Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question 9780 vs 9790..which one to buy?

Hello all,

I am planning to get a secondary phone for my second SIM and BBMing.

I really like the 9780 in terms of feel and form factor; the keyboard also appears better. It is more "bold" than its 9790 predecessor. I also don't think touchscreen will be a huge game changer for me since I feel the screen is too small for touch anyway. I know the specs of the 9780 vs 9790 through-and-through but I'm really more interested in the perspective of users who have had both. Which one have you liked better? For BBM and very light browsing will the OS6 vs OS7.1 make a huge difference? Are there major apps on App World that are not supported on the OS6? Does the ~200MB less RAM make a difference in regular usage: BBM, email, light browsing?

I am at loss for which one to go for so your views are very much appreciated!
    Last edited by dbboeder; 12-17-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Here's what I know from using the OS. I have never used either devices, but I can tell you that almost all apps can be used from os 5 up to os 7.1. They are compatible in that sense. 200 mb just means that you won't be able to run a lot of background programs at the same time, but if it's "light" as you say, it should be fine. 7.1 is obviously snappier by far, but is it make and break? It's honestly up to you. BBM experience should be the same. Browsing and email I would assume would be more of an internet issue. 6.0 isn't too slow on internet, but 7.1 is obviously faster because of the chipset
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9B567

As the person above me stated, OS 7.1 is snappier, and definitely better for web-browsing. It browses the web significantly better than the 9780 and the touch screen just makes it a lot more comfortable to navigate (in the web browser)

I've personally never owned any of these devices but whenever I've asked someone which BlackBerry had the best battery life for them, they always went for the 9780 and I personally know a large amount of people that were satisfied with the device. It's physically nice and durable, sexy, gives a professional look and undoubtedly looks more "bold" than the 9790. Not sure if that matters to you but it certainly matters to me.

The keyboard, in my opinion, is better on the 9780 and I prefer the lock button at the top left instead of the centre. The "blackness" of the 9780 gives it a slicker look. It feels heavier, feeling more "solid" and important, if you get me? :s If I were you I'd go for the 9780, as battery life matters to me A LOT. If you require something that can browse the web well, then go for the 9790. Battery shouldn't be a problem with the 9780 and for stuff like BBM, texting, calling, Facebook, the device is a charm.

Downside, it's a little slow, but the interface is beautiful and in my opinion OS 6 icons look better than OS 7 ones, however the lack of customisation of panels is really annoying. What's the point of frequent and favourites? I actually don't see the point in them. Anyways, enough of the rant, the 9780 should also be a little less expensive than the 9790. You won't, however, get wifi hotspot on the 9780 (not sure if that matters to you or not)

If you need a solid, professional, "bold" device that represents class, is sturdy, gets you through a day of intensive use (in terms of messaging) go for the 9780.

If you need a newer, shiny device that's quicker, has more features, has a touch screen, but will probably not be as sturdy or have the same elegance, class or battery life, go for the 9790.

Sorry for the biased reply, but yeah, you posted a thread and this is my opinion ^_^
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate you taking the time to share your views! Cheers!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,203 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by dbboeder View Post
    but I'm really more interested in the perspective of users who have had both. Which one have you liked better? For BBM and very light browsing will the OS6 vs OS7.1 make a huge difference? Are there major apps on App World that are not supported on the OS6? Does the ~200MB less RAM make a difference in regular usage: BBM, email, light browsing?
    As an owner of both these phones (and a zillion others ), I can say the following things. As others have said all over this forum, the battery life on the 9780 is second to none (at least none of the OS 7.x phones). I also find that I can use the phone all day every day and still have power for about 3 days before I need to think about charging it, whereas the 9790 loses its battery power in a day (of mild use). I believe it to be the power that all the new hi-res touchscreens demand. So YMMV, depending on how much you use the screen.

I find both keyboards similar, and I must say I make more mistakes on these two phones than I do on the 9900. I have medium size hands and fingers so it can be a little tough sometimes, but it's definitely manageable.

Finally, yes there are differences in the apps that are available for OS6 vs. OS7. It really depends on what you're looking for specifically, but the major ones are all available for both phones (e.g. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and a slew of others).

The bottom line is always you have to hold the phones in your hand and you will know right away which one you prefer. Either way you go, you're getting a great device. Oh, also, the speakerphone and call quality on both phones are amazing.

Good luck.