CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Unhappy Phone Reboots On Its Own

Hey Guys,

I need help - My phone has started rebooting on it's own whenever it wants. It reboots -

1) While its lying idle in my pocket
    2) While I am making a call
    3) While I am writing an email / text message
    4) While I am BBMing anyone
    5) While I try to click the picture

I feel it has to do with OS install issue but when i installed the 6.0.0.723 version, everything worked fine for about 20 days but then this problem started happening.

Model - Bold 9780
    OS Version - 6.0.0.723
    Carrier - Vodafone India

I am based out of India and not sure of the BB service center in my vicinity to go get this checked so any help here would be appreciated.

If you want me to reinstall the OS, please let me know what's the process to install it through a MAC laptop.

Waiting to hear back from all the techy geeks

Cheers,
    Amish Singhal
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    656 Global Posts

How many Apps have you got installed? It could be one of those bugging out and causing the reboot.

It is not going to be the OS causing this as this forum would be full of people screaming about the same issue by now.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    28519AFC

How long have you had this phone for?
    It also could be a battery weakness now...
    or you could try and upgrade to another OS latest version and it does not have to be the carrier you are on to update...
    Paul Atherton
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Guys,

1) I have about 20 apps
    2) I have used this phone for almost a year now
    3) Could it be a hardware issue?

Amish
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    656 Global Posts

1) Twenty Apps? May be worth listing them here in case anyone recognises a problem app.

Have you checked for updates for all of those apps?

I'd also be tempted to uninstall a few of them for a few days. Taking batches of them off in turn. See if the phone suddenly starts to behave again. Once you have done the test, you can obviously put them back on again.

3) Hardware issue? Maybe. Maybe not. Hard to tell. How hot is it getting? Is it kept in a holder of some form, or just loose in your pocket? Could dirt and muck be interfering with the battery contacts?

Does it only reboot when you are using it? Or have you seen it reboot on its own while just sitting on a desk untouched? (I notice you say it reboots in your pocket which could be caused by the phone being jiggled around.) I am wondering if a loose battery could be getting knocked while using the phone.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Here are my replies to your questions Batter Pudding

1) Twenty Apps? May be worth listing them here in case anyone recognizes a problem app.

1) Foursquare
    2) Dictionary
    3) Flashlight
    4) Beta Version of Twitter
    5) Beta version of new FB
    6) Photo Editor
    7) Screen Grabber
    8) All Messengers
    9) Beta version of new BBM
    10) Google Maps
    11) Formula one app
    12) DailyHoroscope
    13) Zomato ( app to search restaurants in India )
    14) WhatsApp
    15) Cric Info
    16) Forbes
    17) TOI ( Indian newspaper app )

Have you checked for updates for all of those apps? - All my apps are updated to the latest versions

I'd also be tempted to uninstall a few of them for a few days. Taking batches of them off in turn. See if the phone suddenly starts to behave again. Once you have done the test, you can obviously put them back on again. - Don't you think this will be a big deal….I mean it would be hard to figure out which app is doing it

3) Hardware issue? Maybe. Maybe not. Hard to tell. How hot is it getting? Is it kept in a holder of some form, or just loose in your pocket? Could dirt and muck be interfering with the battery contacts? - I keep it under a case but its not hot or warm thought sometimes when i charge the battery it gets hot. Something funny happened the other day. MY cell was completely charged and it rebooted and the battery shown was in RED. Do you think phone could be rebooting because of a bad battery…..if yea….shall i try changing that first before doing any other test with OS or apps

Does it only reboot when you are using it? Or have you seen it reboot on its own while just sitting on a desk untouched? (I notice you say it reboots in your pocket which could be caused by the phone being jiggled around.) I am wondering if a loose battery could be getting knocked while using the phone. - Battery is not loose and it reboots even while lying in the drawer or at my desk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    656 Global Posts

If you can swap batteries with a friend for a few days, that will soon let you know if it is the battery at fault or one of those apps. You are correct, this is the easiest place to start. While there, also clean the battery contacts.

I am pretty sure you will trace it to the apps though. Why are you running beta versions? These are test releases which could be buggy and causing the reboot. I'd start by tracing down the forums that discuss those test editions. See if other people are getting reboots. I assume there is a system for reporting bugs with these apps?

Or just plain uninstall the Beta versions and go back to the latest stable editions.

As to the "big deal" in figuring out which app may be the problem. You have a problem which will not magically fix itself without your assistance. So you need to start looking at the apps and temporarily remove some for a while.

You say the reboot is very regular. So all you need to do is uninstall some apps for a day. If the reboot stops, then you know one of the apps you removed is at fault.

You can do this test with five apps at a time. Starting with those you use less. For example, take off 2), 3), 7), 11), 12) for the day. If the rebooting stops. Then put these apps back on one at a time. That way you can narrow down your problems.

I would also concentrate on the apps that are always running for some reason. Which includes the free apps with their extra advertising overheads. And think about the company who made the app - do you trust them to keep it up to date?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Blackberry Curve reboots on it's own

I've had my phone over 2 years and haven't added any new apps to it. It has been rebooting on it's own. It was rebooting when I scrolled through emails today it rebooted while I was talking on it. Any suggestions! Thanks!!!!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,466 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Widen View Post
    I've had my phone over 2 years and haven't added any new apps to it. It has been rebooting on it's own. It was rebooting when I scrolled through emails today it rebooted while I was talking on it. Any suggestions! Thanks!!!!
    How is your battery? Has it been holding its charge just as well, or is it draining more quickly now?
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

Default Re: Phone Reboots On Its Own

Full wipe, install latest os without any back up. New start. :-p
    I Jiraiya. The Epitome of Manliness.