Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9790 pile of garbage!!

We now have 200 9790's at work, they are the worst phone yet.
    Signal constantly drops battery life is pathetic.
    We now refer to them as pagers cos you get one ring then a missed call alert.

Anyone managed to return 200 phones to Orange?
    CrackBerry Addict

Are you sure its not poor network coverage? that would reduce your battery life and explain your dropped calls.

Since upgrading to the 9790 from my 9700 I've noticed an increase in signal quality and have yet to drop a call.

P.S. it would make more sense for to take it up with orange first before posting on here.. we can't really solve your problem.
    andy957, maxx71 and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,077 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spike12 View Post
    Are you sure its not poor network coverage? that would reduce your battery life and explain your dropped calls.

Since upgrading to the 9790 from my 9700 I've noticed an increase in signal quality and have yet to drop a call.

P.S. it would make more sense for to take it up with orange first before posting on here.. we can't really solve your problem.
    Totally agree with spike12,
    just to add, would also depend on which OS it is running.
    Posted via CB10

BB Q10 SQN100-3 powered by 10.2.1.1925
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Default It's the Phone!

The only thing that has changed is the phone,it simply doesn't work.
    As for Orange,why would I waste my time chatting to someone reading a script knowing full well there is no fix.
    It's on the latest software all of the others are the same,we now have an offfice full of people going around swearing at their phones as they are cut off for the umpteenth time!!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,077 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jazzert100 View Post
    As for Orange,why would I waste my time chatting to someone reading a script knowing full well there is no fix.
    It's on the latest software all of the others are the same,we now have an offfice full of people going around swearing at their phones as they are cut off for the umpteenth time!!
    There are many things that go to enhance battery of the phone.
    I will try and explain what i had done to make it an awesome device :
    Set the brightness to 10% and backlight to 20secs.
    Used 2G when not browsing.
    Enabled battery saver to Always on.

Then i did the Unimaginable, i loaded an Hybrid OS ( best of many OS combined by a genius) and the results were mind boggling and Awesome to say the least. Try the thread below my signature and you will know for yourself how many people found peace with thier battery life. Give it a shot !
    Posted via CB10

BB Q10 SQN100-3 powered by 10.2.1.1925
    CrackBerry Addict

I'm sure if you have 200 phones you can ask to speak to someone higher up who's willing to help you, maybe corporate plans or something to that effect. Who in your organization ordered the phones? I'm sure they have a contact to speak to from which they bought the phones, they should be able to get service from there. I still find it strange that you take the time to post your problem on here instead of actually doing something about it with the people that sold you the phone.

You say you're on the latest software, can you quote the version please? Which phones did you have prior to changing?
    Last edited by spike12; 08-29-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    andy957 and bungaboy like this.

Global Posts
    35,392 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

why would I waste my time chatting to someone reading a script knowing full well there is no fix.
    And yet, you post this thread on a help forum, instead of asking for assistance. The phones are quality communication devices, so you either have horrible service, the worst OS imaginable installed, an app corporate-wide installed that doesn't agree with the phones, an entire office who hate BlackBerries in general, or came here simply to annoy us.

Want help? We're here for you.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° `°•.¸¸.•° Born to ™ °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    Thanked by 4:
    bungaboy (08-30-2012),  D_March (08-30-2012),  Mission RIMpossible (08-30-2012),  spike12 (08-29-2012) 

The OP's report doesn't align with most comments from other CB members about the 9790. However it does align with my personal and business experience of Orange/UK.

My first response to the problem is to suggest checking cellular signal levels, both at standby and while on a call. Poor-marginal coverage or a fault at the local cell transmitter can cause the problem he describes.

The reports indicates the users are all experiencing problems in the same office. That could suggest a problem with radio signals reaching the phones - either interference, signal blocked, a failed cell, or even simply 200 phones all overloading the available connections beyond the capacity of the cell providing support. Try taking one of the known problem phones to a different area (beyond the coverage of the local cell) and see if the problem continues.

If the cellular signal is low the phone will use more power (reduced battery life) to stay in contact with the system and during a call, and call drop is more likely on a weak signal. Watch the signal indicator on one of the phones during a call, looking to see if it suddenly goes down to one (or zero) bars as the phone becomes active and it frequency hops.

When a call is connected the phone shifts from control channel to a working channel, which may fail if there is a fault at the cell base station. I've actually experienced this, where the base had one failed sector, and the call would drop as soon as the mobile device moved into the bad sector. The problem only hit working channel, not the control channel. Again, testing on another cell some miles away would help to identify this problem.

It is highly unlikely that 200 defective phones could slip through the QA process and all end up with one customer.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    Thanked by 2:
    BigBadWulf (08-29-2012),  bungaboy (08-30-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Love how people always say it is the phone at fault.... Smartphone technology depends on carrier infrasture and how the compay's IT configured the phones... Not once does the OP consider a different reason... always the phones's fault... IF the phone in question were so bad then I would think a vast number of other people other than the office would have the same issue.... From a personal standpoint.... My local cell coverage is excellent and my phone will ususally go a good couple of days.... When I visit some friends who are at the fringe of their coverage area.... my phones battery drain in about 4 hours.... must have a "garbage Phone".....
    andy957, maxx71 and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Default You can dress it up anyway you like,the core issue is the phone!!

I have had Blackberry's since 2004, this is the first one I have had that has failed to deliver the basics of a phone!!
    I can drop the sim into another phone and immediately make calls from the same place using the same network.
    A basic test but one that confirms it's the 9790.
    I use my phone constantly and know most of the dead zones I drive past, this new 9790 has created a whole lot more of them.
    To sum up, there may be some software tweaks to be had but I doubt they will fix the core flawed design.
    With products like this I predict the demise of Blackberry sooner rather than later!
    If there is someone out there that has a solution to the poor signal problem I would love to hear from them.
    I get the impression that I have joined some kind of a blinkered cult everyone in denial about the obvious,but if that works for you.........
    CrackBerry Addict

I have had Blackberry's since 2004, this is the first one I have had that has failed to deliver the basics of a phone!!
    If there is someone out there that has a solution to the poor signal problem I would love to hear from them.
    jazzert100: did you try any of the troubleshooting tricks that Branta described? that would be the first step in resolving the problem. btw, you still haven't quoted any of the model numbers or the current os verson for us, that would also help bring some more information for us to help you.

btw, if something is so obviosuly wrong, you would know what the problem is and wouldnt need our help, now would you? And please don't reply with a general statement like, its a problem with the design of the phone.. thats hardly useful.
    Last edited by spike12; 08-29-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Apologies, it's 7.0.0.611 ,this is an enterprise device,I have tried an update but says it is on the latest version.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thanks..

From Branta:If the cellular signal is low the phone will use more power (reduced battery life) to stay in contact with the system and during a call, and call drop is more likely on a weak signal. Watch the signal indicator on one of the phones during a call, looking to see if it suddenly goes down to one (or zero) bars as the phone becomes active and it frequency hops.

"When a call is connected the phone shifts from control channel to a working channel, which may fail if there is a fault at the cell base station. I've actually experienced this, where the base had one failed sector, and the call would drop as soon as the mobile device moved into the bad sector. The problem only hit working channel, not the control channel. Again, testing on another cell some miles away would help to identify this problem."

When you're making phone calls does the signal strength change from just before you make the call to when the call is connected?
  14. 2c
    CrackBerry Addict

Apologies, it's 7.0.0.611 ,this is an enterprise device,I have tried an update but says it is on the latest version.
    contact your it administrator who pushed the it policy in it to limit from upgrading

same thing with my official 9900