Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. A93hunt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    225 Posts
    PIN
    2897531A
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Switching from a 9700 to a 9780?

    Hi all,

    I have a Bold 9700 running OS 6. Have the opportunity to upgrade to a 9780 for a dirt cheap price. For those who have made this switch... How do you feel about it? Is it worth the upgrade? How is the performance compared to the 9700?From what I understand, they both have the same exact processor. In additon, the 9780 has more RAM. I'm really interested in the pperformance. Thanks guys!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  2. curve247's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    PIN
    the drink on the irish
    #2  

    Default

    I just upgrade and paid full price. I think the performance is much better. No hour glasses and now i dont worry about how many apps i have installed. I think overall its just a better performance due to the increased memory.

    I think at the end of the day its personal preference. I ran a 9700 with OS6 and like it alot, but it just wasnt fast enough for me. But you are talking to a many who has owned 6 different blackberries in the past 2 years. Total of 11 in the past 4 years. So i just like having a new toy.
    "T-Dub"
    Verizon: iPhone 4
    T- Mo: BB 9780, 9700, 9300, 8900, 8520, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

    curve247@crackberry.com
    http://twitter.com/TDubDub
  3. ialex9's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    PIN
    .........
    #3  

    Default

    I did the updgrade over a week now and i did not regret it!
    The performing is way smoother and faster compare to my old bb 9700 on os 6.
    When i was on my bb 9700 (os 6) i have to reboot the device eveytime the memory is running out and sometimes the Browser keeps saying "page too large". Thats is really buggy.
    Good Luck on your choice
  4. Matrix Leader
    Matrix Leader's Avatar
    Guest
    #4  

    Default

    The 9780 is better. Much faster due to the 512 MB of memory, so now you can have as many apps as you want and not worry about memory leaks or free space left!

    Furthermore, the 9780 has a way better camera and the OS 6 that comes with it is much better than the one in the 9700 (bugs wise)
  5. MsBrittz1016's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
    The 9780 is better. Much faster due to the 512 MB of memory, so now you can have as many apps as you want and not worry about memory leaks or free space left!

    Furthermore, the 9780 has a way better camera and the OS 6 that comes with it is much better than the one in the 9700 (bugs wise)
    +1 I completely agree! I switched from the 9700 w the leak OS6 and the 9780 is 100x better there is no memory leak and its much faster I also notice videos play better

    Awesome camera

    More memory

    9780 all around better then the 9700 plus the black on black look is hotter

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  6. Matrix Leader
    Matrix Leader's Avatar
    Guest
    #6  

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by MsBrittz1016 View Post

    9780 all around better then the 9700 plus the black on black look is hotter

    D!tt0!! Black on Black FTW! Simply HOT!
  7. wolfgaze's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    PIN
    YES
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curve247 View Post
    I just upgrade and paid full price. I think the performance is much better. No hour glasses and now i dont worry about how many apps i have installed. I think overall its just a better performance due to the increased memory.

    I think at the end of the day its personal preference. I ran a 9700 with OS6 and like it alot, but it just wasnt fast enough for me. But you are talking to a many who has owned 6 different blackberries in the past 2 years. Total of 11 in the past 4 years. So i just like having a new toy.
    Don't forget the 5MP camera is awesome!
  8. Matrix Leader
    Matrix Leader's Avatar
    Guest
    #8  

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
    Don't forget the 5MP camera is awesome!

    Very true Mr. Wolfgaze, and the proof is >>>http://forums.crackberry.com/f219/ph...0-nice-560394/
  9. MaxPayne79's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curve247 View Post
    I just upgrade and paid full price. I think the performance is much better. No hour glasses and now i dont worry about how many apps i have installed. I think overall its just a better performance due to the increased memory.

    I think at the end of the day its personal preference. I ran a 9700 with OS6 and like it alot, but it just wasnt fast enough for me. But you are talking to a many who has owned 6 different blackberries in the past 2 years. Total of 11 in the past 4 years. So i just like having a new toy.
    i have a question for you..
    out of all the bb's u had that ran os6, which one appeared the fastest to you?

    thanx
  10. MaxPayne79's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    would you guys say the 9780 is faster then the 9800?
    or it's not really possible to compare?
    cause i had the 9700 with os 6 and it was too slow for me so i bought a unbranded torch straight from rim, and yeah its faster but i simply cannot get used to it.
    Last edited by MaxPayne79; 02-02-2011 at 04:03 AM.
  11. SK122387's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,454 Posts
    PIN
    2BD01FD1
    #11  

    Default

    I love my 9780! I got a white one, as I had been used to the black 9700 and wanted a little change. The memory boost is really noticed, it never gives me the clock or hourglass, and opening menus is really quick, just much smoother than the 9700, even with the latest leak of os6. The 5mp camera is also pretty cool too. I've played with my friend's Torch and the 9780 is a lot quicker in general, or maybe it's just because I'm so used to the traditional form factor, that I never even used the touchscreen on the Torch, and sometimes even forgot that it was there haha

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  12. Matrix Leader
    Matrix Leader's Avatar
    Guest
    #12  

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPayne79 View Post
    would you guys say the 9780 is faster then the 9800?
    or it's not really possible to compare?
    cause i had the 9700 with os 6 and it was too slow for me so i bought a unbranded torch straight from rim, and yeah its faster but i simply cannot get used to it.

    OS 6 is fastest on the 9780 thanks to its 512 MB of memory and no touch screen.

    The difference is not that big, but there is a slight speed boost for the 9780.
  13. MaxPayne79's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Yeah I find os 6 on the 9700 a disaster. To me it looks like a half assed os after using it on the torch, then going back to the bold. I can't use it anymore cause it's so slow and missing more then few features that are on the torch. Plus the extra ram and the updated processor to me make the 9780 the best blackberry device out there. Too bad the upcoming bold touch is missing the left convince key which is something I have a very hard time living without. But thanx for the input. You guys pretty much left me with one option..and that's always a good thing.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  14. Matrix Leader
    Matrix Leader's Avatar
    Guest
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPayne79 View Post
    Yeah I find os 6 on the 9700 a disaster. To me it looks like a half assed os after using it on the torch, then going back to the bold. I can't use it anymore cause it's so slow and missing more then few features that are on the torch. Plus the extra ram and the updated processor to me make the 9780 the best blackberry device out there. Too bad the upcoming bold touch is missing the left convince key which is something I have a very hard time living without. But thanx for the input. You guys pretty much left me with one option..and that's always a good thing.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

    glad we could help let us know when u get it
  15. Fonz0's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Mine is on the way here now so the signature is premature. Will advise.
    ‎Work hard.
    Play hard.
    PlayBook.

    Bold 9780 (OS v6.0.0.600)
    PlayBook 32GB (1.0.6.2670)
  16. Matrix Leader
    Matrix Leader's Avatar
    Guest
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fonz0 View Post
    Mine is on the way here now so the signature is premature. Will advise.

    No offense dude, but noone would be relaly interested to read 2 lines of device history in ur sig. the latest device is more than enough
  17. yehrulz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,060 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ata. Ask for pin!
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
    No offense dude, but noone would be relaly interested to read 2 lines of device history in ur sig. the latest device is more than enough

    AHAHA and that was about 2500 of your posts compared to 3 lines of his sig
    BigBadWulf - "Word of advice - Stick to the seasoned veterans here. If you see someone who averages about 100 posts a day, gnrally speaking they have little experience, and want to prove it as often as possible. "
    "Thank you. I am tired of copy/pasting the same instructions."
  18. Lucky45's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,780 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,781 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a93hunt View Post
    Hi all,

    I have a Bold 9700 running OS 6. Have the opportunity to upgrade to a 9780 for a dirt cheap price. For those who have made this switch... How do you feel about it? Is it worth the upgrade? How is the performance compared to the 9700?From what I understand, they both have the same exact processor. In additon, the 9780 has more RAM. I'm really interested in the pperformance. Thanks guys!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    IMO - unless you use a lot of apps there's not a big enough difference between the two. If my 9780 wasn't white I wouldn't be able to tell then difference from my black 9700 I use for work...

    If $$ isn't the issues and you like having the 'best' Blackberry then get it and enjoy...but if not I'd save your upgrade for the 'Touch Bold' coming later this year.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  19. A93hunt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    225 Posts
    PIN
    2897531A
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

    Default

    Thanks for the advice guys. I know this sounds silly but does the 9700 have any aspect that can trump the 9780? I just wanted to make sure that the 9780 is better in every aspect..
    -Arthur
  20. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,707 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,723 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a93hunt View Post
    I know this sounds silly but does the 9700 have any aspect that can trump the 9780? I just wanted to make sure that the 9780 is better in every aspect..
    The ONLY thing the 9700 has over the 9780 is the ability to run OS5 or OS6... in every other aspect, the 9780 trumps it
    • That's Phill… with 2 L's
  21. CatAlex's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,300 Posts
    PIN
    up grrrrrl
    #21  

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Phill_UK View Post
    The ONLY thing the 9700 has over the 9780 is the ability to run OS5 or OS6... in every other aspect, the 9780 trumps it
    +1 on that.

    I was originally a little concerned it wouldn't be "much" of an upgrade from the 9700, but actually it smokes the 9700 IMO.
    Thanked by:
    Nels (02-03-2011) 
  22. CatAlex's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,300 Posts
    PIN
    up grrrrrl
    #22  

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
    No offense dude, but noone would be relaly interested to read 2 lines of device history in ur sig. the latest device is more than enough
    Hahahaha I was JUST thinking the same thing as I was reading the thread!
  23. Lucky45's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,780 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,781 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPayne79 View Post
    I can't use it anymore cause it's so slow and missing more then few features that are on the torch.
    I'm confused - what 'features' are missing?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by lucky45; 02-02-2011 at 09:36 PM.
  24. imang's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    163 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yehrulz View Post
    AHAHA and that was about 2500 of your posts compared to 3 lines of his sig
    Lol, I'm waiting for ML to get banned for 2nd times

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  25. Nels's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    258 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    I got the white 9780 on the day it came out and gave my 9700 to my daughter. I have never missed the 9700 (although I like that model too). The 9780 is fast, stylish, and fun. I have to admit, I love a Blackberry upgrade!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions