Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default bold 9790 overheating

My 9790 is heating up very quickly plz help. My os version is bundle 7.0 2083. Also my battery life drains quickly. Will updating to a newer version of os solves this problem?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

it should, try it
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    *pending*

Blackberry made a flop with all OS7 devices!!! They all overheats and I've loaded countless upgrades (OS) and nothing helps! I think only the 9900/9930 doesn't overheat, yet it too drains battery like .
    CrackBerry Abuser

Update the os!
    @mzway, software is never perfect and always in motion.
    Os7 is smooth and never experienced overheating, maybe get it out of the sun?
    Battery life too is still 1,5 - 2 days so still acceptable
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by BestWildcard View Post
    Update the os!
    @mzway, software is never perfect and always in motion.
    Os7 is smooth and never experienced overheating, maybe get it out of the sun?
    Battery life too is still 1,5 - 2 days so still acceptable
    I found out that switching to 2G network solves the battery draining problem... Now getting 10-14 hours! Can't find a solution for over heating though.
    CrackBerry User

Thumbs up battery

i am sure the official update 7.1 will solve battery problem, anybody no when it will release?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Even the Leaked OS solves it. It's already released. Why wait for official.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Silver826 View Post
    Even the Leaked OS solves it. It's already released. Why wait for official.
    i update it with leaked OS 7.1.0.247. but nothing change i charge it 3 times daily?
    CrackBerry Newbie

try removing the micro sd card.....it solve it for me and use the latest 7,1 avaivable
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dubai009 View Post
    i update it with leaked OS 7.1.0.247. but nothing change i charge it 3 times daily?
    It's your usage not phone. Check your settings, use display at lower brightness, remove unwanted apps. Switch of features like wifi, bluetooth, etc. Use 2g when possible instead of 3g.
    Thanked by:
    Afro_Knight (04-25-2012) 
    blakobecwa likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Silver826 View Post
    It's your usage not phone. Check your settings, use display at lower brightness, remove unwanted apps. Switch of features like wifi, bluetooth, etc. Use 2g when possible instead of 3g.
    Exactly, do these steps and you should gain substantial battery life. Also don't set applications to automatically refresh, there's no need for it and it wastes battery life, just manually refresh. Lastly, run as little apps as possible in the background. Open when necessary then just close. Not only does this save battery life but it also prevents
    unnecessary processor usage and avoids overheating.

SIDE NOTE: After you do a reboot or battery pull, once the Bold 9790 Boots up it starts indexing all the "Universal Search" results automatically, so when you type anything it can find your results fast. During this process of indexing not only will it heat the phone up but will also take a little bit of a chunk of battery life (i guess depends on how much u got on ur phone/memcard) However it doesn't take too long to index, but i would recommend having a charger connected for a reboot and keep connected for sometime after it boots up. The phone should cool down and stay cool after as well.
    Thanked by:
    Afro_Knight (04-25-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by blakobecwa View Post
    Exactly, do these steps and you should gain substantial battery life. Also don't set applications to automatically refresh, there's no need for it and it wastes battery life, just manually refresh. Lastly, run as little apps as possible in the background. Open when necessary then just close. Not only does this save battery life but it also prevents
    unnecessary processor usage and avoids overheating.

SIDE NOTE: After you do a reboot or battery pull, once the Bold 9790 Boots up it starts indexing all the "Universal Search" results automatically, so when you type anything it can find your results fast. During this process of indexing not only will it heat the phone up but will also take a little bit of a chunk of battery life (i guess depends on how much u got on ur phone/memcard) However it doesn't take too long to index, but i would recommend having a charger connected for a reboot and keep connected for sometime after it boots up. The phone should cool down and stay cool after as well.
    can i ask how long the battery stay with u after this steps?
    do u suggest to format my bb then custom restore for important things only. then make your step?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    773 Global Posts

never heard of a bb over heating before lol cool
    CrackBerry Abuser

The heating issue is usually caused because of faster processors and very slim designed phones now days. My buddy has an iphone4S and i know when he starts playing games and stuff it gets pretty warm. I have an iPod touch 4 and it also gets pretty warm near the top portion.

Quote Originally Posted by dubai009 View Post
    can i ask how long the battery stay with u after this steps?
    do u suggest to format my bb then custom restore for important things only. then make your step?
    Well i don't get phenomenal battery life, probably because i use my phone a lottt, but with these tweaks and settings with moderate usage you could get 12 - 14 hours easily (i have before). It all depends on how much you use your phone. if you have OS 7.1 then make sure "battery saver" is Always On.

Basically what you should do is backup your phone, then do a fresh install of OS 7.1 with AppLoader (it should backup and restore your data anyways), uninstall programs u really dont use. Then take it from there, its not as big a hassle as it may seem. I've had OS 7.1 installed for a while now and it runs prefect with great battery life.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by blakobecwa View Post
    The heating issue is usually caused because of faster processors and very slim designed phones now days. My buddy has an iphone4S and i know when he starts playing games and stuff it gets pretty warm. I have an iPod touch 4 and it also gets pretty warm near the top portion.

Well i don't get phenomenal battery life, probably because i use my phone a lottt, but with these tweaks and settings with moderate usage you could get 12 - 14 hours easily (i have before). It all depends on how much you use your phone. if you have OS 7.1 then make sure "battery saver" is Always On.

Basically what you should do is backup your phone, then do a fresh install of OS 7.1 with AppLoader (it should backup and restore your data anyways), uninstall programs u really dont use. Then take it from there, its not as big a hassle as it may seem. I've had OS 7.1 installed for a while now and it runs prefect with great battery life.
    thank u. i will try yours tweaks, and update u about my battery life after 2 days
    CrackBerry Abuser

Seems I might be a victim of this problem as well, phone running warm to the touch today (usually quite cold), and the last quarter of charge went very quickly. After fully charging around an hour ago the battery level is already down below 50% & that's without even using the phone.

Should add that my usage hasn't changed at all so there shouldn't be any reason for this sudden battery usage.

Edit: After a full charge it's fully discharged itself in a couple of hours with minimal usage. Strange that it should suddenly start doing this.
    Last edited by Cloudmaster; 04-02-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Update
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default No luck updating BB 9790 to 7.1...need help!

Im a new member, can anyone help me get the 7.1 to instaledl on my 9790? I got mine from Hong Kong with 7.0 OS. I downloaded the Telenor Norway but my 9790 when I plugged it in the computer it wont detect the 7.1, it keeps saying no update available. I first downloaded the latest desktop software before downloading the OS7.1 but no luck.....I not a tech person so I must be doing it wrong. Any imput wll be highly appreciated!
    Last edited by neppoy; 04-15-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: update
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by neppoy View Post
    Im a new member, can anyone help me get the 7.1 to instaledl on my 9790? I got mine from Hong Kong with 7.0 OS. I downloaded the Telenor Norway but my 9790 when I plugged it in the computer it wont detect the 7.1, it keeps saying no update available. I first downloaded the latest desktop software before downloading the OS7.1 but no luck.....I not a tech person so I must be doing it wrong. Any imput wll be highly appreciated!

there are plenty of threads that describe this issue & the solution, the thread on this handset forum about the OS7.1 Telenor Norway also has the solution. Please delete the 2 vendor.xml files from your computer to begin with.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    819 Global Posts

I think OP was reporting some sudden heating up problem, which he did not experience before. I never experienced it but I did sense some warming up when rebooting etc.
    I do not think the battery is a cause but rather a consequence (of busy CPU).
    When the CPU at overwork, both CPU and battery heat up rather quickly and drain the battery real quick.
    Sounds like some app might be lurking or hanging behind the scene.
    I thought the battery pull would cure this, but check which apps are running. Are you using some exotic apps?
    Press the menu button (left to the trackpad) for a second or two to see what's running.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

I can confirm the 9790 does overheats from time to time, some people may not experience such issue not because of they have better devices but because they use different apps.

Mostly overheat occurs when you have one or more of those newer game applications run in the background.

Whenever you feel you phone is getting warm, check what is running in the background [hold the blackberry button for about 5 sec], and switch to the application and close them properly.

Also close GOOGLE Maps if you see it runs in the background, it eats a lot of battery too.
    CrackBerry Abuser

My experience with overheating:

It happened to me twice since I had the phone (nearly two months ago). The device, specially the battery starts to overheat more and more, and then the battery starts to drain very very fast.

My first time I shut down the device and take the battery off for a while (it was REALLY HOT ) and then put it again and seems that everything was OK.

Next day, I wake up and unplug my bold from charger at 8 AM, went to office and when I realized (cause I didn't use the phone that morning) at 11 AM had just 5% of battery...

Never happened to me again and I haven't done anything specially for not having the issue again. For me, is a strange mystery...

I will report more info if it will happens to me again. Hopefully I'm very happy with the device and with the 7.1 official release and with no background actualization for FB nor Twitter it last me more than it use to be.

Cheers!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    ASK ME

That crazy, I just got this phone today after upgrading from a Curve 3G, at it heated up like a volcano. Though I wasn't using at special applications, plus I had my settings altered like I normally do.

It's odd, I will try some of the steps that have been mentioned here and see what happens.

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Try the last leaked OS (7.1.0.402), after some battery pulls it works really good!

Yesterday my battery lasts from 8AM till 10PM which was imposible with the 7.0 OS.

Now, it just overheats when I use WiFi Hotspot for a long time (like one hour or more).
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Overheating!!!

My9790 could be used to fry an egg only had it about 2 months, the first went back for the same reason. It only seems to happen when I try to put a memory card in. Bit useless really
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by carl_es View Post
    try removing the micro sd card.....it solve it for me and use the latest 7,1 avaivable
    This also worked for me. It turned out that there was something wrong with my media card that the system had to work double. Hence, maximizing the device itself resulting to it overheating.
    Last edited by aumarivero; 03-03-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast