Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Thumbs up Got my 9780, an in depth review

I have owned my 9780 for almost a week now, and I gotta say it's the best portable device I've ever owned. There's some back story to this, so it's gonna be a lengthy post....

First off, I am a former 9000 owner, that jumped to the 9700 last year when it was released. I was very happily using that device for nearly a year until I accidentally cracked the lcd....that was a few months ago, when there was no blurb of the 9780 coming to AT&T. I impatiently ran out and got a Torch, nice phone, but I didn't think the slider form was intuitive like the form factor of the Bold. It seemed like a hassle to always open that phone, and the launch OS was awful and laggy. I returned it, and hastily grabbed another 9000, used on eBay....

The 9000 was not as great as I remembered it. I got spoiled by the excellent camera that was featured on the 9700, and the FAST trackpad. Using the trackball was just slow, and I ran into the hourglass many times and experienced memory leaks, even after a factory reset and OS update.....So I sold that one on eBay, and was without a phone for a while.

Finally got around to snagging a 9780 unlocked on eBay, seemed like the most logical choice, and I felt there would be a certain familiarity due to my extremely positive experience of the 9700. What I hadn't anticipated, was just how much more refined the 9780 was going to be.

Immediately out the of the box, I felt the difference in build quality. The battery door didn't have a fit issue, or wasn't difficult to take off like my 9700. The keyboard is super tight on this Bold, and has the best feel of any QWERTY I've ever used, my 9700 was *slightly* clicky and this one just has a very nice solid feeling to the keyboard, like the original 9000. The trackpad is perfectly aligned, and does not creak in the slightest. My 9700 is off center by a hair, and is slightly creaky, but I had learned to live with it.

Boot up time is extremely fast on this phone, seemed to be a min or less. It was also immediately apparent that OS6 runs MUCH better here than on the Torch. The phone is very snappy, you can tell the 512MB helps big time as far as running OS6. It's perfect with trackpad too, and it's an extremely versatile OS. As much as I valued OS5, I can't ever see myself going back. The webkit browser is excellent, and most importantly fully usable and comparable to my work issued iPhone 3G. Browsing the internet with the trackpad and full keyboard is real pleasure, and a lot more fun in my opinion than browsing on my iPhone's browser.....

I decided it was time to check out the YouTube app, and looked up a Nine Inch Nails music video, and to my surprise the speaker quality has definitely been stepped up quality wise from the 9700, it's more in the league of the Torch or 9000, very nice bass response and LOUD. It's much louder than the 9700's, for sure. Video quality was excellent too. Call quality was excellent too, did a bunch of test calls to various family members.

So far I have to say that using the 9780 has simply been the most intuitive, engaging experience I have had using a portable device. If I ever damaged it, or lost it I would replace it without hesitation. To me it's the quintessential Blackberry with the best OS experience as well. If anyone is considering getting one, I say go for it, you definitely will not regret the move. This is coming from a 9700 owner that didn't think it could get any better

Now to prevent an issue like what happened with my 9700, can anyone recommend a good case for me that won't bulk up the phone too much?
    Thanked by:
    Jake Storm (12-01-2010) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

I changed from 9000 to 9780 and i t was wow factor but 9780 os6 has some issues which 9000 never had iand i missing my colum view a lot
    Bold 9000|.1049 Hybrid|BDHP v6.1; Bold 9780|.480 Hybrid|BTHM V.1
    CrackBerry User

Default 9780 case

I have an Otter Box case. It fits around the 9780 very well. It is also the best out there as far as durability and protection of your new phone. I went to the AT&T store to get it. While it says that it is for the 9700, it fits well with the 9780, as the phone specifications are the same for both. Warning: The case is a bit on the expensive side, but well worth it! I am not afraid of damaging my phone now!
    Good luck in your decision and glad you love your new phone! I love it as well.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Tzivia View Post
    I have an Otter Box case. It fits around the 9780 very well. It is also the best out there as far as durability and protection of your new phone. I went to the AT&T store to get it. While it says that it is for the 9700, it fits well with the 9780, as the phone specifications are the same for both. Warning: The case is a bit on the expensive side, but well worth it! I am not afraid of damaging my phone now!
    Good luck in your decision and glad you love your new phone! I love it as well.
    Thanks! Does the phone fit in your pocket still with the case on? I don't want to add any extra bulk if I can help it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,600 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

The case DOES add bulk and makes geting in and out of the pocket a little less easy.
    CrackBerry User

If it is the defender series it will add a LOT of bulk to the phone, the Commuter series less and may be more manageable and also offers solid protection and then the Impact series which is just a Silicone Skin.

These videos might help:

http://crackberry.com/video-review-o...erry-bold-9700

http://crackberry.com/otterbox-impac...erry-bold-9700

Hope this helps..I'm glad you are enjoying your 9780 I cant wait to get mine whenever ATT decides to release it
  7. h.y
    CrackBerry User

I concur on all points

I dont miss my 9700 one bit - hated that phone actually. If the 9780 had an AMOLED screen and stainless/aluminum case I'd be super happy
  8. Matrix Leader

Congrats on your new purchase.

The 9780 blows the 9800 out of the water in terms of typing on the keyboard and speed of the trackpad. No slider, makes it a plus to instant access of the keyboard, and the size fits just perfectly compared to the bulky 9800

Thanked by:
    highline (11-29-2010) 
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    24B58433

Great post, I have been really waiting for this kind of feedback. I am wanting to take advantage of the TMobile Bogo deal and get a black and white 9780. Although the white is for my wife, I'm not sure she would take advantage of the awesome power of the 9780. Lol She does however love the BB Style, which is a great value, only if it was offered on TMO, I digress. : (

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    19,557 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Oh, no....I didn't need to read this today.....

