I still use the AT&T Zen Precision theme that came with my phone. I obviously have since changed the wallpaper, but other than that, I'm scared to install a real theme because I've heard so many bad things about them. From being memory hogs to just plain not working, I don't want to shell out $5 for something that isn't going to work.

Do any of you BB Vets have any suggestions for a lowly newb like me?
    01-05-10 02:02 PM
    Joe, there are so many great free themes on this site alone. What I like about them is the added functionality that most of them offer. Space bar access to Quicklaunch alone would be a reason to try one.
    Agreed a lot of the paid themes are really not worth it. If you can get and try a theme for free, and if it's not for you, delete it, I don't see a problem.
    Come on in.
    01-05-10 02:07 PM
    Agreed, free themes are the best ones out there...
    01-05-10 02:11 PM
    I have several free Curve themes, none of them have created any real issues, and feedback has helped the creators improve the minor glitches (2) that did arise.

Besides, the themes are pretty sweet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 02:11 PM
    The newer devices, like your 9700 have enough memory so themes don't make a much of a dent. I suggest trying some of the more popular ones out, not only for a fresh aesthetic to something you look at every five minutes, but many of them add convenient functions that the default zen themes don't. Definitely worth it as far as I'm concerned. My favorites are Reverie HT, 9700 U Hide, and now Reverie D, all of which are free in this forum.

01-05-10 03:10 PM
    I've only ever bought one theme and that was for the 9000, ended up so full of features!! That it made it in operable.

Their are loads of free themes for the 9700 now that you really don't need to pay and some of the quality work that these guys turn out for no payment can only really be rewarded with a kind comment.

Just got one tonight with the spacebar shortcut to quicklaunch which has given me back a sidekey. Also the home screen showing the calendar and or messages is very handy if you forget to check your apointments like me.

I did get the odd problem in the 9000 days with themes hogging memory but I've installed several on the 9700 and removed the odd one to and so far no problem at all, worst thing is sometimes having to reboot after a deletion, just make sure you change away from a theme before you delete it ie don't delete your current theme.

Have some fun, check them out instakl the top ones that u like then play with them for a couple weeks at the end of it delete a couple you have now gone off and either stick with one or rotate between a few.

The standard screen is nice but **** live a little and try some better ones, you wull love it.

01-05-10 03:32 PM
    Wow! Great replies everyone! I'm definitely going to try a ton of the ones suggested on here when I get home and even look around for some that I may like myself.

I just downloaded QuickLaunch the other day and I live by it. My main gripe is losing one of my side keys, but with what you guys are telling me about Spacebar QuickLaunch, I'm real excited to get it back!

I'm going to live a little, Tinyk... Scratch that...

I'm gonna live A LOT!
    01-05-10 03:41 PM
    Over the past couple of weeks I must have installed & uninstalled 10-12 themes. Some look better on screen shots than on the phone. So far my favorite is the red version of http://forums.crackberry.com/f176/bl...natemz-388819/

The only change I made was the wallpaper.

Try different ones. You like it.

01-05-10 04:39 PM
    I find a lot of themes are not user friendly and do slow things down.. i always end up going back to a stock theme.
    01-06-10 04:34 AM
    Some themes do slow things down. Those are the ones you delete. Natemz's theme mentioned above is very fast and is my current fav.

01-06-10 08:22 AM
    i use Natemz's FREE BBAmpd theme and i love it! No lag, and the icons and color are perfect for me. i like the way it looks! i was hating the stock Tour themes (all 2 of them, which were identical).

01-06-10 08:25 AM
    I constantly switch themes (daily) because I get bored with them

agree with severe deceit - there are many excellent free themes out there and I've probably tried them all
    01-06-10 08:33 AM
    Agreed, free themes are the best ones out there...
    +1

Back before I learned how to make them, it was tough trying to find really good free ones. Now there are soo many! Dagobah's reverie is one of my faves, as well as kscrums CT minimalist. I promised myself when I learned, they would always be free. Don't get me wrong, I've paid for a few themes myself. One of the best $5 I spent was a theme called "Luny." Very unique with custom icons, meters, the works!

In the grand scheme of things, it's really just a theme, an interface to make it pretty. With the economy the way it is, I find that every $$ counts. So save your money, downlpoad an awesome free theme and just change up the wallpaper!

01-06-10 08:55 AM
    I have bought a few themes in my BlackBerry life, but agree that there are plenty of great free themes and some awful themes that people charge you for, if you look around you will see plenty, i have just purchased a theme as i couldn't resist, and they have to be very good to buy, it's usually the different style icons that tempt me
    p.s have never had problems with themes...go ahead, enjoy!
    01-09-10 10:33 AM
    Hey im pretty new to the BB community myslef and up unitl yesterday i never downlaoded any themes. Trust me on this but they are worth it. I love the different styles and things they have. And like others have said there is alot of free themes to use. And they work perfectly.
    02-01-10 05:48 PM
    There are definitely a lot of themes that will bog down your device or that you may just not like at all. The good thing is that you can uninstall them faster than you can install them. I've downloaded hundreds of themes and the only ones that are still on my 9700 are Section 8, Stormy X (Both FREE), Eminence, and Finesse (Both Paid). I have each theme on there for different reasons as each has certain features that stand out that I enjoy. My favorite all time has to be Section 8 by Nite Walker though. It is just simply AMAZING. He paid very close attention to detail and the transparent style menu pop ups look phenomenal!
    Bottom line: Try 'em out and if you don't like one, DELETE it. No harm done. Enjoy!
    02-01-10 08:09 PM
    Wow! Great replies everyone! I'm definitely going to try a ton of the ones suggested on here when I get home and even look around for some that I may like myself.

I just downloaded QuickLaunch the other day and I live by it. My main gripe is losing one of my side keys, but with what you guys are telling me about Spacebar QuickLaunch, I'm real excited to get it back!

I'm going to live a little, Tinyk... Scratch that...

I'm gonna live A LOT!

Dont forget to take the battery out after you activate a theme. So far my favorite theme hands down is the Gnone Theme for the 9700. Its a take on the Nexus One and plus its FREEEEEE!!!
    02-08-10 10:47 PM
    Don't do it...!!! Don't download themes! Once you start, you're going to get addicted and you can't stop!! =P
    02-09-10 11:31 AM
    my daughter had 58 themes on her 8900 woot.
    02-10-10 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD