Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 'Insert SIM Card' After water Damage

Hey All,

So i dropped my 9790 in h water, left it in rice and now it fires up. Everything works except it wont read SIM cards at all... At first i got 'SIM Initialization" but now nothing. Any ideas?

Can I diagnose if it needs a new sim tray or not?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clljodoin View Post
    Can I diagnose if it needs a new sim tray or not?
    Are you using a micro SIM like the one used for an iPhone? (I do).
    If everything else works fine, it sounds like the SIM card contacts are still somewhat wet. Remove the SIM, dry both sides of the contact and rub eraser on the SIM card, and see what happens.

I'm sure you know that you should be careful not to damage the pin contacts on the phone. I usually do not completely pull the tray out, the SIM card only. If you removed the tray completely, make sure you insert it WITH the tray. I'm sure you know it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

i actually got a new SIM and tried that, still no luck. I have nit removed the tray at all just the sim.

Any way to check the contacts on the sim tray to see if they areworking? how hard is it to replacew the tray?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clljodoin View Post
    i actually got a new SIM and tried that, still no luck. I have nit removed the tray at all just the sim.

Any way to check the contacts on the sim tray to see if they areworking? how hard is it to replacew the tray?
    Oh, I realized you meant the SIM card holder when you said "tray".
    Removing the tray might require a pro job, but considering you were successful in the "rice" job in drying the rest of the device, you might have to wait a little longer for the SIM card holder area to dry up. Water very likely stayed in the gap between the card and the holder and might even seeped into the body via penetrations.

You might even need a bit of "forcible" drying of the area such as mild use of hair dryer etc patiently. Beyond that, I am not an expert and should shut myself up :-).
    But I do share your grief. 9790 is an excellent device.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

One thing you might want to try before going further would be to pass a very fine emery cloth a couple of times through the holder, just enough to remove dirt on contact points. SIM card contacts are very finicky, so clean contacts will at least eliminate one potential area of problem.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Can y take the metal guide out so u can get better access to the contacts?

Also, can you replace the reader entirely? Or is it soldered in?