CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How slow is your AppWorld?

I have never considered AppWorld fast, but for the last few months it is killing me. Browsing is OK, installing is more or less fine (if you call fine downloading 3MB in 10-15 minutes, with WiFi on), but it is practically impossible to do any software upgrades. After starting an upgrade it goes to "Installing", and takes hours. Literally. 1MB takes about 30-45 minutes. 3MB usually crashes after 2-3 hours, sometimes saying that "AppWorld is not currently supported in your country", sometimes that "could not connect to server". Of course during the instalation the whole phone is practically frozen, do not react to any keys, etc. Every few minutes it reacts to something (usually to the key I pressed few minutes earlier in frustration).

I am in UK, where AppWorld is supported. I have the latest software and enough memory, I actually deleted few apps recently, hoping that it will speed things up. I am not sure if there is any solution to that, but wanted to share the frustration and see if there are any others who are frustrated too

And I know it could be much better - AppWorld on my Playbook works just fine...
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

I have the older 9700 running 3G at 3.6mbps in a low cell reception building and probably takes around 5 minutes to update an app (Twitter for BlackBerry for example) from open App World to done restarting
    XoXoXo
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Well, i had a similar situation. Every single download took a lot. 1mb in 5 minutes. Impossible to believe. It all changed when I switched my sd memory for a 8gb one. Downloading, upgrading, reinstalling, went much faster. So I would recommend you to upgrade your sd. Also, booting is faster!
    Good luck!

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9780 Argentina
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Just Ask Me :D

it's fast.
    CrackBerry Addict

It's has nothing to really do with the speed of the data connection, I believe it has more to do with the slow CPU.
    Apple iPhone 5S
    BlackBerry Bold 9900 (Retired)
    BlackBerry Bold 9780 (Retired)
    BlackBerry 8830 WE (Retired)
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Ask me :)

i downloaded almost 5mb for whatsapp from app world and it downloaded approx 1mb/min at 2G Edge But damn this app made my new bold slow
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Actually it's blistering fast now. Was so slow that attempting to download 748kb took 2 minutes!

Now it's done in less than a second. 5MB get pulled down in seconds.
    Thanked by:
    bloodyrek (07-26-2012)