Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How do you completely format blackberry?

Hello,
    Crackberry newbie here.

I have a Blackberry Bold 9780 and I would like to completely format my Blackberry. I mean complete Rambo style formatting. As in I would like to completely wipe ALL data on the Blackberry, Os, Applications, every single thing. Like you would on a computer. Does anybody know how I could go about doing this? Also, any idea if this is a bad idea? and can you give me instructions on how to install the Os back on it without third party applications besides the BB Desktop Manager? Can I just install it the same way I would update the BB? Maybe suggest another Os that you've tried that has impeccable security?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this and am very paranoid about security. I'm fairly tech savvy by the way, so executing the instructions will not be a problem, no matter the level of difficulty.

Thanks a lot
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

First of all you need to use BBSAK or jm_cmdr to wipe it completely. I always wipe my BB before a OS upgrade and it has never harmed my BB devices

Unfortunately when you say any other OS, it still has to be a Blackberry OS6 version but you can install a hybrid version.

All you have to do to reinstall the OS is (pretty much same way to update the BB to a leaked OS):
    1) Install the 9780 OS (leaked or official) onto your pc
    2) Go to: C:/ > Program Files (x86) > COmmon Files > Research in Motion > apploader
    3) Delete vendor.xml
    4) Plug in your 9780 to the pc and Run loader.exe
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

Get BBSAK on your computer and wipe the device.

Then reload the OS and restore whatever applications you want. Go into the How To forum for instructions on installing the OS on the device. You can use the "Advanced" function in BlackBerry Desktop Manager and selectively reload the data. Or you can just reinstall the apps from the original source.

All BlackBerry devices pretty much have the same level of security. No reason to be paranoid.

However, unless there is something specific you are trying to fix, there's no reason to do wipe the device. (Just an FYI that it's not really referred to as "formatting" in the BlackBerry platform.)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by aznlgcy View Post
    First of all you need to use BBSAK or jm_cmdr to wipe it completely. I always wipe my BB before a OS upgrade and it has never harmed my BB devices

Unfortunately when you say any other OS, it still has to be a Blackberry OS6 version but you can install a hybrid version.

All you have to do to reinstall the OS is (pretty much same way to update the BB to a leaked OS):
    1) Install the 9780 OS (leaked or official) onto your pc
    2) Go to: C:/ > Program Files (x86) > COmmon Files > Research in Motion > apploader
    3) Delete vendor.xml
    4) Plug in your 9780 to the pc and Run loader.exe
    Bb sak won't do the job completely, u need to perform security wipe first for those that bb sak can't do then follow by bb sak

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Would this also wipe the memory card?
    I've upgraded from a 9700 to a 9780 and will be passing my 9700 on but need to remove photos and videos from the memory card securely.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

No you won't be able to wipe the memory card in that process. Best way is going into Options and find the memory card option and format it there.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T anyone?

Just out of curiousity and ignorance perhaps- why not format the card on a PC?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  8. Matrix Leader

You can do that also, same effect as formatting it on a BB except that you won't get the BB specific folders again like Pictures, Videos, etc. (which will be empty anyway)