Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iawra
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Crack in the lock button

It always seemed to me like the lock button at the top was a weak point with the stress in the plastic and mine has developed a small crack. It's only around 3 months old and I have a feeling it could get bigger. It's one piece with the screen so it's really not ideal.

CrackBerry Newbie

Same problem happened with mine due to the stiff lock button. I sent it to the service centre and they replaced the whole front panel, no questions asked. The new lock button is also a lot easier to press.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

It's happened to me too. And just 3 weeks old. Damn
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,241 Global Posts
    PIN
    K. 27F3DC2E put cb in request

Like you will need to replace it. Bring it back for warranty or if you are keen enough, you can try to fix it yourself.
    gee gee baby~
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by byul View Post
    Like you will need to replace it. Bring it back for warranty or if you are keen enough, you can try to fix it yourself.
    Fix myself? Erm, how?
    And in India, we need to purchase it outright, no contracts. Do you think the warranty will be applicable on this damage? Will they charge?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

i was going to ask how you personally fix a crack in the phone housing as well.

if it cracks under normal usage and its under warranty it should be free, thats the purpose of the warranty itself.

Sent via BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Okay, will contact them and ask. Let's hope for the best, coz apart from this, the device is awesome
    CrackBerry User

I think it’s time to fire some designers…
    emmalouise1293 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B5F527B

this is happening to mine and ive not dropped it once or anything, there is no scratch scuff or anything on my fone, i live in the uk and bought the phone outright, shall i take it back to the shop who will get in contact with blackberry or shall i try contacting them myself?
    BlackBerry 8520 > 9300 > 9790 > iPhone 4s > iPhone 5 > Z30 + Playbook 64GB

follow me on twitter! @musty_f10
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by mu57afa View Post
    this is happening to mine and ive not dropped it once or anything, there is no scratch scuff or anything on my fone, i live in the uk and bought the phone outright, shall i take it back to the shop who will get in contact with blackberry or shall i try contacting them myself?
    Back to the shop where you bought it
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

I bought mine from Amazon UK. How long do you think it would take to send it back to Amazon, them to send it to RIM then fixed and back to me? I don't think I can survive that long without my crackberry!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orangeyred View Post
    I bought mine from Amazon UK. How long do you think it would take to send it back to Amazon, them to send it to RIM then fixed and back to me? I don't think I can survive that long without my crackberry!
    Exactly! Can't live that long without my bb, so I'm just letting it be, and using the convenience key for password lock now. A perfect substitute and no further damage.
    CrackBerry User

i totally agree with the point tht lock button is too stiff. sometime i couldnt even lock the phone w one hand. hate the design.

use camera key as a substitute is a great idea. lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    -

it also happen to me
    CrackBerry User

Default Crack in the lock button

Use the Otter Box for 9790, it helps for the lock button

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Newbie

I had my lock button go on mine within a week and I wasn't rough with the phone at all. I called Rogers and they shipped me out a replacement device. I'm enjoying the new one and the button seems a lot better. I'm hoping that they don't try to charge me for physical damage but the crack was right along the border of button/plastic just like the OP's picture. They probably know they screwed up in the design and that's why they sent me the replacement without questioning anything haha
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Default Re: Crack in the lock button

Further on from this, after a while the crack became so bad that the button actually stopped working. I bought the phone sim free so I complained to Amazon UK and they sent me a replacement first class. I had one of the first 9790s and got it a few days after release. The new one I have just received feels a lot more solid, the lock button travel has been reduced so I'm hoping this means less stress on the plastic. The tilted, loose trackpad is now tight and not tilted. I think RIM has sorted their QC issues.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B5F527B

ssent mine off to rim via o2 for this problem, and it kept on rebooting and having battery problems so i hope to get a new one too, hoping the build quality on this one will be better! *fingers crossed*
    BlackBerry 8520 > 9300 > 9790 > iPhone 4s > iPhone 5 > Z30 + Playbook 64GB

follow me on twitter! @musty_f10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,655 Global Posts

I don't actually use that button often; I have a magnetic pocket.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    CrackBerry User

I did that to mine, after a few weeks, it stopped working completely and i had to send it off to be repaired they just replaced my phone...