Hey everyone.,.

Anyway i was wondering if there are some good and free palm pre themes for the bold 9700, i found one really nice one but its payed
    06-12-10 10:51 AM
    You tend to get what you pay for with themes. Most other things too. Free is usually worth just what you pay for it. Nothing.

Theme programming takes a LOT of time to learn and the good theme writers have made a huge investment in time to learn their skills.

It makes sense that they charge for their products. They have bills to pay and they have self-respect.

Errors in .svg theme files can slow down your phone or stop it altogether.

Buy a theme, get a good one, get support.
    06-12-10 11:35 AM
    You tend to get what you pay for with themes. Most other things too. Free is usually worth just what you pay for it. Nothing
    i highly disagree. There are lots of theme makers who produce great themes and for free... they are more efficient, well made and much better than some payed ones and for free.

A bit disappointing to see comments like these from a seasoned member.
    06-12-10 12:27 PM
    i highly disagree. There are lots of theme makers who produce great themes and for free... they are more efficient, well made and much better than some payed ones and for free.

A bit disappointing to see comments like these from a seasoned member.
    My experience has been the exact opposite of what you say. That is why I wrote what I did.

Taking a simple theme with no custom .svg file, I agree with you but when you are doing heavy editing of these files a huge amount of knowledge and experience is required.

Likewize when custom icons are needed a lot of work goes into learning how to make these and indeed actually making them.

I do not expect to work for nothing and I do not expect others to do so either. So when a programmer and theme writer has spent a great deal of time learning theor trade, financial renumeration is reasonable. This is especially true if this is their living.

The above is a general rule and there are always exceptions. I have bought Premium themes that I thought were not worth the money and I have had a coule of free themes that I thought were very good. This, however is personal.

I still maintain that you are likely to get a better theme - especially since the OP wants a Palm Pre look alike theme i.e. quite complex - if you buy one from an experienced programmer and theme writer.

We must therefore agree to differ on this point.
    06-12-10 01:20 PM
    My experience has been the exact opposite of what you say. That is why I wrote what I did.

Taking a simple theme with no custom .svg file, I agree with you but when you are doing heavy editing of these files a huge amount of knowledge and experience is required.

Likewize when custom icons are needed a lot of work goes into learning how to make these and indeed actually making them.

I do not expect to work for nothing and I do not expect others to do so either. So when a programmer and theme writer has spent a great deal of time learning theor trade, financial renumeration is reasonable. This is especially true if this is their living.

The above is a general rule and there are always exceptions. I have bought Premium themes that I thought were not worth the money and I have had a coule of free themes that I thought were very good. This, however is personal.

I still maintain that you are likely to get a better theme - especially since the OP wants a Palm Pre look alike theme i.e. quite complex - if you buy one from an experienced programmer and theme writer.

We must therefore agree to differ on this point.
    Well you must have not used very many themes then... myself and few others have made anywhere from custom svg custom icons to lots of shortcuts that have been stolen/mimicked by the so called "theme professionals" because they sell theirs.

NO only that but i have yet to see a single custom theme that has a small footprint with good feature set.

Likelihood of good programmers who have grasp of photoshop and programing basics who will spend hours to make a theme and charge a few bucks for it is hardly worth it. If you think a programmer/designer is worth a buck or two an hour then sure...otherwise this is no full time job for any.

Most free themes are from people who have made something for themselves and then offer it up for free, some of these take a step ahead and offer customizations and versions all for free.

There are themes at the pay level that are good but most are just junk and stolen ideas features from many great free themes.

I guess its fair and i agree with you that we will have to agree to disagree with our grasp of free themes and enthusiasts who create them whether they charge for it or not.
    06-12-10 02:34 PM
    Yeah, that's fair enough.
    06-12-10 03:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD