Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By raino
  • 1 Post By andy957
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9780 randomly restarting itself

Hi CB Forums, I'm a regular lurker here but never needed to register before now.

My 9780 has started to randomly restart itself, been for roughly a week since I updated it (running on 6.0.0.294 (905)). Has anyone else got/had this problem and any idea what I can do to sort it? I've never tried installing an unofficial OS release so wouldn't know where to start with that, but any tips and suggestions are welcome,

Cheers
    CrackBerry User

Perhaps try an official release since you are running an old version. .480 is good, search the forum for an official link or select, latest is 534 but I experienced battery drain with it.

Once you download and install it, head to Program Files\Common Files\Research in motion\App Loader\delete vendor.xml file

On 64 bit windows it will be located at Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research in motion\App Loader\

Run the loader from that location or use the Blackberry Desktop software. Just remember to do a backup so that you can restore contacts, messages and settings afterwards. Use sync to backup cal data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    j-dogg_69 (05-07-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks mate, I'll give it a bash when I get home and have my data cable to hand. Will let you know how it goes
    CrackBerry User

Well good luck, you shouldn't have any problems, if something goes wrong, don't panic, there will certainly be a fix.

Thanked by:
    j-dogg_69 (05-08-2011) 
    CrackBerry Master

You want to use Desktop Manager's backup function, but keep in mind that it only backs up data, it doesn't backup any themes or applications that you may have installed. I use BBSAK to back up apps. Its easy to use.
    Once you've backed everything up and before you install the new OS, its a good idea to wipe your device. There are two wipes you can do. First, use universal search to find "wipe" in the security options. Check off both data and apps and your device returns to base system. This takes a bit of time, so be patient. Then use bbsak's wipe function to totally wipe everything off your device. This makes sure that if there's something on it which is causing you problems, its gone and you start from a totally clean slate.

Thanked by:
    j-dogg_69 (05-08-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

How long roughly should the security wipe take? It's current;y been going on well over an hour and I could really do with getting some shut eye!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg_69 View Post
    Hi CB Forums, I'm a regular lurker here but never needed to register before now.

My 9780 has started to randomly restart itself, been for roughly a week since I updated it (running on 6.0.0.294 (905)). Has anyone else got/had this problem and any idea what I can do to sort it? I've never tried installing an unofficial OS release so wouldn't know where to start with that, but any tips and suggestions are welcome,

Cheers
    I had the same problem with my 9700 on os6 it ended up being my sd card and not the os. Try pulling your card first before going through an os change.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg_69 View Post
    How long roughly should the security wipe take? It's current;y been going on well over an hour and I could really do with getting some shut eye!
    I don't recall one less than 30 minutes. I think an hour is possible.

Thanked by:
    j-dogg_69 (05-08-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Just to update you guys, left it overnight to wipe, and installed the updated OS this morning. All seems to be working fine and I'm liking the tweaks made in the updated version. Thanks for all your help!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

Default Re: 9780 randomly restarting itself

Just happened to me. No upgrades to OS and no new or updates to apps recently. Was sitting at my desk minding my own business when I looked up at the phone and saw the Rogers splash screen that appears after a reboot. This hasn't happened before, well at least not when I've noticed it but I see a bunch of threads on CB forums that indicate I'm not alone. Has anyone found out the root cause? I am wondering if there is some kind of internal log that is written to the device's memory that could be used for troubleshooting purposes.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,499 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andy957 View Post
    I am wondering if there is some kind of internal log that is written to the device's memory that could be used for troubleshooting purposes.
    Alt-LGLG

It would help if you knew the approximate time of the crash.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    Thanked by:
    andy957 (10-10-2012) 
    andy957 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

@raino, thanks for that helpful tip. I just looked at the log but I will have to figure out at precisely what time it happened and then look more carefully through the entries to see if the culprit is evident.

Appreciate the tip.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

I think I *may* have found some indication of what could potentially be the issue here, but I'm not certain. Rogers has this really annoying habit (well, so does Bell for that matter) of pushing out apps for their phones for things like Rogers Shopping, Rogers AnywhereTV, Rogers My Account. I always delete (if I can) or hide them but they always have a way of being pushed back to my phone by Rogers. I think this is what happened and the phone probably assumed they were updates (icons were hidden, so I don't know) and as always, rebooted.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    25F7DE10

try the 6.0.666 , u wouldnt face a prob hopefully
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

I'm using .666, actually. Another interesting thing, and perhaps it's just my (old ) eyes but the icons in App World are greenish ever since the phone rebooted on its own. I think it may be time to upgrade this one to a 9790. LOL
    patel7 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask me!

the icons are greenish for me too.. don't fear.. i don't think it's a time to switch!! chill.. wait till bb10 comes.... and then if you want you can def switch....
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    25F7DE10

just hang in there guys ! just a couple of months , we get the best bb then ! and dont care much about the icons hahaha till ur phones working smooth , if u want delete app world and reinstall , might solve the problem
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

@patel7, it's not a problem, it was a comment re: 'greenish' icons.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    25F7DE10

@andy : sorry , i just overlooked
    8300 / 8900 / 9000 / 9780 / 9700