As a pretty mild to heavy BB user, I decided to test how long the battery could last without plugging it in whatsoever with regular usage (i.e. until it says battery drained and shuts off by itself).

To my surprise, I was able to get two full days out of it. One thing I noticed is when the battery level turns yellow, it still lasted several hours before going to red, and then lasted for a while longer before shutting itself off.

I admit that I jumped the gun in previous weeks of usage by plugging in my BB into the outlet whenever the battery level comes down to 25% (Thinking that it'd die soon). At least now I know that it will go on for a while after hitting the 25% mark.

I've been on the official .439 since it came out.

I'm already pretty vigilant and conservative with battery life, so I fully exit apps I don't use, run wifi-manager, tweak display settings etc...

Just a note, I tried the same test again with all these apps running in the background: Beweather, score mobile, google maps, flixster, Stocks+, BB Traffic, Weather Channel, Poynt (With some of them updating regularly) + regular e-mail and BBM usage, and only got about 16 hours before it drained completely. So it does matter how many apps you leave running
    10-31-11 09:05 PM
    Well ya more apps running and syncing the more power will be consumed.

But 2 days I am very surprised. I would not consider my self a mild user, even if I tried. I would still be stuck in heavy user mode.

9-10 hours on avg now.
    10-31-11 10:01 PM
    I dont get 2days but I could squeeze out 1.5days as a mild to heavy user. For example today Ive been on the phone for about 3hrs, avg amount of in/out emails is around 200 a day. Occasionally use BBM (not heavily, mild to be accurate), dont have many apps open either. I still got about 25% battery left according to Meterberry.

I know alot of people complain about the battery usage on the new 9900. But I had the problem on day one (no usage for 3hrs and it was already drained 30%). I re-wiped it, and this time did not do a device switch, just let the BES activate it (most of my data was restored by BES anyways) and manually reloaded the apps. After that, battery life went up bigtime, none of this 10-15%/hr rate with little to no use.

Dixit
    10-31-11 10:14 PM
    I'm on .374 and my battery life seems erratic lately. On Saturday I had to charge 2 times throughout the day because it was hitting around 30-40% each and today after 13 hours of heavy usage I am at 55%. Weird =\
    10-31-11 10:33 PM
    I dont get 2days but I could squeeze out 1.5days as a mild to heavy user. For example today Ive been on the phone for about 3hrs, avg amount of in/out emails is around 200 a day. Occasionally use BBM (not heavily, mild to be accurate), dont have many apps open either. I still got about 25% battery left according to Meterberry.

I know alot of people complain about the battery usage on the new 9900. But I had the problem on day one (no usage for 3hrs and it was already drained 30%). I re-wiped it, and this time did not do a device switch, just let the BES activate it (most of my data was restored by BES anyways) and manually reloaded the apps. After that, battery life went up bigtime, none of this 10-15%/hr rate with little to no use.

Dixit
    Yes, I see something similar to the OP, about two days before I need to plug it in. I use wifi during the day, and i think that makes a significant difference. I also did not use device switch, but loaded apps manually. twitter and facebook are on 1hr refresh times, and i have just a few other non data apps running in the background.
    10-31-11 10:38 PM
    Yes, I see something similar to the OP, about two days before I need to plug it in. I use wifi during the day, and i think that makes a significant difference. I also did not use device switch, but loaded apps manually. twitter and facebook are on 1hr refresh times, and i have just a few other non data apps running in the background.
    Yeap, Im about the same. Forgot to mention that Wifi on all the time (and used), Bluetooth on all the time (and used). I work out of my house, so the wifi is constantly being used to receive the emails. Bluetooth is used mainly when I get on 30-60min conference calls (just use my jawbone headset). I really dont have any battery complaints. I had a Torch 9800 before this and I feel Im getting the same battery life, probably even better actually. That one daily towards around 9pm or so, Id be in the 20-25% mark. This one Im at 30-40% on the same usage.

Dixit
    10-31-11 10:42 PM
    I do use wifi wherever it is available, as I've read it uses way less battery power when transferring data than the native cell radio.

I use it at home, and at work, and use wifi manager to shut it off when I'm out of range. A few other profiles for friends' and family's places.
    10-31-11 11:34 PM
    Same as OP.

1.5-2 days. Mild to heavy usage.
    I might give using wifi while i'm at home a shot. i always thought, all other things being equal, that wifi would consumer more battery...
    10-31-11 11:43 PM
    I have tried each and every solution on this forum.I can even list them for you guys.