COME ON, AT&T!!!!! Where's that blasted 9780?!?!?

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    Oh, no....I didn't need to read this today.....

COME ON, AT&T!!!!! Where's that blasted 9780?!?!?

Ditto, Qbnkelt.

Nice review, Danondorf.
    CrackBerry User

I don't know what kind of Otter Box I have. Although it does add some bulk, it fits in my pocket still and the bulk is minimal. I think it is a very nice case, but it is the only one I've owned.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,042 Global Posts

I got tired of waiting for AT&T to get this phone. I just purchased another 9700, with the hope that I can sell it later to subsidize the purchase of the 9780 when AT&T does carry it.

Nice review. Makes me want one even more. Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

Nice review! I feel the same. No problems with the first device I received from Telus, whereas with the 9700, I went though a few that I returned defective, so a pleasant surprise. I was in the same situation as you where I dropped my 9700 and broke the screen, actually went to an 8703e that I didn't spend much on (which I found awful after owning a Bold), and figured I would replace my broken screen at some point. I then found out about Telus' early device upgrade offer and went with it. Cost me about 340 and I would say that it was worth it foor a great device! I ended up putting a CaseMate Barely There case on it. Am a bit worried that the top and bottom edges aren't covered as well as the screen, but I like the look and feel. Will just be more careful with my phone from now own!

CrackBerry Newbie

are the Automatic Font Size Adjustment (AFSA) working in this phone ?

maybe by doing Alt+trackpad , to zoom-in/zoom-out in the browser

even the webkit browser is great, but it is useless if we just always see very tiny font, or having to scroll left/right to read the full page...
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2BD01FD1

Quote Originally Posted by luqe View Post
    are the Automatic Font Size Adjustment (AFSA) working in this phone ?

maybe by doing Alt+trackpad , to zoom-in/zoom-out in the browser

even the webkit browser is great, but it is useless if we just always see very tiny font, or having to scroll left/right to read the full page...
    the Automatic Font Size Adjustment works pretty well. Most sites render as full web pages, but there are some that still show up as Mobile versions, and you just have to 'view full site' or whatever and it will take full advantage of the webkit browser. the adjustment of the fonts is pretty cool though, the only downside is when some pages have images that are placed weirdly, like in a news story or something, and you sort of have to use the trackpad to follow the text when it is interrupted by a picture.
    Sean

Twitter: @SeanKelleher
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,930 Global Posts
    PIN
    2BD8C4F9

How exactly does Automatic Font Size Adjustment work? Universal Search on the device doesn't find it. When I go to full web sites, there's no automatic adjustment of font size.

Ubizmo

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2BD01FD1

The name of the feature might be a little misleading, as full versions of sites aren't automatically adjusted--you have to be looking at the article and use the trackpad and hover over text with the magnifying glass and click...and then the font is adjusted so it fits your screen, and you scroll down and read without having to strain your eyes. It's sort of like a gloried zooming feature to me, but I'll take any features I can get!

CrackBerry Genius

Pinch to zoom or double tapping the screen magnifies and wraps the text on web pages. Love OS6 webkit
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10 > PassPort

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    CrackBerry Genius

LOL disregard my other post. Just realized I was in the 9780 forum not the 9800 forum. Pinch to zoom wont work on a non touch device.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10 > PassPort

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,930 Global Posts
    PIN
    2BD8C4F9

Indeed, pinching and tapping don't get me very far on the 9780. At any rate, I do understand that on a normal web site, clicking once will usually zoom in so the text fits across the screen. For the most part, however, that text is pretty darn small. On a large-screen device, held in landscape orientation, this would probably be all you need. But for my 57 year-old eyes, on the Bold screen, it's not enough. Column View had the advantage of re-flowing the text, at a size designated by me, to fill the screen. And that's what I can't do anymore.

I know I'm not the only geezer in the joint!

Ubizmo
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Hoegarrden PLEASE!!!

I like the review. I am coming from a 9700 as well and thought it couldnt be better... WOW is right!
    9780/.600
    PlayBook 16GB

"Lead others, Follow only your DREAMS!"
    -M.Washington
    CrackBerry Abuser

Great review, and completely agreed!

As for cases - if you are wanting something that will add NO BULK AT ALL but only offer minimum protection I would suggest an Incipio Feather case, it really adds no bulk at all, and with a screen protector on my phone, its one of my favorites.

A hard case, that covers the entire phone for me was hard to find, I am extremely picky about what cases are good, and feel good in the hand, the pocket, and also fit around the phone tightly. I dont like any hard cases that snap on and are in two parts (front and back). I finally found the pt (Platinum Series) hard case for the 9700, perfect case, covers the entire phone, feels great, and adds almost no bulk.

Enjoy the phone!
    CrackBerry User

I finally got mine today, in white. I had to wait so long for TMO to send it to me, having sent the wrong color, and then making me wait for the backordered phones to come in. Gah. It's pretty sexy, but I still want a Torch, or better yet, a Torch-esque 9780. That would be hot.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Thanks for the replies/feedback guys! I ended up snagging an Otterbox commuter case for the 9700 on eBay, really cheap too
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast