Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,499 Global Posts
    PIN
    33257ED2
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will the Tour 2 do better then the 9700?

Hey crackberry buddies, im not trolling here just wanting some input from you guys.

In light of the Bold 9700 being released do you think the tour 2 will do better with it being on a better network in terms of service stability then the Blackberry Bold 9700 being on a spotty AT&T, and a still growing T-Mobile?

(please dont say well at&t is great or T-mobile in your specific location TALKING BIG PICTURE!!!!)
    Words of Reason sent from my Nexus
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    NOT4U2NO

If coverage is the issue then go with the Tour 2. It will be a great phone and will be the Blackberry flagship for both Sprint and Verizon. From what I have been reading about the Tour 2 it will be very similar to the 9700. I'm on ATT and there are coverage issues but fortunately I have great coverage in the areas I spend most of my time in. Choices my friend...
    Jimmy

Everything you believed is a lie...
    Pearl>Curve 8330>Storm 2>Tour>Bold 9700>HTC Hero
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,499 Global Posts
    PIN
    33257ED2
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

See we have been reading the samething then. From what i have gathered so far is that the Bold 9700 and Tour 2 will be very similar, i mean style wise i would say the Bold 9700 looks better and the processor will remain faster. But there two features alone in my own personal opinion dont override the dependability that verizon has been offering over the other carriers in the past year. So to see the Tour 2 do better wouldnt shock me at all
  4. GG1
    CrackBerry Genius

As the phone itself, it will not be better but it will definately be just as good. Choosing which carrier will give you better service/coverage will make much more of a difference than which phone to get between the 2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    PIN
    215c2165

Actually, the Tour2 will be the EXACT same as the Tour1 with only two exceptions of having Wi-Fi and trackpad.

Since I have a Tour1 with Sprint, I'll tell you why I chose to leave the Tour1 and went with the Bold2 on T-Mobile.

-Tour1 has a shoddy signal (even when stationary) so aside from sporadic amounts of coverage at random times you also have lots of dropped calls and data time-outs.
    -Tour1 has a smaller battery (about half of size of the Bold2's battery) so battery-life will STILL be horrible
    -The speaker will still be too low/soft and you'll hardly be able to hear it unless in silence or near silence (it's placed awkwardly on the LEFT side of the phone)
    -The charging/USB port is still located on the RIGHT side of the device directly on the side of the keyboard (it's a HASSLE at the least to try to type on the phone while it's charging) I dunno whose idea it was to place the charging/usb port there but they should be dealt with appropriately
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    542 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChekMySwag84 View Post
    Actually, the Tour2 will be the EXACT same as the Tour1 with only two exceptions of having Wi-Fi and trackpad.
    Exactly the same!
    Who but me?!
    --HeavyC.
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    20,324 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

I would check coverage in your area and any areas where you travel.
    I'm on AT&T and I have yet to have a problem with coverage - my Mum is down in extreme Southeast Florida and she has no issues with signal. My sister is in Seattle and she has no problem, my mother in law is in Annapolis and she is covered. I have these people on my data plan. ***Edit -forgot my husband. He is on the same data plan and he works in DC as well.

As far as my experiences are concerned, I have never had a problem with AT&T anywhere in the continental U.S. The only place I used to not have data coverage was the DC metro.

So....it boils down to coverage in your area. You can purchase a phone and if it doesn't suit your needs you can return it. Only you can determine whether the areas you visit are covered.

Please don't let opinions and commercials decide for you as to what you need. Try the devices yourself and if they don't suit you take them back during the grace period.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 01-02-2010 at 09:33 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by CrackberryBrandon View Post
    See we have been reading the samething then. From what i have gathered so far is that the Bold 9700 and Tour 2 will be very similar, i mean style wise i would say the Bold 9700 looks better and the processor will remain faster. But there two features alone in my own personal opinion dont override the dependability that verizon has been offering over the other carriers in the past year. So to see the Tour 2 do better wouldnt shock me at all
    Nice VZW commercial.
    LMFAO "big picture" huh?
    I'm curious really....... Does it make you VZW subscribers feel good about yourselves? Grow a few inches? What is it ? Why does EVERY discussion involving a CDMA BB and a GSM BB end up being some VZW fanboy worshipfest?
    Its like an episode of stepford wives with the same prerecorded BS
    And its always the same nonsense when a new CDMA BB is released...... Let's do some verbal gymnastics to make it (storm storm2 tour tour2) on par with the 9000 and now 9700 processor speed determines the king of the hill since features across the BB platform are almost identical in the newer devices (WiFi trackpad 5.0 OS). The 9700 looks like the undisputed to me
    Last edited by giantfan30; 01-02-2010 at 09:42 AM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Indeed, more likely then not the Tour 2 will be pretty much the same as Tour 1 except wifi and maybe a small difference in the way the buttons feel (hopefully they will make it easier to fix trackball issues too though). The reason I say this is that's how RIM worked the Storm 2 release. They put the new operating system out to be downloaded within a few days of the Storm 2's release.

