Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will any router work with UMA calling on Tmobile?

Can I use any wireless router to use UMA calling on tmobile? I tried searching!
    CrackBerry User

yes in fact i have 2 different routers that i use...a D-Link and a belkin that both work perfectly with UMA calling
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks. I have an airport. uma is the most underrated feature, tmobile should put it ads out about it
  4. GJW
    CrackBerry Addict

Note that there are a number of settings that you should probably modify on your router to maximize the stability/reliability of your UMA connection. Just do a google search for "t-mobile UMA router settings"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

Sorry but being a non T-Mobile user what is UMA that I see so much talk about?
    AT&T BB Z10
    BerryWeather Pro
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,142 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pounder001 View Post
    Sorry but being a non T-Mobile user what is UMA that I see so much talk about?
    On a T-Mobile phone that has Wi-Fi and UMA the phone will actually connect straight to TMo's servers for Wi-Fi calling, it uses the WiFi signal to place the calls v. the EDGE/3G radio. So basically in large buildings, apartments, Churches, remote housing basically anywhere there is an open WiFi signal you get "land line quality" phone calls from your wireless device. And for an extra 9.99 per month those phone calls made over UMA don't subtract from your minuet pool. And some people have claimed they can call from over seas back to the states for free over UMA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

Thanks, nice feature.
    AT&T BB Z10
    BerryWeather Pro
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts

I'm in malaysia now and have been using uma to call and text just as if I was back in the states.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,324 Global Posts

+1, I have used mostly at home, and it works nicely.

Global Posts
    12,942 Global Posts

I prefer LinkSys routers... they seem to be more reliable and are much better built than any other maker... just my 2 cents on the subject.

Global Posts
    9,487 Global Posts
    PIN
    type mypin

I prefer dlink routers
    Guys/Gals when I post things I am posting to the best of my knowledge if I am for certain incorrect please correct me more knowledge to me helps. Thanks!
    http://twitter.com/sn4p2k10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    I prefer LinkSys routers... they seem to be more reliable and are much better built than any other maker... just my 2 cents on the subject.
    I have to agree
    +1
    CrackBerry Addict

i have no issue without alot of routers but will definitly suggestion as the prior person had for you to change the router settings. if you have a home router youll be using alot for uma set it up correct and your call will be alot better and your wont have issues with dropped calls or service issues. good luck
    another day another dollar, gots to have more dollars
    CrackBerry User

I do UMA with my 9700 over my Apple Airport Extreme Dual band G/N .It's supposed to work without any fuss but I've found that to be inaccurate. I had to reserve a static IP for my 9700 and make sure to forward port 4101 for both TCP and UDP to the reserved IP set to the 9700. After doing that the connection is solid with no drops or any other problems.

CrackBerry User

Default Port 4101

What does the Blackberry use port 4101 for?

Is this the same port that Blackberry Professional Software uses for interfacing with Exchange?

I'm trying to put all the pieces together.

Thanks,
    Berrynubee
    CrackBerry User

does anyone know if 02 in the uk offer this yet
  17. GJW
    CrackBerry Addict

I've never had to forward any ports in order for UMA to work. I've used a linksys with native linksys firmware as well as now running it with DD-WRT firmware (which is far more functional than the linksys firmware). I'd definitely recommend DD-WRT for anyone who wants more features and control.
    CrackBerry User

yes it is a great feature and only $10 a month for free minutes when at home? you cant beat that. But i've also heard rumors that the service will be discontinued much like they did to the myfaves plan so lets hope they don't