Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
Like Tree1Likes
  1. wild_dan's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default No data services when disconnecting from Wi-Fi

    Folks,

    Lately I've been having trouble with my 9780. Whenever I'm connected to a Wi-Fi network for more than approx. 30 minutes, and leave the range of the network (or switch off Wi-Fi connectivity), the phone loses its data services when falling back to the mobile network. It only shows 3G without the four dots, or "edge" in lower case letters.

    It appears that this is a known issue with the Torch, but not really with the Bold. I've tried everything suggested in the lengthy threads for the Torch, including

    - deleting all saved wireless networks and setting them up completely new
    - deleting all apps that were installed or updated to a newer version before this issue started
    - install a different software version (I used to run .723 and am on .668 now)
    - resend service books
    - erase Google Maps completely.

    None of these steps fixed the issue. The only thing I can do right now is disable data services and enable them again, and the phone instantly shows the 4 dots again. Needless to say, this is a pain in the neck since my phone is constantly on Wi-Fi and I don't always want to check if it has the connection or not.#

    Does anyone have the same issue and found a way to fix this ? I would be very grateful to get this working again, since it's never been an issue until about 3 weeks ago.

    Thanks !!!
  2. sectionsix's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    PIN
    25DDF6E3
    #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wild_dan View Post
    Folks,

    Lately I've been having trouble with my 9780. Whenever I'm connected to a Wi-Fi network for more than approx. 30 minutes, and leave the range of the network (or switch off Wi-Fi connectivity), the phone loses its data services when falling back to the mobile network. It only shows 3G without the four dots, or "edge" in lower case letters.

    It appears that this is a known issue with the Torch, but not really with the Bold. I've tried everything suggested in the lengthy threads for the Torch, including

    - deleting all saved wireless networks and setting them up completely new
    - deleting all apps that were installed or updated to a newer version before this issue started
    - install a different software version (I used to run .723 and am on .668 now)
    - resend service books
    - erase Google Maps completely.

    None of these steps fixed the issue. The only thing I can do right now is disable data services and enable them again, and the phone instantly shows the 4 dots again. Needless to say, this is a pain in the neck since my phone is constantly on Wi-Fi and I don't always want to check if it has the connection or not.#

    Does anyone have the same issue and found a way to fix this ? I would be very grateful to get this working again, since it's never been an issue until about 3 weeks ago.

    Thanks !!!

    You might want to open a ticket with TMO. I going to on Monday. I have been having the same issue for two weeks now. I have also noticed an issue while commuting to work (wifi off). My Bold will have full 3G bars but no BIS service or be on edge. For the past four days my wife has told me that she can't use BBM or her browser when she first gets to work after leaving our house with WIFI on. I suspect she is having the same issue but, I'm not sure yet. She is running the .448 TMO OS build and I am running .722.
    Owner of T-Mobile Bold 9780 and a 16GB Playbook
    @sectionsix
  3. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,231 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #3  

    Default

    Calling your carrier would be a very wise decision. Something internal on their end has gone wrong.
  4. soren203's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    have you checked your mobile network options? is data on?
  5. joet1678's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Same problem here, also on T-Mobile. For me, it will correct itself also if I move from a 3G spot to an Edge spot or vice versa. Apparently T-Mobile will be getting quite a few calls on Monday as I have run out of ideas on how to fix it too. Let me know how your calls go.
  6. wild_dan's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    Just a quick update: I'm on the phone with T-Mobile service for the 2nd time today. After the usual "network reset" didn't bring the desired success, the 2nd rep suggested to do a security wipe (unnecessary since I just did full wipes when I loaded a different software) and now suggested to replace the phone !? After specifically asking for it, I'm now on the phone with a RIM representative. I'll keep you guys in the loop
  7. USCTrojan4JC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    PIN
    279AD0B1
    #7  

    Default

    I've been having the same issue for roughly the same amount of time (OS 6.0.0.723 on unlocked Bold 9780on T-Mobile U.S.).

    Maybe this thread is related?

    Internet Browser Service book issue for BIS
  8. gallifrey's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    I'm also having the same probelm on T-mobile, I noticed it about a week or so ago.
  9. wild_dan's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

    Default

    I'm on the phone with RIM again, re-sending the "most current" service books didn't fix the issue.

    I mentioned that there appear to be a handful of people on T-Mobile who are experiencing the same issue. Is there any common denominator for us, e.g. device software version, BES, etc. ?

    I first experienced the issue with .723 but like I said I downgraded to .668 and am now on .722 -- same thing all along. Also, I have BIS and BES provisioning on my line. Do you guys only have BIS ?

    Just trying to respond to the rep's questions as helpful as possible...
  10. sectionsix's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    PIN
    25DDF6E3
    #10  

    Default

    Both me and my wife have BIS. At first I thought it had to do with upgrading to .723 but, now I'm on .722. My wife how is also having the issue and is on TMO .448. Her phone has been on this build since we got our BB's. The only common denominators that I see are that we are all on TMO and have 9780's.
    Owner of T-Mobile Bold 9780 and a 16GB Playbook
    @sectionsix
  11. wild_dan's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sectionsix View Post
    Both me and my wife have BIS. At first I thought it had to do with upgrading to .723 but, now I'm on .722. My wife how is also having the issue and is on TMO .448. Her phone has been on this build since we got our BB's. The only common denominators that I see are that we are all on TMO and have 9780's.
    Thanks. Are you guys using UMA / Wi-Fi calling by any chance ?
  12. joet1678's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wild_dan View Post
    Thanks. Are you guys using UMA / Wi-Fi calling by any chance ?
    Yes, I am.
  13. USCTrojan4JC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    PIN
    279AD0B1
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wild_dan View Post
    Thanks. Are you guys using UMA / Wi-Fi calling by any chance ?
    Yes. I do.
  14. joet1678's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Well, mine seems to be working fine now. Apparently TMO figured out the problem. Thanks for the people that called (I never got the chance).
  15. wild_dan's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joet1678 View Post
    Well, mine seems to be working fine now. Apparently TMO figured out the problem. Thanks for the people that called (I never got the chance).
    Not here
  16. Jaredius's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    200 Posts
    PIN
    G 4.2.2.2
    #16  

    Default

    I, too am having this issue beginning a few weeks ago and have tried everything known to resolve it on my own to no avail. I have to turn off connects, wait and turn them back on to get it back working on 3G after leaving WiFi.

    This is still not fixed and T-Mo rep's answer to "get another phone" makes me want to change carriers...again.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
  17. wild_dan's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredius View Post
    This is still not fixed and T-Mo rep's answer to "get another phone" makes me want to change carriers...again.
    I second that. As much as I like their pricing, their customer service reps have no clue what they're talking about sometimes. When I first noticed this issue, I went to a T-Mobile store and the lady over there told me that the BlackBerry is not supposed to restore the data connection automatically

    I already made an attempt to switch to AT&T earlier this year, and took advantage of their 30-day cancellation policy. After having to explain to a CSR what international roaming is, I didn't feel that paying more than double of T-Mobile's prices is justified in any way.
    Last edited by wild_dan; 03-21-2012 at 11:01 AM.
  18. joet1678's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Sorry, I am a dummy. It worked this morning a couple times and I thought it was fixed. Apparently I was just getting lucky as now it is back to the same problelm. Sorry if I got anyones hopes up. As I said, I am an dummy.
    Last edited by joet1678; 03-21-2012 at 12:02 PM.
  19. gallifrey's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    I think I might have found a solution that at least worked for me so far, and hasn't dropped bis when dropping wifi. It was re-registering the host routing table.

    While on the mobile network w/bis I went to Settings>Device>Advanced System Settings>Host Routing Tables>(Menu key)>Register Now. Waited for the confirmation text and rebooted just for good measure. It hasn't dropped bis when switching so far after I've been testing it, but it's only been about 12hrs since I did that.
  20. wild_dan's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gallifrey View Post
    I think I might have found a solution that at least worked for me so far, and hasn't dropped bis when dropping wifi. It was re-registering the host routing table.

    While on the mobile network w/bis I went to Settings>Device>Advanced System Settings>Host Routing Tables>(Menu key)>Register Now. Waited for the confirmation text and rebooted just for good measure. It hasn't dropped bis when switching so far after I've been testing it, but it's only been about 12hrs since I did that.
    I've tried the same thing but it's still too early to tell for me since I've only been on Wi-Fi for about 10 minutes. How long had you been on the Wi-Fi before you disconnected?
  21. gallifrey's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    I left mine idle overnight on wifi and this morning it did the same thing when switching over to the mobile network, and not connect to bis. It seems like the longer it sits on wifi idle the greater the chance it will have not connecting to bis when taken off wifi
  22. wild_dan's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gallifrey View Post
    I left mine idle overnight on wifi and this morning it did the same thing when switching over to the mobile network, and not connect to bis. It seems like the longer it sits on wifi idle the greater the chance it will have not connecting to bis when taken off wifi
    Yes, same here. After only 10-20 minutes on Wi-Fi it reconnects to BIS just fine, but after about 40-60 minutes it doesn't anymore. The RIM guys have had the problem on their desk since last week Tuesday (more than a week now), and still haven't found the solution. I even sent them my debug log and everything. They say it doesn't seem to be a network issue but I have yet to hear from someone on AT&T or the Canadian networks who encounters the same issue.
  23. sectionsix's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    PIN
    25DDF6E3
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wild_dan View Post
    Thanks. Are you guys using UMA / Wi-Fi calling by any chance ?
    Yes i am. My wife has also confirmed this morning that BIS was not connected when she got to work. She is still running the stock TMO build and her phone has never been upgraded.
    Owner of T-Mobile Bold 9780 and a 16GB Playbook
    @sectionsix
  24. USCTrojan4JC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    PIN
    279AD0B1
    #24  

    Default

    This is annoying. What are we to do? Are we just at RIM's mercy? Not having any BIS data when I'm not connected to WiFi basically makes my 9780 a dumbphone when I'm not at home or work.
  25. wild_dan's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USCTrojan4JC View Post
    This is annoying. What are we to do? Are we just at RIM's mercy? Not having any BIS data when I'm not connected to WiFi basically makes my 9780 a dumbphone when I'm not at home or work.
    I agree 100% but it seems like there is not much we can do at this point. I just called RIM again and as expected, they're "still working on the issue". I think it's sad though that an advanced technological device like a smartphone works without issues for quite a while, and then all of a sudden starts acting up and the manufacturer is clueless about the reasons...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions