Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Volareman
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How's the 9780 on Tmobile nowadays?

Hello,

I'm thinking of picking up a 9780 to curb my BB cravings until the Classic comes out.

Does T-Mobile still support the UMA wifi calling?

Global Posts
    33,480 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

It should work. It worked for me when I had my 9780. I think as long as the software supports it you are good.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,871 Global Posts

They still support WiFi calling on OS7 devices, I don't see why UMA would stop working.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Passport, Classic
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks folks, good to know!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Wait! Don't do that man, the 9780 is overpriced in comparison with its better OS 7 siblings.
    The materials used and feel of device is fantastic, but I found something terrible that made it unusable for me..
    It can't load most webpages as it has too little RAM. I know you want it for that sweet keyboard and faux leather feel, but think about this.
    My hindsight just whispered the flaws of my past decisions. No...
    There are no "stupid" questions..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by mEntal8y View Post
    Wait! Don't do that man, the 9780 is overpriced in comparison with its better OS 7 siblings.
    The materials used and feel of device is fantastic, but I found something terrible that made it unusable for me..
    It can't load most webpages as it has too little RAM. I know you want it for that sweet keyboard and faux leather feel, but think about this.
    My hindsight just whispered the flaws of my past decisions. No...
    Thanks for the reminder. I've had both 9780s and 9900s in the day, and I had a stronger attachment to the 9780 because of size, WiFi calling in hardware, and the battery life.

HOWEVER.

Twitter is one of my main sources for news, and I remember now on the 9780 I could almost never open a link on there successfully to view a news clip or story.

That puts a notch back in the 9900 column.

So I'm torn between the beauty, class, UMA, and battery life of the 9780, and the better browser in the 9900. WiFi calling on the 9900 with tmobile was spotty for me too, and the 9780 *just worked*

DAMNIT. Decisions. I found an old 9900 charging cradle in a drawer on the weekend, so that my affect my decision, too
    CrackBerry User

Why don't you use the RSS app for news? I find that a more efficient way to get all of my updates from my favorite sources.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Sean CueTen View Post
    Why don't you use the RSS app for news? I find that a more efficient way to get all of my updates from my favorite sources.
    Will explore that-- forgot about it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Just a quick update--

Got a clean, black 9780 on eBay for around fifty bucks. I've had it as my daily driver for about a week, and love it. I had one before, so it only took my a day or so to "become one" with it (you know, where the blackberry is just an extension of your arm).

Quick comments:

UMA wifi calling on T-mobile still works great, so at my office which has horrible signal, I can wander around and talk anywhere. Love it.

Spotify works great. It's not the slickest app in the world on OS6, but the damned thing works and I can search for any music, add to a playlist, and it syncs across my devices.

My goal is to make it two months, then either go to a 9900 or Q10 (if cheap) for the remainder of the time while waiting for the Classic :-)

P.S. The form factor and physical buttons are just tremendous on the 9780. Oh yeah, charging contacts and cradle, plus the two day battery life. So many good things.
    bjw408h and troubauk like this.