CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Text Messages Deleted after around 30 days

hi all, I've noticed that my oldest text messages are being deleted, seemingly around 30 days after receipt. Then the icon also goes green.

Is there a setting where I can make it so that the text messages don't get deleted, unless I manually do so ? I've searched the phone & called T-Mobile, but to no avail. I would like this retained, so I know the "Last Contacted" date, so I can eventually find a way to stay in better contact with my contacts.

Peculiarly, some messages, within an entire text message thread do get kept, so I'm really unsure why that would be. I don't recall doing anything different on those few messages.

Anyways, if there is a setting somewhere and you know where, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Pierino
    CrackBerry User

The exact same things happens to me, so i would be interested in the answer as well.

Just so you know, i have 250mb of memory left.

Thanks guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Here:

Messages > Menu > Options > Messages Display and Actions (scroll to the bottom).

I'd advise against setting all messages for forever-keeping. Rather you use Menu > Archive the ones you really want to keep, because after sometime (not now, not tomorrow) all those stored messages will bog down your 9780's performance.

Myself, I set it at 15 days.

EDIT: I must add that since the Gmail Plugin, I find myself deleting emails as soon as I act on them (provided I am sure I will not need to wait for a reply within that same week) and then searching for the messages if I ever need them again. Of course, right now, this only works on BIS/Gmail or BES/Work accounts.
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-03-2011 at 10:23 PM.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry Abuser

I had originally set it to keep messages forever on my 9650 Tour when I had it. I didn't really think much of it becuase I had 150MB or so of free space. Then, when I got to around 1000 unread emails (spam control used to be a problem for me) the phone started to get noticeably slower, not to mention backups took 15 minutes. Definitely don't keep everything forever if you don't have to. I keep them for thew standard 30 days on my 9780 now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Nice one diegonei, I was actually in the bank today, and wanted to make a payment, the details were on a deleted email, but the bank man managed to track it down and was done, it's just things like that that's just a bit nerve wracking, will keep an eye on the speed, but do prefer to keep a bit longer. I figure this means that setting applies to Emails, Blackberry Messenger & Text Messages. Now the T-Mobile person I spoke to didn't know this.

Cheers
    Pierino

I also have my device set only to delete things on the handheld. This way I can keep the device clean without really losing anything.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry Newbie

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by diegonei View Post
    Here:

Messages > Menu > Options > Messages Display and Actions (scroll to the bottom).

I'd advise against setting all messages for forever-keeping. Rather you use Menu > Archive the ones you really want to keep, because after sometime (not now, not tomorrow) all those stored messages will bog down your 9780's performance.

Myself, I set it at 15 days.

EDIT: I must add that since the Gmail Plugin, I find myself deleting emails as soon as I act on them (provided I am sure I will not need to wait for a reply within that same week) and then searching for the messages if I ever need them again. Of course, right now, this only works on BIS/Gmail or BES/Work accounts.
    I've tried to do what you've adviced, but I couldn't get the Messages > Menu > Options > Messages Display and Actions (scroll to the bottom). What I have are General Text
    Messaging Options, SMS, MMS. There is no Messages Display and Actions. The old text messages just disappear and I Desperately need them back. Please help! Thank you!
    By the way I'm using Bold 9780 v6.0.0.448
    CrackBerry Newbie

@melbas: You need to open up the option of your "email" message and not "sms". then you can surely find the steps mentioned by @diegonei. Good Luck!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by HiroCrackberry View Post
    @melbas: You need to open up the option of your "email" message and not "sms". then you can surely find the steps mentioned by @diegonei. Good Luck!
    oh! lol I got it now. Thank you!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default 9780

losing sms after 15 days, wanting them to stay till i delete; what do i need to do ? also the "spanner" icon on the menu is not showing up ?? HELP
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    594 Global Posts

Look up about 10 posts in this thread, the instructions are there for you on how to hold text messages longer.

I also will add, I much prefer the 3rd party app "Crunch SMS". It is a highly customizable texting app written very well and more iPhone-esque in appearance. I'm not a big fan of iPhone, but have always thought their SMS application was one of the very finest.