Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default No bbm contact back up option?

I am trying to switch blackberry's, moving from a 9790 to a 9900 as am bored of it now.

My problem is, my 9790 doesn't have a option to back up bbm contacts? Why is that?

Ive looked in the options, and there is nothing at all. These are the only options on the 9790,

List View
    Chat View
    BBM Connected Applications
    Recent Updates
    Invitation to BBM
    Miscellaneous
    That all...

However on my all other blackberry's there was an option of "Back-Up Management"

I have re-installed my blackberry software and updated it once aswell, but i never ever got this option?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,905 Global Posts

If you have the newest BBM version 7, then the contacts are connected to your BlackBerry ID and therefore there is no longer a back-up option as it is automatic. When you install BBM 7 on your 9900 and log in with your BlackBerry ID, it will restore your contacts automatically.

"BBM 7: BlackBerry ID Integration – Simplifies OS and device upgrades. Device switches are as simple as entering your BlackBerry ID when you first open BBM, and your BBM profile, contacts, and groups are instantly available on your new device."
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

It isn't the newest os7 on my 9790.

The other 9900 has the latest os7.1 and that has the option of backing up?

I tried the email method but it says the email account is not linked to your bbm ...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

could someone with a 9790 check and let me know if you also have this? - Missing management option?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

101 views and no one could bother checking I am desperate here. Been sat here for nearly 6 hours trying to sort this out
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Krack-Berri View Post
    101 views and no one could bother checking I am desperate here. Been sat here for nearly 6 hours trying to sort this out
    He meant BBM7. Not an OS7 or OS7.1. According to him BBM7 doesnt support back up manually. Because it has automatically back up function using Blackberry ID.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

With BBM 7, it remotely saves all you contacts and settings via BBID, when you do a device swap BBID will ask you if you want to associate with the new Phone. I found that most OS come with BBM 6 you'll need to upgrade it to BBM 7.

Long story short, with BBM 7 contacts are now saved with your Blackberry ID.
    CrackBerry Newbie

that's right, I've ever had the problem. my BB id was taken by a friend of mine. effectively, all of my BBM contacts were stored on his phone, even my name was displayed on his BBM,.