Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By greggebhardt
  • 1 Post By Batter Pudding
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default how to disable a period after. space?

Yh. Jst like this am using 9780 version 9780/6.0.0.294 nd I enabled adding a period after pressing space twice now I want to disable it but I can find the place I checked my options but I couldn't see it & I can swear to god I saw a place and I enabled. It

Please how do I disable it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,442 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

I will be watching this thread. I do not ever remember seeing a toggle for this feature.

Why would you want to stop it?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
    I will be watching this thread. I do not ever remember seeing a toggle for this feature.

Why would you want to stop it?
    Bcos it is. Annoying I use double space or even. More than double but it adds a periodd for me nd capitalize the next word....

Noo how do I stop it?

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

This is not changable. It is designed to help those who wish to punctuate the English language correctly with periods at the end of sentences and capital letter as the first letter of the new sentence.

I actually wish that Outlook had this feature too. It is really useful.

I tried changing Auto-text to see if I could assign <space><space> to other than a period but it would not let me.

You are stuck with this, my friend.

Global Posts
    6,442 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete6 View Post
    This is not changable. It is designed to help those who wish to punctuate the English language correctly with periods at the end of sentences and capital letter as the first letter of the new sentence.

I actually wish that Outlook had this feature too. It is really useful.

I tried changing Auto-text to see if I could assign <space><space> to other than a period but it would not let me.

You are stuck with this, my friend.
    I have got so used to it I sometimes double space on my desktop or laptop keyboard and it does not work!
    jmd.aKBar likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,948 Global Posts
    PIN
    is available upon request.

RIM made Blackberry as a BUSINESS device, so proper grammar and punctuation are part of the game. yo man if u don like it try lern to spel proper k?

i've never understood how typing like that is "cool". makes me question their education.

And I've never seen or heard of anyone changing the double spacebar thing... and you're the first I've seen to want it changed. Most people love it once they learn about it!

CrackBerry Newbie

Hi, I have the same problem.
    It is very annoying because with the 9780 sometime with one space it came twice.

Global Posts
    6,442 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Beppua View Post
    Hi, I have the same problem.
    It is very annoying because with the 9780 sometime with one space it came twice.
    This is more likely to be a key board problem which MANY are having here that double the inputs on the space bar resulting in a period. It is a hardware defect that many are experiencing.

Many are getting double letters, your hardware error is doing it on the space bar. About once a week, mine is doing it too.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Quote Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
    This is more likely to be a key board problem which MANY are having here that double the inputs on the space bar resulting in a period. It is a hardware defect that many are experiencing.

Many are getting double letters, your hardware error is doing it on the space bar. About once a week, mine is doing it too.
    If that is the case then the OP should try this fix http://forums.crackberry.com/f219/do...solved-585481/.

I have not had the problem of double keypresses (at least my Mrs. Pete6 has not complained that her new 9780 is doing double key presses) so I can;t vouch for this fix but it clearly did something for the OP of the thread.
  10. Matrix Leader

It's not a double keypress issue Mr. Pete, as she doesn't have that issue in BBM messages, normal messages, addressbook, etc.

not even in the browser, just in the address bar

upgrading from 359 to 448 in a while
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ///M3

Yea i learned and i love it!

CrackBerry Newbie

I hate this! I just got a replacement 9650 under warranty and my old one (9 mos old purchased new from Sprint), with supposedly latest firmware, did NOT do this! This refurb'd unit does. A *workaround* is to hit the cap key for the second and subsequent spaces to make them really be spaces but I would love to disable this.

Global Posts
    6,442 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by snow29 View Post
    I hate this! I just got a replacement 9650 under warranty and my old one (9 mos old purchased new from Sprint), with supposedly latest firmware, did NOT do this! This refurb'd unit does. A *workaround* is to hit the cap key for the second and subsequent spaces to make them really be spaces but I would love to disable this.
    There is no way to disable, it is a feature. It sounds like you had a Blackberry with a good keyboard but got a bad keyboard when the gave you an older but refurbished device.

I would go back and tell them to replace it again or give you a new one without the problem. That would be MY "work around"
    CrackBerry Addict

this is prolly one of my most loved features xD
    R.I.P. Grandpa
    DEC-16-1936 - AUG-10-2013

Global Posts
    6,442 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

I really wish my PC keyboards would do the same. I know my iPhone does so it is catching on!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I had this issue on my 9900. updating it to the latest firmware resolved this. its a bug in the OS.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Nuisance!!!

I have been thinking of buying a new phone, either Blackberry or iPhone. I intend to purchase whichever of the two does not have this super-annoying and useless feature. It slows down typing speed, creates embarrassing typos "automatically" and requires the expenditure of time to go over the text of a completed message to correct these unwanted interjections. Those of us who right as part of our profession have no need for automated punctuation, and less need for this frustrating nuisance. Anyone know if i-Phone has the same infirmity, or if the new Z10 has corrected it? Thanks.
    CrackBerry Genius

On my 9900 holding the Caps key while double tapping space overrides the period at the end of the sentence.

Right snow29 already said this... my bad.
    For the best typing experience only one brand does it the best. That brand is BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry. Nobody likes a typo.

Check out my collection of CB and BB wallpapers
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyGeorge View Post
    I have been thinking of buying a new phone, either Blackberry or iPhone. I intend to purchase whichever of the two does not have this super-annoying and useless feature. It slows down typing speed, creates embarrassing typos "automatically" and requires the expenditure of time to go over the text of a completed message to correct these unwanted interjections. Those of us who right as part of our profession have no need for automated punctuation, and less need for this frustrating nuisance. Anyone know if i-Phone has the same infirmity, or if the new Z10 has corrected it? Thanks.
    I don't think it's an annoying and useless feature. The (space) (space) instead of (period) (space) was meant to allow your thumb to just double tap at the end of a sentence instead of pressing (alt)(period) (space). It would be slightly faster. As for any other type of punctuation, other than commas, you can edit Word Substitution in BBOS. Although in the case of the Z10 I believe it is supposed to learn your style of typing over a short period of time.
    For the best typing experience only one brand does it the best. That brand is BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry. Nobody likes a typo.

Check out my collection of CB and BB wallpapers
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

@BigGuyGeorge: Once you get used to this, it is actually an improvement in speed. But it can EASILY be disabled. This is just auto-correction text. Like a spell checker that replaces "teh" with "the". Other auto corrects lets you type "youre" and it corrects to "you're". And so forth.

There is a toggle in the options to disable this feature completely. As well as a list that lets YOU choose exactly which abbreviations get replaced with other text. Personally I have set my own shortcut of "000" to auto-fill my home phone number when talking to people via SMS.

So this is clearly a "feature" and not a hindrance. And 100% under your control. (I have no idea why some people above claim this cannot be disabled...)

And all smart phone have some level of auto-correct. I laugh at some of the bizarre guesses of words I get from iPhone users. At least the Blackberry has a "normal" spell checker like on a PC that lets YOU go back and choose what to correct instead of an ***** phone guessing for you.
    eddy_berry likes this.