1. upgrading to .440 from .296
    2. draining battery to 0% for 2 days.
    3. wiping the phone completely for any garbage left over while restoring from old 9000.
    4. downgrading to stock .296 (advised by Orange UK)
    5. Lowering the brightness and refresh period for apps etc etc etc.
    6. bluetooth off, wifi off.
    7. and other 1000 tips

But, nothing has helped. on a normal day (usage- 4,5 BBM & whatsapp + 3,4 emails + 5,6 webpages + 30 mins of music) battery will last only 6-7 hours with 3G on and on GPRS it will last 9-10 hours.

It is really frustrating for me. I have always loved my Bolds.... but this bad boy is really annoying.
    11-01-11 12:09 PM
    I have tried each and every solution on this forum.I can even list them for you guys.

1. upgrading to .440 from .296
    2. draining battery to 0% for 2 days.
    3. wiping the phone completely for any garbage left over while restoring from old 9000.
    4. downgrading to stock .296 (advised by Orange UK)
    5. Lowering the brightness and refresh period for apps etc etc etc.
    6. bluetooth off, wifi off.
    7. and other 1000 tips

But, nothing has helped. on a normal day (usage- 4,5 BBM & whatsapp + 3,4 emails + 5,6 webpages + 30 mins of music) battery will last only 6-7 hours with 3G on and on GPRS it will last 9-10 hours.

It is really frustrating for me. I have always loved my Bolds.... but this bad boy is really annoying.
    that's pretty bad ... where's ur battery made?

i've played my music for 4 hours while cleaning my house on the weekend ... my battery drained about 4% .. that's with wifi on, sending 1 or 2 bbms and one phone call from my mom for 30seconds..

i had similar drainage to you on my first 9900 which was made in mexico with a battery made in Japan..

now i have one that was made in Canada, and battery made in Korea

the only thing that i notice fast drainage is when i browse for along time.. and when i had Kakao talk installed
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 11-01-11 at 12:21 PM.
    11-01-11 12:15 PM
    try turning off location services.
    11-01-11 12:18 PM
    I have disabled location services,location aiding; I don't use them at all.

Battery cell is made in Korea and assembled in China, the phone itself is made in Hungary. I guess I have to buy a new battery because after reading all the post in the forum about the "good" battery life, I feel jealous.

But I am waiting for a new OS to drop in. May be it can provide some relief from this misery....
    11-01-11 01:21 PM
    I have disabled location services,location aiding; I don't use them at all.

Battery cell is made in Korea and assembled in China, the phone itself is made in Hungary. I guess I have to buy a new battery because after reading all the post in the forum about the "good" battery life, I feel jealous.

But I am waiting for a new OS to drop in. May be it can provide some relief from this misery....
    hopefully... i wonder why the battery life is so all over the map..

take off the charger at 6:46am.. it;s 2:51 and i'm at 72%
    11-01-11 01:51 PM
    I hit red by 4pm today...off the charger at 730am

11-01-11 04:04 PM
    I too struggle with battery life, in fact I've come to have a routine. I wake up in the morning and turn off 4g(hspa+) I can deal with a slower connection even though I should not have too.

When I can I use the wifi, getting data from wifi is less draining then using 4g for data intense applications like youtube (which I rarely use).

I spend 3 hours a day on the road so I need bluetooth, but always turn it off indoors.

The first month I had this phone I would get a full day easily, the day would end in the yellow. Now my day ends in Red, if I can make it home at all.

Man I love this phone but never had this problem with my old Bold. I never had to touch the 3g and bluetooth stayed on whether I was using it or not. In fact last time I had a car charger was when I was a Windows Mobile Fanboy, but it appears I may need one now.

I've heard that it is better to only fully charge and then fully discharge your battery. As opposed to putting it on the charge when its a bit low for 20 minutes to get a bit more juice. Any thoughts?
    11-01-11 04:36 PM
    1st phone lasted 6-8hrs, new one lasts more than 2 days. Mild user.
    11-02-11 01:54 AM
    I get similar usage. The phone is within work or home wifi most of the time when this happens. As soon as I start depending on cell, I think the battery drains faster and it can only last a day.
    11-02-11 07:07 AM
    Those who "claimed" that their battery life is awesome in this phone, please try to turn off the Wi-fi
    I'm wondering is that the "wi-fi" effect" or not. Thank you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-11 08:08 AM
    I get similar usage. The phone is within work or home wifi most of the time when this happens. As soon as I start depending on cell, I think the battery drains faster and it can only last a day.
    No question the battery would drain at least a little fast on cell versus WiFi.

I'm a mod-heavy user and easily get 24hrs (that's with various feeds pulling on the hour, WiFi only on at home, 4G-2G [constantly switching while at work] and location services on).
    11-02-11 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD