CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Very low signal on 9700; any fixes?

Hey,
    I posted about this problem a few weeks ago but am starting a new thread because alot has changed since then.
    In short i opened my 9700 to change the housing and must have damaged the antenna. I can't get more then like one bar. Someone suggested buying a new middle chasis from ebay which will give me a new antenna; I did this but it didn't help at all.

I have a theory that some how the bezzel has something to do with the antenna, is this possible? After taking it apart I feel like i cant get the botton left corner to re attach correctly/tighly, it just doesnt look like its fitting in right (And I think if i press down on it hard the signal goes up, but i might be wrong about this).

Any idea why my 9700 is getting such a low signal after opening it up? Any ideas on how to fix this? And finally, does the bezzel interact with the antenna in any way?

Any help would be great; if you people here cant help me then my 9700 is nothing more then a paper weight

Thanks.
    ~John
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Since you've seemingly already answered or got answers in your other threads (could have updated/bumped them), there is likely nothing else you can do now. A new device would be better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I guess in short my question is if the bezzel has anything to do with the antenna?
    Also I cant seem to get a definitive answer on where and what the entire antenna is on the 9700. I have since gotten a 9900 but I still really want to fix this phone.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1500 View Post
    I guess in short my question is if the bezzel has anything to do with the antenna?
    Also I cant seem to get a definitive answer on where and what the entire antenna is on the 9700. I have since gotten a 9900 but I still really want to fix this phone.
    The beziel has nothing to do with the antenna. It only applied to the iphone 4 before the bumper was added and later revisions were made to correct it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    L O Y 8 0 Y

Hey,
    I posted about this problem a few weeks ago but am starting a new thread because alot has changed since then.
    In short i opened my 9700 to change the housing and must have damaged the antenna. I can't get more then like one bar. Someone suggested buying a new middle chasis from ebay which will give me a new antenna; I did this but it didn't help at all.

I have a theory that some how the bezzel has something to do with the antenna, is this possible? After taking it apart I feel like i cant get the botton left corner to re attach correctly/tighly, it just doesnt look like its fitting in right (And I think if i press down on it hard the signal goes up, but i might be wrong about this).

Any idea why my 9700 is getting such a low signal after opening it up? Any ideas on how to fix this? And finally, does the bezzel interact with the antenna in any way?

Any help would be great; if you people here cant help me then my 9700 is nothing more then a paper weight

Thanks.
    ~John

theres 2 gold prongs on the mainboard that touch the middle chassis. just check to see if they are still intact and not damaged. that links up to the antenna on the chassis. if necessary carefully bend them to make them touch. give it a quick light clean while your there.

by the sounds of it you may have squashed them to the point its just barely touching the middle chassis.

hard to damage the antenna as its on the middle chassis but you can damage those prongs. i damaged it slightly. i managed to get it working and sold it off while it still worked.

bezel wont do any harm to the signal quality. using a metal back cover may weaken the signal.

try this first. put the bezel and keyboard back on when you know you have fixed the issue. saves time taking it apart to check.

let me know how you go.
    Backups: Pearl 9100 & Blackberry Bold 9650 - Barracuda Crysis Hybrid Series 615, Blackberry Storm 2 9520 5.0.0.1077, Blackberry Bold 9780 - 6.0.0.723, Blackberry Bold 9700 (Black & White) (x2) - BerryLicious VI, iPhone 3GS - 5.0.1.

Im just a crackberry addict
    CrackBerry Newbie

When I changed my case to red from sw-box.com I had no signal at all since it didnt have the same small metal piece as the OEM one. Like 0 recreption, when I changed it back it came back but its never at 100 signal these days, always 3-4 bars. I must screwed something up, but in short I think the middle part of the phone is important
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    L O Y 8 0 Y

Quote Originally Posted by saugashan1 View Post
    When I changed my case to red from sw-box.com I had no signal at all since it didnt have the same small metal piece as the OEM one. Like 0 recreption, when I changed it back it came back but its never at 100 signal these days, always 3-4 bars. I must screwed something up, but in short I think the middle part of the phone is important
    did you remove the mainboard when you changed your red case? have you got a link to the housing that you purchased?

which metal piece are you referring to? can you take a photo please? was it originally full or close to full bars of signal in that same spot before this all happened?

i have taken apart 9700s heaps of times so im quite use to what is what. i usually fix them if i can. its a hobby of mine.
    Backups: Pearl 9100 & Blackberry Bold 9650 - Barracuda Crysis Hybrid Series 615, Blackberry Storm 2 9520 5.0.0.1077, Blackberry Bold 9780 - 6.0.0.723, Blackberry Bold 9700 (Black & White) (x2) - BerryLicious VI, iPhone 3GS - 5.0.1.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by LOY80Y View Post
    theres 2 gold prongs on the mainboard that touch the middle chassis. just check to see if they are still intact and not damaged. that links up to the antenna on the chassis. if necessary carefully bend them to make them touch. give it a quick light clean while your there.

by the sounds of it you may have squashed them to the point its just barely touching the middle chassis.
    This is one of the first things i checked. i guess i should open it up and check again but i figure either it makes contact and it works or it dosn't and theres no signal, I don't see how it can cause such a weak signal.

Its funny because so many people seem to have the same problem of a low signal after opening the phone yet no one can offer a clear solution.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts

I have a problem only with WiFi. My 3G signal is strong as ever and works great, but I can be literally 4ft from y router and not have "full strength" signal.

It's frustrating, to say the least. I attribute it to the same problem that I have with my GPS not working. Though I can't solve either problem.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    L O Y 8 0 Y

This is one of the first things i checked. i guess i should open it up and check again but i figure either it makes contact and it works or it dosn't and theres no signal, I don't see how it can cause such a weak signal.

Its funny because so many people seem to have the same problem of a low signal after opening the phone yet no one can offer a clear solution.
    Well there was one instance where I snapped abit off the prongs. I didnt realise it till I had no reception. I managed to bend them high enough to touch the board and works fine. It can either be those gold prongs or the actual antenna on the mid plate. Give it a light clean with some alcohol wipes on the prongs and where it makes contact on the mainboard. If still no reception try an OS update. You never know, I've been surprised before. Only thing you could buy is the mid plate that comes with the antenna or the antenna itself. Depending where your going to buy it from.

I haven't really read alot about people having issues with reception after opening their phones on the cb forums. Unless it's from word of mouth thay people you know.

I have opened several bolds and haven't come across your issue. I just pulled one apart just now and put it back together. Works fine. I still have a few to reassemble just waiting for parts.

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    L O Y 8 0 Y

Quote Originally Posted by breakmedown View Post
    I have a problem only with WiFi. My 3G signal is strong as ever and works great, but I can be literally 4ft from y router and not have "full strength" signal.

It's frustrating, to say the least. I attribute it to the same problem that I have with my GPS not working. Though I can't solve either problem.
    Has it worked fine before? Any damage to the phone? Have you got other blackberrys that are experiencing the same problem or even other wifi devices/pcs?

What OS are you using? If you haven't tried a hybrid then I'd probably recommend you to it. It's an OS with different versions of cods to get the best out of your blackberry. I've installed it on my nephews curve 9300 and memory leak is at a minimum, GPS alot better, phone boots up quicker, etc. Check it out on the cb forums. There's people who have used them and provided feedback so you know what to expect.

CrackBerry Newbie

Default Answer to Bold antenna mystery when case opened

My Bold 9780 got wet when I dropped it in the toilet, but I retrieved it and dried it out. I then disassembled it to spray electronic cleaner to remove any latent moisture and corrosion. I reassembled it and then like others have stated, the signal was lower than before. So I started looking foe the antenna system Very little info on here or other places. I discovered in looking for parts that the 9700 series has an upper and lower antenna. The lower one( found at BlackBerry Bold 9700 Bottom Antenna - OEM #Only $3.92 + High Quality Guarantee !) is built into the middle plate but is removable and replaceable. The upper one is a stick on available at Amazon.com: Original Genuine OEM BlackBerry Bold 9700 Antenna Flex Ribbon Cable Sticker Repair Replace Replacement: Cell Phones & Accessories. Replacement is not necessary however. Both the upper and lower have silver contacts that match with little gold springy tabs on the circuit board. When someone inexperienced takes the phone apart, they invariably depress these contacts so they no longer make contact. I bent these up a little ( be careful- they are brittle) so they would make contact when the phone is reassembled. Voila - I have my bars back? You can see the little silver contact in the upper right corner of the phone and the two silver contacts in the lower right corner of the phone. Mystery solved.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: Very low signal on 9700; any fixes?

Hey,

Thanks.
    ~John
    I got a pre-owned BB 9700 and found out that it has the same signal problem. It's full housing is no longer OEM, I checked around and found out that the entire antenna located at the back of the middle piece is missing (It's shaped like a "U" or a football goal embedded at the back of the middle piece part that holds the battery). Must have been with the previous housing, the antenna actually still intact at the middle chassis, and the previous owner wasn't able to realize it because he/she might be in an area with strong reception most of the time.

Same with you, I just wanted it fixed. So,I tried to find a replacement antenna but had no luck in finding one though I got a tip from one of the stores that there are 2 types of full housing for the 9700..the one with just the plastic casing and there's the full housing with the components (3.5mm jack, memory card slot, battery contacts, etc..) in it..with the antenna. I got the one with the components and just installed it last night..My phone's already perfectly working (and looking as good as new, i may say).

Since you're asking where the entire antenna is on the 9700..you might want to check if the middle chassis you bought from ebay has the antenna attached or check your old casing if the antenna is still there and just transfer it to the new middle chassis.

Hope this helps,
    Ryan
    Last edited by moshiman; 10-10-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

blackberry 9700 bold very low signal
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Buy a Z10 or a Q10. That should fix the problem.