For those of you cb members lucky enough to have a new 99XX device in your hands, does it have the mobile hotspot application like the BB roadmap stated it would? (at least for the CDMA 9930)

Or, if it doesn't, does the device have the technology to get it in a future upgrade?
    07-10-11 11:23 AM
    there was another thread with the same question ... http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...w-bold-627962/
    07-10-11 11:28 AM
    Ok thanks. I'm on my iPad and the search didn't come up with anything.

But I think vzw will allow it, since they have it with the droid phones. And as stated in the other thread, the tech is there, it's just carrier specific.
    07-10-11 11:39 AM
    I have had two 9900 units and neither had hotspot. I was told this is a carrier elected addition to their device.
    07-10-11 02:35 PM
    I have had two 9900 units and neither had hotspot. I was told this is a carrier elected addition to their device.

Were those the versions with AT&T bands? Obviously we haven't seen any branded phones yet but I wonder if the bands were AT&T.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-11 06:21 PM
    i was just old by a moderator (BigBadWulf ) that all blackberries had mobile hotspots. he said hotspot browsers were the same thing as a mobile hotspot.

i don't think that is true, but i got tired of arguing with him.

has anyone heard if the vzn version of this phone with have a mobile hotspot option?
    07-17-11 06:01 PM
    i was just old by a moderator (BigBadWulf ) that all blackberries had mobile hotspots. he said hotspot browsers were the same thing as a mobile hotspot.

There are not related the slightest bit lol
    07-17-11 06:04 PM

has anyone heard if the vzn version of this phone with have a mobile hotspot option?
    I'm sure he didn't say that. Must be a misunderstanding.
    07-17-11 06:14 PM
    You hardly argued with me. Now I know what you're talking about. You want the phone to generate a WiFi spot. Nice try at embarrassing me. I'll keep that in mind.

No, BlackBerries to date have not had that ability, just USB tether and blue tooth. Hopefully when a full OS7 comes out, and the 99xx are released at least some carriers will allow it without extra fees.
    bighap likes this.
    07-17-11 06:21 PM
    not trying to embarrass anyone, just trying to get correct info in an area where there is a lot of confusing misinformation.

so at least the technology is there and it will be left up to the carrier, correct? there is no way vzn will make it available for free, they already have published mobile hotspot prices...and they just went up last week.
    07-17-11 06:46 PM
    Any word on Sprint? I have a Playbook and mobile tethering sucks but is only $15 per month. 4G model isn't out yet but it's too late anyway because I already own the WIFI only version. Still wouldn't want to pay $50 per month for a separate data plan when it did come out. Bridge doesn't work well for browsing because that's not what it was really intended for. Hotspot would be a very compelling reason to remain with BB and get the 9930. Thanks
    07-23-11 12:46 AM
    I'm wondering if a company like "Tether" could make it happen? Granted, I am very happy with Tether and that mostly satisfies my need for "hotspot".
    Sidenote: I am careful not to abuse bandwidth.
    07-23-11 12:43 PM
    to me this issue is similar to bridge [see playbook forum]; isn't it all happening at the 'phone' level? meaning the phones are all coming with the necessary hardware to make this possible, but the carriers elect to have the option disappear on their branded OS's.

Couldn't we technically just load up an OS from a carrier that does allow it... and then go to town? On AT&T's end, wouldn't they just see data being used by your blackberry? how would they monitor if it was from hotspot usage or your own browsing?

The data request would be coming from a different device to your blackberry : your blackberry would send & receive data from carrier : and then data sent from blackberry back to the originally requesting device. The communication of the 'foreign device' is all within your local "blackberry-created" hotspot network, no? if i understand anything correctly, it's very different from "officially tethering" which enables "modem mode" on your phone and actually communicates differently back to the network using isp codes (and that's bluetooth/usb, not wifi-based).

If RIM is building the hardware into the phone - this is all just a matter of utilizing that hardware with the correct software I think...

Furthermore - let's say that AT&T or other big carriers did release the phones with hotspot enabled - it surely wouldn't be free. I think members here would immediately get to working on a way to either:

1) pay a one-time fee for an app like tether
    2) workaround, OTA, side-load, etc. and do it free in hopes of not getting caught.

Isn't that how some iPhone and Android users get by without paying for it... by manipulating software (jailbreaking, rooting, etc. etc.)?

If we did get a workaround, that would be two RIM-consumer wins over AT&T's extra fees this year! They might just start hating blackberry devices (maybe that's why they are mum on OS7...!)

sorry for the unorganized stream of consciousness - I've had a lot of coffee today.. heh i'm also partial to AT&T and the bridge issue, hence my frequent mention of big blue
    Last edited by 2001bmw330xi; 07-23-11 at 05:52 PM.
    07-23-11 02:56 PM
    I know that AT&T will want $$$ if they include it on their 9900 units.
    07-23-11 05:40 PM
    07-23-11 06:32 PM
    in the android world, they call it rooting and you can supposedly root your phone and get the hotspot free. i have a 4G mobile hotspot on my charge and on my vzn account online it just shows one data usage section. it does not differentiate between hotspot and phone data.

it does, however, require a network and password, just like wi-fi. a mobile hotspot is just like wi-fi, except the 4G version is faster than most wi-fi hotspots...for a number of reasons.
    07-24-11 03:42 PM
    in the android world, they call it rooting and you can supposedly root your phone and get the hotspot free.
    I have a T-Mobile G2 Android and it has the hotspot feature built in, you don't have to root. I have never been charged extra for it but I really never used it that much.
    07-24-11 05:08 PM
    in the android world, they call it rooting and you can supposedly root your phone and get the hotspot free. i have a 4G mobile hotspot on my charge and on my vzn account online it just shows one data usage section. it does not differentiate between hotspot and phone data.

it does, however, require a network and password, just like wi-fi. a mobile hotspot is just like wi-fi, except the 4G version is faster than most wi-fi hotspots...for a number of reasons.
    All my rrecent T-Mobile phones have had hotspot out of the box. Verizon is notorious for locking down these features.
    07-24-11 05:36 PM
    verizon's was free for a while, until a couple of weeks ago when they discontinued unlimited data. i got grandfathered in on the unlimited part, but it cost $30. but the speed is blazing. i use it at home at lot for my lap top cause its much faster than my cable modem.
    07-25-11 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD