Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vswr
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Arrow Merging Multiple Contact lists (Same ID but different Contacts)?

I have 3 contact lists with the same yahoo email id. The first one has 0 contacts, the second one has 160 contacts, the 3rd one (the default one now) has 10 contacts. Each of the contacts is different in the lists. How can i merge them under 1 single contact list?

PS - When i see the contacts on my yahoo mail, there are just 3 of the 10 (the current default contact list) even though i have put synchronization to on.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Consolidate Your Contact Lists

That might help, even though it's three years old.
    CrackBerry User

Different sync profiles can create multiple contact lists on the BB that are thereafter very difficult to change or merge. RIM acknowledges this to be a problem and is working on a fix. (There are some suggested workarounds in the BES world.)

Assuming that you want to merge all of your BB contact lists into a single list on the BB, here is a procedure that works:
    1. Install Blackberry Editor software on your PC (free from Processtext.com)
    2. Using BB Desktop, temporarily turn off all sync functions.
    3. Using BB Desktop, make a backup .ipd file of your BB
    4. Using Blackberry Editor, open the backup .ipd file (edit if you wish) and 'save as' a new backup file.
    5. On the BB, open Contacts, Options. Type rset. Wipe all contact lists.
    6. Using BB Desktop, restore the BB Address Book from the previously saved new backup file.

There should now be only one merged contact list (called Default) on the BB. You can then set the sync functions with your account in the usual way.
    Last edited by vswr; 02-16-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    Thanked by:
    jaskaran27 (02-16-2012) 
    jaskaran27 likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by vswr View Post
    Different sync profiles can create multiple contact lists on the BB that are thereafter very difficult to change or merge. RIM acknowledges this to be a problem and is working on a fix. (There are some suggested workarounds in the BES world.)

Assuming that you want to merge all of your BB contact lists into a single list on the BB, here is a procedure that works:
    1. Install Blackberry Editor software on your PC (free from Processtext.com)
    2. Using BB Desktop, temporarily turn off all sync functions.
    3. Using BB Desktop, make a backup .ipd file of your BB
    4. Using Blackberry Editor, open the backup .ipd file (edit if you wish) and 'save as' a new backup file.
    5. On the BB, open Contacts, Options. Type rset. Wipe all contact lists.
    6. Using BB Desktop, restore the BB Address Book from the previously saved new backup file.

There should now be only one merged contact list (called Default) on the BB. You can then set the sync functions with your account in the usual way.
    It worked. Thanks a ton!
    CrackBerry User

Glad it worked for you. People have been trying to solve this one for a long time.

The trick here is that the Editor software merges and removes the contact list IDs so that you can restore a single list to a cleaned up BB. (If you use only Desktop to backup, wipe the BB, and restore, then the unwanted IDs are restored as well.)
    CrackBerry Abuser

I followed vswr's suggestion a few days ago, and I realized that the app he suggests ends up congregating each of the contacts' address info into the "address 1" field as opposed to leaving it split up as it originally is with the "city", "province/state", "postal/zip code", and "country" fields all empty. So in result, when you try to look an address up in your contacts on BB maps, you end up getting an error message because it doesn't know how to read it. Keep that in mind if you're planning on using that tool.

EDIT: I've however found a tool that seems to convert the addresses correctly. So for step 4, I'd use MagicBerry which you can get from download.com. Then, I'd open the IPD file in MagicBerry, from the file menu click "manipulate" --> "merge", then check "address book" which should highlight check all of the entries, and then click the "merge selected" button at the bottom. When it's done, it will create a new IPD file under C:\Program Files\MagicBerry (or if you're on a 64 bit version of Windows, it'd be under C:\Program Files (x86)\MagicBerry). Copy that file into the folder where your IPD backup files usually go when backing your BB data within Desktop Manager, and then follow the rest of the steps from vswr's post above ;-)
    Last edited by Sashko; 03-13-2012 at 11:45 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Good work Sashko. Thanks for improving the procedure.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thanks vswr, and anytime :-)