure sounded good, so I went for it. If it doesn't work, I'm only out 9 bucks. Odd there are no reviews. That caused me to pause, but I decided to try one anyway. Will report if it works out OK. It's not 5k mAh, but it is stronger than the stock battery and fits in without a larger battery door cover.

Dude, it's not possible to get x2 bigger battery with the same size! It's a cheap Chinese peace of work..

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 09:39 AM
    May be possible one Chinesse manufacturer are selling a different Gold type with the logo of "2430 mAh" and this type may have a real 1300-1450 mAh 5,4 Wh. But normally this batterys have 1200 mAh or less capacity. You can simply weigh one an compare. Bigger one have more weight.
    But I repeat normally those 2430 mAh batterys are fake, last less, and have a worse performance. But if you want to risk ..
    Also I found a 2650 mAh Gold type. This one seems to be a 1350-1450 mAh. But none of them are big capacity, for that they must be twice as large than standard.
    07-07-15 06:02 PM
    How bout almost three times... OEM about .155" thick, 5Ah "rated" about .425" thick. Makes the 99 weight feel almost like a Classic. Just easier to hold.
    5000mAh MPJ aftermarket battery-new-old-batts.jpg

As mentioned previously, I like the shelf on back for added grasp and OEM desktop cradle fits fine, but they don't fit the SmoothTalker hands free cradles used in our work truck fleet so... i still wind up using OEMs when driving.
    07-08-15 10:52 AM
    Anyone figure out what a "Battrery" is? LOL, see photo above... it WOULD be more re-assuring if it were properly spelled... LOL

update: I COUNT on mine for 2-3 days, when backing up my Classic. Less with heavy use in low signal area. They'll stretch further but i'm not in to guessing during critical calls. Rather know than hope.
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-08-15 at 11:15 AM.
    07-08-15 11:02 AM
    Guys in our shop have hacked up an external battery charging cradle & usb cable for use as a charging source to help power our Classics. Dual use for dual carry... They're still refining and figuring out how to charge AND power with same fixture... Too ugly for them to let me post photo so... updates later.
    07-08-15 11:28 AM
    @idssteve

I know you and your company has done various things to the 9900 and research regarding the battery performance.

Is it possible to modify the hardware (other than the battery). No answer is good for me.

Ty

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 07:12 PM
    @idssteve

I know you and your company has done various things to the 9900 and research regarding the battery performance.

Is it possible to modify the hardware (other than the battery). No answer is good for me.

Ty

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, most of my crew are "hobbyists" that are getting paid for doing what we love to do...

We couldn't market that battery contraption if we wanted to so our intention is to build and refine for our internal use and then post the surprisingly cheap & easy components and plans for fellow hobbyists. Anonymously, of course. Old habits. Remember the days of Cap'n Crunch whistles and radshack parts Phreak boxes??? LOL... A couple in the crew think we're living in an ancient past where folks enjoyed building things... We'll see...

We are toying with other things but... you know how it goes.
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-09-15 at 02:26 AM.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    07-09-15 02:03 AM
    Please accept my apologies for failing to update this better. It's been over a year with these and it has been interesting.

AFAIK, these are no longer available. We were eventually able to get a reasonable mAh measurement on these. Using our own "in house" procedures. That's not as simple as checking your car battery, however. Actual device endurance is greatly impacted by device ps algorithms, among other things. I don't recall our actual numbers but will report them ASAP, fwiw.

I do recall that out of the four MPJs I bought off eBay, and several more purchased by coworkers, only one battery still stands out as exceptional. We actually measured nearly 5Ah out of that single battery and my 99s' endurance also corroborates that #. On THAT single battery.

Another was doa. The other two of mine, and several of coworkers, measured closer to 3Ah. About the same as Seidio innocell. Even though these are physically larger and heavier than Seidio. Device endurance seems to corroborate this also.

Our best explanation is that mpj obviously tried to make a 5000mAh battery. Only one of the seven we tested actually measured up. Not sure what the story is.

A year later, that single Horse of a battery seems even better. The others seem weaker yet. Still 2X OEM but...

Since these are no longer available, I would recommend an extended battery by Seidio. Others might be worthwhile also. important to remember that increasing energy density into an OEM sized jm1 risks sacrificing durability. Physically larger & heavier batteries can be the "real deal", tho
    06-04-16 12:18 PM
    How bout almost three times... OEM about .155" thick, 5Ah "rated" about .425" thick. Makes the 99 weight feel almost like a Classic. Just easier to hold.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New and old batts.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	361503

As mentioned previously, I like the shelf on back for added grasp and OEM desktop cradle fits fine, but they don't fit the SmoothTalker hands free cradles used in our work truck fleet so... i still wind up using OEMs when driving.
    whoa, that really IS a MONSTER, either that or your 9900 is pregnant. Nice!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-04-16 03:16 PM
    ...either that or your 9900 is pregnant.
    I'm hoping for a cute little silver one!
    06-04-16 03:33 PM
    you know Steve I'm pretty sure I saw some 5000 mah batteries in Canadian Amazon when I was hunting a while back, I'll take a look later. I remember a "Gold" brand from China I think......

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    idssteve likes this.
    06-04-16 04:11 PM
56 123