The Tour 2 will probably be better then the Tour 1 is right now, but shortly after it is released I believe we can expect them to be pretty close to the same thing.

As for battery life, I've never heard of any issues with a short battery life on the Tour. In fact, I would expect the main reason they did make it smaller is because it doesn't seem to be a common issue.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    PIN
    215c2165

Quote Originally Posted by giantfan30 View Post
    Nice VZW commercial.
    LMFAO "big picture" huh?
    I'm curious really....... Does it make you VZW subscribers feel good about yourselves? Grow a few inches? What is it ? Why does EVERY discussion involving a CDMA BB and a GSM BB end up being some VZW fanboy worshipfest?
    And its always the same nonsense when a new CDMA BB is released...... Let's do some verbal gymnastics to make it (storm storm2 tour tour2) on par with the 9000 and now 9700 processor speed determines the king of the hill since features across the BB platform are almost identical in the newer devices (WiFi trackpad 5.0 OS). The 9700 looks like the undisputed to me
    Ever notice how the CDMA BlackBerry phones are always playing "catch up" to the GSM BlackBerry phones? I rest my case, lol
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,499 Global Posts
    PIN
    33257ED2
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by giantfan30 View Post
    Nice VZW commercial.
    LMFAO "big picture" huh?
    lol didnt mean to hurt any feelings, but if you check my device you will see, im using the 9700, and its not unlocked. so im either a t-mobile customer or AT&T customer, and im not angry with my service. just putting that out there so i dont get attacked again lol.

Now i do know the Tour 2 will be pretty much identical as a few of you have pointed out as the Tour 1. But it will be a little faster since it will have the same processor as the Storm 2. i would think a bit faster phone with Wifi and of course being on verizon would draw in a bit of a bigger crowd then the Bold 9700 but i could be wrong just a thought thats all.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 01-02-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,676 Global Posts
    PIN
    HEAD - Don't be one

Since I have a Tour1 with Sprint...

-Tour1 has a shoddy signal (even when stationary) so aside from sporadic amounts of coverage at random times you also have lots of dropped calls and data time-outs.
    -Tour1 has a smaller battery (about half of size of the Bold2's battery) so battery-life will STILL be horrible
    -The speaker will still be too low/soft and you'll hardly be able to hear it unless in silence or near silence (it's placed awkwardly on the LEFT side of the phone)
    -The charging/USB port is still located on the RIGHT side of the device...
    Shoddy signal - perhaps with Sprint, but my VZW Tour drives with me through 48 states, and I rarely drop a call. I have -80 dBm IXEV more often than not. As you correctly stated, this is a Sprint issue, not a Tour issue.

Horrible battery life - Not in my experience. My battery lasts all day with heavy use

Quiet speaker - my speaker is so loud I have to turn it down so it doesn't hurt my ears

USB port poorly located - I do agree with you here!

To the OP. I could care less about wifi as I would never use it even if my Tour had it, and I prefer the trackball over the trackpad anyhow. I consider myself fortunate to have gotten the Tour 1 while it is still available. Perhaps the bugs have been worked out since my build date is 101009.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,499 Global Posts
    PIN
    33257ED2
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by TravellingFool View Post
    Shoddy signal - perhaps with Sprint, but my VZW Tour drives with me through 48 states, and I rarely drop a call. I have -80 dBm IXEV more often than not. As you correctly stated, this is a Sprint issue, not a Tour issue.

Horrible battery life - Not in my experience. My battery lasts all day with heavy use

Quiet speaker - my speaker is so loud I have to turn it down so it doesn't hurt my ears

USB port poorly located - I do agree with you here!

To the OP. I could care less about wifi as I would never use it even if my Tour had it, and I prefer the trackball over the trackpad anyhow. I consider myself fortunate to have gotten the Tour 1 while it is still available. Perhaps the bugs have been worked out since my build date is 101009.

yea im sure your build was one of the more stable Tour 1's that have been released being that it was in the later part of the year. I also am one of the few people who still like the trackball, (my workphone is an 8830 WE) but the trackpad is a great addition to the new blackberries as well no denying that. i can see why your keeping your Tour though, but to some like myself Wifi is a must on devices i won't purchase a device with my own money unless it has Wifi.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    PIN
    215c2165

I'm not talking about the actual earpiece in the phone, that's fine. I was talking more along the lines of the SPEAKER of the phone (the one used for ringtones and speakerphone)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,676 Global Posts
    PIN
    HEAD - Don't be one

yea im sure your build was one of the more stable Tour 1's that have been released being that it was in the later part of the year. I also am one of the few people who still like the trackball, (my workphone is an 8830 WE) but the trackpad is a great addition to the new blackberries as well no denying that. i can see why your keeping your Tour though, but to some like myself Wifi is a must on devices i won't purchase a device with my own money unless it has Wifi.
    Ahh, I see. Well, in that case, IMO, and yours too, since you spoke of a "better network" , and since the 2 devices are so similar, I'd hold out for the Tour 2 so that you can enjoy the best of both worlds; awesome phone plus a vastly superior network. (Wincing: here come the flames). Oh well, truth is truth even if it hurts.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,676 Global Posts
    PIN
    HEAD - Don't be one

