I don't mean to sound rude or negative to all our wonderful developers, but does anyone else think that Bold 9900/9930 OS 7 themes should be free? Like what Lucky45 & drkapprentice did on their recent themes?

The reason why I say this is because there's a lot of bugs on certain themes and the fact that there is no TB7.

That's my thinking--how we shouldn't pay for a theme filled with bugs.

If I'm wrong, feel free to enlighten me

Sent from ERain's CrackBerry 9930
    05-26-12 04:46 AM
    The blame is on RIM for no TB7 and all the credit to those who even put the effort in to make themes for OS7. For those that put the time and effort in to make themes despite any help from RIM deserve to be rewarded for that if they so chose. You have the right to not pay for a theme as well.
    Mr.Monty, jaydee5799 and Mojave like this.
    05-26-12 06:36 AM
    I think the theme developers are doing a decent job with what they have to work with (NO OS7 theme builder). Nobody's twisting my arm to purchase these different themes. Most devs will work with you and "fix" problems and in some cases even return the funds. Nope.....I don't agree with the OP.......the choice is mine to purchase or not to purchase
    jaydee5799 and veritas_vincit like this.
    05-26-12 06:55 AM
    True, it is up to me to whether or not to purchase the themes. Why is it that RIM didnt release the TB7 I wonder.

For me, it's just a matter of preference how I want to purchase a theme that works without the kinks. Fortunately we have some devs that would work to fix those out.

Thanks for all your inputs!

05-26-12 04:43 PM
    I give props to the devs who are willing to try to work out creating a theme given the lack of a theme builder. I have no problem paying them for their time and effort. My bb would be so dreary if I only had the stock theme on it (not my taste ). As you say, it is my choice (as well as yours) whether you decide to pay for them.
    veritas_vincit likes this.
    05-26-12 07:49 PM
    Yes, I personally think that a premium price should be paid for SOME themes

But I could be a tad biased lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-26-12 08:39 PM
    I give props to the devs who are willing to try to work out creating a theme given the lack of a theme builder. I have no problem paying them for their time and effort. My bb would be so dreary if I only had the stock theme on it (not my taste ). As you say, it is my choice (as well as yours) whether you decide to pay for them.

oh yea don't get me wrong, I do pay for my 9930 themes, and major props to the devs. I myself did try to make a theme on my own and I must say, it is really difficult.

So yea, I give major props to them.

I just wanted to see what your ideas are and wanted to have a regular constructive conversations on this topic.

As a matter of fact, we need more themes from these devs

05-26-12 08:40 PM
    oh yea don't get me wrong, I do pay for my 9930 themes, and major props to the devs. I myself did try to make a theme on my own and I must say, it is really difficult.

So yea, I give major props to them.

I just wanted to see what your ideas are and wanted to have a regular constructive conversations on this topic.

As a matter of fact, we need more themes from these devs

Maybe more developers would be willing to try to create custom themes IF people didn't go around crying "foul" every time the lack of TB7 reared its ugly head. They can't control some of the problems and we should all be willing to let them try, and reward them for making our phones more enjoyable.

I personally do not enjoy the default themes....of the 350 themes I had for my 9650, NONE were default. I used onnly custom ones. Now, with no TB7, I am going to have to use custom themes with several glitches OR the default themes that have been enhanced by the creative developers.

Either way, any work that a developer puts into creating a theme DESERVES payment, IMHO.
    Mojave likes this.
    05-26-12 08:55 PM
    Making themes with TB6 for my 9650 was a lot easier than it is now. I have put out a couple of themes for no charge because I felt that they were not up to the same quality as the "theme masters". I have the utmost respect for the masters, and have bought a couple of their themes. They deserve to get paid for all the time they put in. If it was as easy as it used to be we would have many free 99xx themes to choose from.
    05-26-12 09:43 PM
    Hmm, all very good points. And yes, all the devs need their recognition and reward for putting all hard work. I'm not saying they shouldn't.

Here's one more point I'd like to hear from you.

I've seen some themes out there that just looks like I shouldn't need to pay for them. Has anyone seen these themes and feel the same way?

05-27-12 02:24 AM
    Hmm, all very good points. And yes, all the devs need their recognition and reward for putting all hard work. I'm not saying they shouldn't.

I've seen some themes out there that just looks like I shouldn't need to pay for them. Has anyone seen these themes and feel the same way?

You pay for what you think is worthwhile or quality. Simple as that. Don't like that someone is charging? Don't buy. Why does this need to be a debate? You wouldn't go into a store and pay for something you don't think is worth it.

It is up to the SELLER to decide to charge or not. After all, they are the ones putting the time into making the themes.
    mcetlinski likes this.
    05-27-12 06:52 AM

I understand what you are saying, I don't necessarily agree with it, there are also themes that.....IMO, are FREE, but could have easily been in the "premium" category....the bottom line....nobody forces an individual to purchase a theme, and if your disappointed in the quality of themes, try making your own theme and see how much work it takes.
    05-27-12 07:02 AM
    Even the most simple looking theme on OS7 requires a LOT of work.

You can't just plop a bunch of stuff into theme builder and BLAMMO, you got yourself a theme...

You have to resize and name every icon...

You have to place every meter and status text by hand...

So, in my opinion, the developer can charge whatever they feel their time invested was worth. You, as the consumer, have the choice to purchase it or not.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-27-12 10:02 AM
    Alright, I really appreciate your inputs and I just wanted to see what everyone else thought as well.

I know exactly how hard it was to put a theme together. I tried as well.

Like I said, this wasn't a debate or an argument. I just wanted to know what everyone else thought on it that's all.

Meant no offense.

05-27-12 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD