I bought a a 2.1 amp dual (4.2A total) car charger with USB connections for $17+shipping. When I plug my 9900 into this it complains not enough power to charge phone.

Something is strange. When I plug the phone into the base station my battery monitor app say battery status 10101 (anyone know what that means)?

Any idea what's going on? How can a 2.1 amp USB port not have enough current to charge this thing?
    03-25-12 08:19 PM
    the specs advertised lied about the power output (to low).....or its to much current flow for the 9900 (to high)

i think the 9900 needs 450ma to 1A of current MAX to charge the phone....if you go over that current specs i'm pretty sure the phone is smart enough to prevent it from charging so you don't damage the unit or battery.
    03-25-12 08:29 PM
    It is probably made for an iPad, not a BlackBerry. You will need to use a charge only cable for the phone to charge with it. It has to do with the wiring of either the socket or the cable. For the phone to know it has a charge source, there needs to be some resistance between the data lines. An iPad/iPhone charge cable has a resistor built in, the BlackBerry doesn't. AT&T sells a BlackBerry charge only cable for use in your situation.
    03-25-12 09:08 PM
    You can create your own charge cable by cutting open the cable and shorting the green and white wires at the device connector end. This tells the device that it's connected to a charging current source.
    Or you can buy an iGo charging cable and tip from The Source for $9.95 each
    For more information on the USB charging spec Google it.
    04-01-12 08:57 AM
    Its annoying.. The same car charger can change a 9800 but not a 9900 and nobody seems to know why, which makes me wonder why nobody knows.

All I hear are some of their own personal assumption that the quality of the charger isn't good, not a certified RIM charger etc.

- Charles
    04-01-12 10:43 AM
    Read this article USB Charging Guide | Anything But iPod especially on the Block USB Charging part.

ITs silly that manufacturer's support the Micro-USB charging port as a universal charging port for phones and yet some try to avoid this standard and try to create something else

- Charles
    04-01-12 10:54 AM
    I use a 2 amp and it works. But I've gotten that message before
    04-01-12 06:52 PM
    The 2 Amp (2000mA per port) charger is 3 to 4 times the proper output to properly charge your phone without damaging the battery. The Nokia DC-6 at 1/2 Amp (550mA) is what you need.

If you want a dual USB unit than some of them are 3/4 Amp (750mA) per port and that would be perfect for your phone. The AT&T dual USB charger is 750mA per port. Motorola has one like that too.

Use that charger and you will destroy your battery. Use a power only cable with the green and white wires shorted and you risk damaging the phone. No Bull.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 04-01-12 at 07:17 PM.
    04-01-12 07:08 PM
    Use that charger and you will destroy your battery. Use a power only cable with the green and white wires shorted and you risk damaging the phone. No Bull.
    i don't have my electrical license but thats not true. all you are doing is charging the battery at a faster rate, which would just create it to heat up a bit more then normal charging. Yet no hotter then heavy usage would in reverse order.

charging a phone battery is no different then charging a car battery. 2a 10a or 30a, its all the way just faster charges.

If Rim didn't want you to be able to connect your phone to a 2a charger why would they produce one and sell it as a phone accessory
    jcastilloalonso likes this.
    04-01-12 07:41 PM
    i don't have my electrical license but thats not true. all you are doing is charging the battery at a faster rate, which would just create it to heat up a bit more then normal charging. Yet no hotter then heavy usage would in reverse order.

charging a phone battery is no different then charging a car battery. 2a 10a or 30a, its all the way just faster charges.

If Rim didn't want you to be able to connect your phone to a 2a charger why would they produce one and sell it as a phone accessory

BatteryUniversity.com

Why did RIM include an inferior charger with the phone? Why did RIM include an inferior cable with my Stereo Gateway? Why would RIM care if you have short battery life and your battery needs replacing after 8 months instead of 3 years because you used a PlayBook charger?

You know, if your going to spread bad advice for the sake of arguing than maybe you need to spend more time looking into stuff before you post.

Use whatever charger you want. If you wanna buy a new battery every 6 to 12 months so you can say "I was right" then knock your self out. No one cares.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 04-02-12 at 07:10 AM.
    04-02-12 06:54 AM
    Click to view quoted image

Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Why did RIM include an inferior charger with the phone? Why did RIM include an inferior cable with my Stereo Gateway? Why would RIM care if you have short battery life and your battery needs replacing after 8 months instead of 3 years because you used a PlayBook charger?

You know, if your going to spread bad advice for the sake of arguing than maybe you need to spend more time looking into stuff before you post.

Use whatever charger you want. If you wanna buy a new battery every 6 to 12 months so you can say "I was right" then knock your self out. No one cares.
    Just so you know. a Fast or quick charge for an JM1 would need to be 2.2a or more. a 2a charge doesn't meet the fast charge.

But I wont disagree with what you have said, I am simply saying a 2a charge won't kill the phone or battery, aswel,l not shorten the life of a LI-Ion Battery.

Increasing the charge current does not hasten the full-charge state by much. Although the battery reaches the voltage peak quicker with a fast charge, the saturation charge will take longer accordingly. The amount of charge current applied simply alters the time required for each stage; Stage 1 will be shorter but the saturation Stage 2 will take longer. A high current charge will, however, quickly fill the battery to about 70 percent.
    Last edited by nd1983; 04-02-12 at 10:15 AM.
    04-02-12 10:08 AM
    The faster the charge, the less battery life you get that day. The more often you "Quick Charge" the shorter the lifespan of the battery. The error the OP received was because the 2Amp charger was too much so your statement about 2+Amps being necessary simply isn't true.

Like I said, the chargers I mentioned will do what the OP needs them to do and provide good battery life without harming the battery or the phone. Those are the facts.

The max output on the rapid charger for the PlayBook is 2Amps. For a phone it is much less, like 1Amp max.

Last edited by olblueyez; 04-02-12 at 12:39 PM.
    04-02-12 12:28 PM
    Like I said, the chargers I mentioned will do what the OP needs them to do.
    They will not work plugged into a 12v car outlet Occasionally the BlackBerry branded car charger is on sale at BlackBerry. It is probably the most foolproof method for charging the phones in a car.

I bought one of the Nokia AC-6U chargers after seeing it suggested a few times. It arrived last week. They are a nice compact charger and the price is right.
    04-02-12 12:38 PM
    Nokia DC-6 @ 550mA sits in my car now. It works great. I did say "Nokia DC-6", AT&T dual USB and Motorola dual USB right? All three car chargers.

http://www.google.com/m/products/det...ed=0CBUQ8wIwAQ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005LF...bUvbUpU7285946

Ok, I got it, take some 12 Gauge solid copper wire and solder it to the black and red pins on a micro USB connector, then take the other end and attach the other end to your battery terminals on your car. That should work for you.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 04-03-12 at 04:16 AM.
    04-02-12 12:44 PM
    Inside every blackberry there is a charging circuit that controls how much current the device can draw for charging so even if you have a 2amp source it will only draw what it needs to charge. So modify a USB cable and short out the data lines and charge your devices free from worrying about damaging you device and batteries.
    04-07-12 07:52 AM
    Inside every blackberry there is a charging circuit that controls how much current the device can draw for charging so even if you have a 2amp source it will only draw what it needs to charge. So modify a USB cable and short out the data lines and charge your devices free from worrying about damaging you device and batteries.

Limitation doesn't equal control. Some charge quicker and produce more heat. Heat destroys your battery. Slower charging gives you better daily battery life and a longer lived battery.

Your argument would only be valid if all chargers produced the same results.

They dont.
    04-07-12 08:59 AM
    I'm not talking about chargers here I'm talking about the PMIC (power management IC) inside the blackberry. It regulates the incoming current. If it wasn't there the device would overcharge and there would be issues. If you know how to get to the engineering screens on your device connect it to a wall charger make note of the current draw and then connect it to a 2A USB charger with a USB charging cable (data lines shorted) and compare the numbers. They will be virtually identical.

By the way. Keep the rolling eyes to yourself and stick to facts and specs.
    Last edited by cranky_berry; 04-07-12 at 09:38 AM.
    04-07-12 09:12 AM
    Here is a collection of screen-shots taken from my 9900. I have connected to several charging sources. You will notice that the maximum input increases the charge rate never goes over the maximum charge rate set by the device.
    These devices have a set charging rate with a specific charging curve designer to provide minimum charge time and maximum battery life
    Shot number 5 is using a USB charging cable (pins 2-3 shorted)
    04-07-12 11:47 AM
    So the charge speed IS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME. If there were one optimal charge speed than why not have the phone limit the speed to one speed only?

Because having the ability to charge faster or slower allows the user a choice of trade offs. Faster (less battery life and quicker deterioration of the battery) OR Slower (More battery life and slower deterioration of the battery).
    Last edited by olblueyez; 04-07-12 at 12:06 PM.
    04-07-12 12:01 PM
    Did you even look at the screen shots?

The maximum rate set by the device always stays the same. The charging rate from an APPROVED BlackBerry AC charger and all the other is the same. The only time its lower is when the device is connected to a PC which can only supply 500mA.

So are you saying you should only charge from a computer? If not what's the difference between charging from an AC BB charger or an in car USB charger?
    04-07-12 12:23 PM
    I recommend that you go with what works and try not to argue. Everyone has their own ways of doings things and it makes no difference arguing, only gets off topic (as it has done here). You probably won't change what others will do and just look a little childish. But hey, what do I know?
    04-07-12 12:34 PM
    Yup your right. I have better things to do.
    Happy Easter
    04-07-12 12:44 PM
    Even if you have a 2.1A or 2100mA charger, it will not charge twice as fast as a 1A or 1000mA charger.

Depending on your battery capacity, the charger will NOT charge more than the battery rating (say 1200mAh). If you plug a 2100mA charger, your battery will charge at 1200mAh MAX!

So in short, handphone manufacturers are smart enough

- Charles
    04-07-12 12:46 PM
    @cranky_berry

I was wondering when someone would say what you said in this thread. Because that is the info that is found in each and every thread of this kind, on every platform. The mobile device has a built in circuit, that sets the max charge level. You can supply double that mAh and still the device won't charge faster, or melt

If the manufacturer have a heat problem, they can set the level lower. The Samsung Galaxy S2 is limited to 650mAh, if memory serves me correct. This means a very long charging time, but at least the device won't fry. Samsung even chose to provide a 700mAh charger, while almost every other manufacturer hits the full 1 amp at least these days.

The 500mAh car chargers are usually not enough to supply as much power, as a mobile uses when running a GPS application. This means that even if the charger is plugged in, you battery will still drain while navigating. I have experienced this on many different devices, including HTC, Samsung, LG and iPhone. The problem associated with this behavior is quite obvious. So always go for a full 1 amp charger, at least.

To conclude, cranky_berry is 100% spot on, to the best of my knowledge.
    04-07-12 01:30 PM
    The use of some sort of power management is common across all device manufacturers . If you didn't control the current draw it could cause major damage to the device. People would be destroying the devices and then try to get them replaced under warranty.
    Last edited by cranky_berry; 04-07-12 at 03:24 PM.
    04-07-12 03:15 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD