Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Bold 9790. SOS / Searching for network

Hey guys. I have Bold 9790. And this is my story. I bought this phone from WIND Mobile in Canada and since day 1 i've been getting SOS mode when i'm at home. I was convinced it was just WIND's service. My brother who has WIND as well, has no complaints using a Huawei phone. I tried talking to WIND but got nowhere, obviously. So, still convinced it was WIND and not getting any help from them, i got my phone unlocked and went to Fido. Now i have gotten a Fido SIM card, and i'm back to square one. Always SOS or Searching for network. But just as well as when i was with WIND there are certain spots of my room (orienting the phone in a certain way, whether leaning up or resting against something) that i can get signal. But this is useless to me since whenever i leave my room, i'm stuck with SOS.

PLEASE, please please please somebody help me. I have had to pay off WIND for the phone- a sum of $350. That is A LOT of money considering i'm a student with NO income. I don't want to believe that i've wasted that money for a dumb little brick.

Also, i'm CERTAIN its not the SIM card as it works perfectly fine in my Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro. But i dont want to go back to using the Vivaz Pro, I wanna use my blackberry as it clearly has many advantages over the SE. Please help me, somebody, i'm frustrated and going crazy.

I was thinking- would my phone get screwed up if i used RIM's software for Fido 9790s?
    The Fido 9790s have OS7.1 whereas the WIND phones have OS7.0

thanks for listening to my problems..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Default Re: Bold 9790. SOS / Searching for network

I think it would be oki doki to get that 7.1 OS. Install it and see. It will not mess up your phone. In fact, I would look for the latest version OS for the 9790 which is 7.1.0.714 here on this site. You can always downgrade back to the original 7.0 . I bought a Wind BB9790 for use with Tmobile here in the USA. It came with 7.0. I upgraded to 7.1.0.714 and it works like a charm. These newer OS's work better than the older ones for signal locking as the radio files seem to be much better.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Fido use 850/1900 MHZ for 3G ... Wind use 1700 MHZ for 3G ... the phone is not compatible with fido sorry ! There two model of 9790 !
    Just bad !
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

cedqc418 is correct however if you still want to use it with Fido you can but only Edge/2G
    Anyway Wind is one of the cheapest carriers however their coverage is not the greatest.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Is there any way to fix the SOS issue? I'm on WIND and at home in range (my wife's android has service) but suddenly I'm in SOS.
    Running .746.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Bold 9790. SOS / Searching for network

Hmm, working now. I guess WIND was doing work on my account.

[Sent from my BlackBerry 9790]
    Bold 9900 (BL Ultimate Hybrid RC19 on Bell Mobility .1047)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bushmonkey22 View Post
    Hey guys. I have Bold 9790. And this is my story. I bought this phone from WIND Mobile in Canada and since day 1 i've been getting SOS mode when i'm at home. I was convinced it was just WIND's service. My brother who has WIND as well, has no complaints using a Huawei phone. I tried talking to WIND but got nowhere, obviously. So, still convinced it was WIND and not getting any help from them, i got my phone unlocked and went to Fido. Now i have gotten a Fido SIM card, and i'm back to square one. Always SOS or Searching for network. But just as well as when i was with WIND there are certain spots of my room (orienting the phone in a certain way, whether leaning up or resting against something) that i can get signal. But this is useless to me since whenever i leave my room, i'm stuck with SOS.

PLEASE, please please please somebody help me. I have had to pay off WIND for the phone- a sum of $350. That is A LOT of money considering i'm a student with NO income. I don't want to believe that i've wasted that money for a dumb little brick.

Also, i'm CERTAIN its not the SIM card as it works perfectly fine in my Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro. But i dont want to go back to using the Vivaz Pro, I wanna use my blackberry as it clearly has many advantages over the SE. Please help me, somebody, i'm frustrated and going crazy.

I was thinking- would my phone get screwed up if i used RIM's software for Fido 9790s?
    The Fido 9790s have OS7.1 whereas the WIND phones have OS7.0

thanks for listening to my problems..