hey i need to travel to italy and dont want to spent money for mobile data. does anyone know offline navigation (best if for free) for my bb 9900? thanks. i have spent a lot of time searching & trying but found nothing satisfactory - wisepilot (great but needs inet connection), mgmaps, inflight and so on.
    12-09-12 01:39 PM
    Wisepilot has a feature called "Offline Maps", I bought it and downloaded a map for Germany. However it still loads slow maps online.

I fear there is no such application for the 9900. I switched over from Nokia so I really miss the awesome Nokia Maps and looked quite some time for a replacement on my Bold. There is none, I fear
    12-09-12 02:26 PM
    Yeah, but even if you use offline maps in wisepilot there is a short internet connection when the destination search is beeing made. after that it uses offline maps from the card. with absolute no access to internet you would not be able to search any destination...see "do i need an internet connection" - https://www.wisepilot.com/nav11/site...jsp?action=74#
    12-10-12 01:01 PM
    Hmmm.
    Even if you have offline maps loaded to your sd card, don't you still have to use data for your GPS location on that map to direct you?
    If not, how would that work without placing you on a map in the correct location? Or, let you know when you're close?

TIA
    12-10-12 01:13 PM
    GPS itself doesn't eat any data. All rather cheap GPS stand-alone devices also don't have any data connections and you still get to know your position. Those traditional 2G or 3G data is used to aid GPS to get a more accurate/faster fix of your current location. But it is not needed. With Nokia Maps for example, you can have WiFi completely disabled and not even a SIM card in your phone: It would still work, as long as you have the data preloaded on your device.

I tried Wisepilot, as I said, it still loaded maps really, really slow (though I preloaded a map for my country and activated it). Wisepilots problem is also the required data connection for virtually everything. You can't even search for an adress without it. With Nokia Maps, that was possible. For a while I even used my old Nokia E7 as a standalone navigation device without any data connections because it simply worked so well.

Mapping and navigation is something that, at least IMO, really sucks on the 9900 compared with some other devices.
    12-10-12 03:07 PM
    Hmmm.
    Even if you have offline maps loaded to your sd card, don't you still have to use data for your GPS location on that map to direct you?
    If not, how would that work without placing you on a map in the correct location? Or, let you know when you're close?

TIA
    before i switch to blackberry, i had an iphone and was using tomtom greece. it had all detailed streets and every single path. it was perfect and 100% offline(i never had data plan on any of my phone) and 3d navigation...so there is a way to direct you....rim doesnt care anymore
    12-10-12 03:34 PM
    We went to Europe last year. I bought 50MB of roaming data. That was suffucuent for 2 weeks worth of maps, apps, eMails and even a little bit if internet surfing. It seems like map data does "eat" up that much data. Of course the surfing capability came handy too on many occasions. So I would recommend to get roaming data. I think we paid $25 or so. I don't remember exactly, just remember it was not much.
    12-11-12 10:49 AM
    BB Maps uses very little data and it caches all the maps viewed for off line use(it will show your location and the streets with no connection to internet)

Once BB Maps loads directions it will continue to destination without any data use unless you make a wrong turn.

I'd say just buy a roaming package and use BB Maps.
    12-11-12 11:33 AM
    before i switch to blackberry, i had an iphone and was using tomtom greece. it had all detailed streets and every single path. it was perfect and 100% offline(i never had data plan on any of my phone) and 3d navigation...so there is a way to direct you....rim doesnt care anymore
    Ys but you did pay a handsome price upright for it, it's not like it's free.
    12-11-12 11:36 AM
    Ys but you did pay a handsome price upright for it, it's not like it's free.
    on blackberry there is not such thing even if u pay. rim sucks. i just like the qwerty keyboard
    12-12-12 02:02 PM
    Because there is nothing like real offline navigation for BB 9900, the solution for me is to have second device (GPS, Android phone) for navigation. I am also starting to think that maybe small data tarif (50MB as WES51 wrote) togehter with wisepilot can be second (bit worse) option...
    12-13-12 03:32 AM