I'm not talking about the actual earpiece in the phone, that's fine. I was talking more along the lines of the SPEAKER of the phone (the one used for ringtones and speakerphone)
    Me too. I'm talking about the built-in speaker. I use it all the time to listen to/watch sermons while driving, and it is loud enough to hear while mounted to my dashboard. If I'm parked, with no road noise, I have to turn it down because it's too loud.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,499 Global Posts
    PIN
    33257ED2
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

dang thats a good speaker lol my Bold isnt that good
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,185 Global Posts

lol didnt mean to hurt any feelings, but if you check my device you will see, im using the 9700, and its not unlocked. so im either a t-mobile customer or AT&T customer, and im not angry with my service. just putting that out there so i dont get attacked again lol.

Now i do know the Tour 2 will be pretty much identical as a few of you have pointed out as the Tour 1. But it will be a little faster since it will have the same processor as the Storm 2. i would think a bit faster phone with Wifi and of course being on verizon would draw in a bit of a bigger crowd then the Bold 9700 but i could be wrong just a thought thats all.
    The 9650 isn't going to draw in a bigger crowd than the 9700. For one the 9700 is worldwide whereas the 9650 is primarily a CDMA device which limits where it will be sold, mainly only in North America. Furthermore, most Verizon, Bell, Telus & Sprint customers will be pissed when the 9650 is released because they just purchased a 9630 then a few months after a better device is released that looks exactly the same. This will turn more customers away than it will bring it. You can take that to the bank.

The 9650 is a good device in it's own right. But outsell the 9700 is something it will not do. I will leave the network comparison issue alone because it's useless and pointless. Everyone has their own opinion.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,499 Global Posts
    PIN
    33257ED2
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    The 9650 isn't going to draw in a bigger crowd than the 9700. For one the 9700 is worldwide whereas the 9650 is primarily a CDMA device which limits where it will be sold, mainly only in North America. Furthermore, most Verizon, Bell, Telus & Sprint customers will be pissed when the 9650 is released because they just purchased a 9630 then a few months after a better device is released that looks exactly the same. This will turn more customers away than it will bring it. You can take that to the bank.

The 9650 is a good device in it's own right. But outsell the 9700 is something it will not do. I will leave the network comparison issue alone because it's useless and pointless. Everyone has their own opinion.
    dang i never even thought about that, the 9700 being a worldwide device as for the 9650 not having as much of a world wide spectrum to reach people. thats a great point. and very true on the network thing people get very touchy about that on crackberry as i have noticed.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    PIN
    215c2165

Me too. I'm talking about the built-in speaker. I use it all the time to listen to/watch sermons while driving, and it is loud enough to hear while mounted to my dashboard. If I'm parked, with no road noise, I have to turn it down because it's too loud.

All of the Tours I've had (I've had several replacements due to the trackball), the speaker was sub-par to even my old 8330 Curve. If you think the Tour's speaker is loud then you must not have heard the 9000's stereo speakers lol
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,676 Global Posts
    PIN
    HEAD - Don't be one

All of the Tours I've had (I've had several replacements due to the trackball), the speaker was sub-par to even my old 8330 Curve. If you think the Tour's speaker is loud then you must not have heard the 9000's stereo speakers lol
    No, I haven't heard the 9000's speakers. But I'm not comparing the Tour's speakers to anything, I'm simply saying that mine is loud enough to get the job done. I'm sure there are far superior speakers out there than the one that is on the Tour.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,539 Global Posts

Tours are World Phones. They have a SIM slot for GSM.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    PIN
    26E974AE

Between the two phones, it will come down to coverage. The best of ATTs coverage is better than the average Verizon coverage.

So for people in excellent ATT coverage, the Bold 9700 will do better. Everywhere else, I think Tour 2 will be a better option.
    Sajan Parikh
    Owner, Noppix LLC

I've used 7 different BlackBerrys over 7 years. Currently using the Q10. Yes, I have tried iPhone and Android for months as well, went back to BlackBerry.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    PIN
    215c2165

Quote Originally Posted by dchawk81 View Post
    Tours are World Phones. They have a SIM slot for GSM.

True but the GSM-native phones (Bold) can use 3G on any company's network around the world. On CDMA-native phones (Tour), you can pop in a SIM card and use GSM but you can't use 3G, you'll only be able to use EDGE

+1 for the Bold lol (it's all in good fun)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,676 Global Posts
    PIN
    HEAD - Don't be one

True but the GSM-native phones (Bold) can use 3G on any company's network around the world. On CDMA-native phones (Tour), you can pop in a SIM card and use GSM but you can't use 3G, you'll only be able to use EDGE

+1 for the Bold lol (it's all in good fun)
    Ahhh. This I did not know. However, since my wallet has made the clear announcement that I won't be a world traveler any time soon, that bit of information, plus $3, won't even by me a latte at Starbucks.

+1 for po folk with a Tour on VZW, lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast