Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Kevlarr's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Using blackberry overseas

    I'll be going overseas soon and planning to take my blackberry with me. I'm concerned with high data and roaming charges while using my blackberry overseas. My blackberry plan is a corporate line given by my company, and I don't want to use my corporate line (with blackberry plan) on my personal overseas trip. My plan is to buy a pre-paid SIM card at the visiting country to use over there.

    So if I remove my SIM card and use a pre-paid SIM card of that visiting country (with only 3G, but no blackberry/BIS plan), my questions are:

    1. How do I DISABLE my push email (i.e. my office email) so that my office work does not bother me when I am on my holidays? If I switch SIM card with one that does not have BIS, that means my email does not work, right? So no need to disable anything?

    2. I also have my personal yahoo email setup as push email on my blackberry. While overseas, is there a way I can disable my office push email, but have my yahoo email pushed to my blackberry using wifi?

    3. How do I DISABLE my BBM so that all bbm contacts (especially my staff and my boss) can't bother me when I am on my trip?

    4. I still want to use the blackberry for surfing internet and using the facebook app. I can use wifi to access internet (via hotspot browser) and facebook app, right?

    5. If I buy a pre-paid card with 3G data plan at the visiting country, can I use 3G to surf internet and access facebook app?

    6. Since I will be using my blackberry overseas using a SIM card purchased at the visiting country, just want to confirm, all my phone contacts, office email settings and bbm contacts will still be there, right?

    Thanks.
  2. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,098 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #2  

    Default

    First you need to unlock your blackberry, then you can use a prepaid SIM with BIS data services. You can easily turn off data services by going into Mobile Network Options in OS 5 (options > mobile network or Manage Connections > Mobile Network options) or 6 by scrolling up, clicking the top area and clicking Mobile network options. From there, you can turn data off, but when you do that, you won't be able to use apps that require the internet, the browser won't work. There should be a local phone repair shop near you so unlocking will be a breeze, some can be $5 up to $25. Shop wisely. Also, verify with the carrier that offers prepaid service, that they have BIS plans.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    Kevlarr (10-08-2011) 
  3. Kevlarr's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    First you need to unlock your blackberry, then you can use a prepaid SIM with BIS data services. You can easily turn off data services by going into Mobile Network Options in OS 5 (options > mobile network or Manage Connections > Mobile Network options) or 6 by scrolling up, clicking the top area and clicking Mobile network options. From there, you can turn data off, but when you do that, you won't be able to use apps that require the internet, the browser won't work. There should be a local phone repair shop near you so unlocking will be a breeze, some can be $5 up to $25. Shop wisely. Also, verify with the carrier that offers prepaid service, that they have BIS plans.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    My blackberry is already unlock. If i turn off data services, my browser wont work? Even using wifi (using hotspot browser)?
  4. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,098 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlarr View Post
    My blackberry is already unlock. If i turn off data services, my browser wont work? Even using wifi (using hotspot browser)?
    That is one of the downsides when data is turned off i'm afraid.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  5. freethisberrydotcom's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,110 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Rootbrain is correct. They Data services needs to be enabled in order for wifi broswer to function.
    Thanked by:
    Kevlarr (10-08-2011) 
  6. Kevlarr's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freethisberrydotcom View Post
    Rootbrain is correct. They Data services needs to be enabled in order for wifi broswer to function.
    I see. But if I use another SIM card with a normal 3G data plan (but no blackberry BiS/BES plan), then my push email and bbm won't work, but I should be able to use wifi browser, right?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  7. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,098 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlarr View Post
    I see. But if I use another SIM card with a normal 3G data plan (but no blackberry BiS/BES plan), then my push email and bbm won't work, but I should be able to use wifi browser, right?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes and no, you'll need the wifi servicebooks only BIS can provide, unless you're running OS 5, you can use the HotSpot browser.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  8. Culex316's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,171 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Although the new BIS rollout will change this...whenever you switch SIM cards on a Blackberry, all of your service books get erased by default so you won't have access to BIS/e-mail over wi-fi if you insert a prepaid SIM from abroad (unless it offers prepaid BIS service, in which case you will)
    Thanked by:
    Kevlarr (10-08-2011) 
  9. PiotrJot's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    939 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Just to add a little bit here:
    If you don't have the BIS data plan on the prepaid SIM card you get abroad, you have no access to
    1) push emails,
    2) BBM,
    3) internet over blackberry APN

    You won't be able to use the above mentioned services either through WiFi, as the service books will be missing.

    You would be able however to use the BB browser as WAP browser. You would get charged for the data usage, depending on the carrier. You will need to get the proper APN settings from the carrier. This way you would be able to log into your Yahoo email using the browser (I know, it sucks comparing to push email )

    Hope you have a nice trip :-)
    Last edited by PiotrJot; 10-06-2011 at 02:05 AM.
    Thanked by 2:
    Kevlarr (10-08-2011),  simcell (11-26-2012) 
  10. Kevlarr's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    Yes and no, you'll need the wifi servicebooks only BIS can provide, unless you're running OS 5, you can use the HotSpot browser.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm using OS5, so I would be able to use wifi to access internet using the hotspot browser. Lucky I didn't upgrade to OS6 yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Culex316 View Post
    Although the new BIS rollout will change this...whenever you switch SIM cards on a Blackberry, all of your service books get erased by default so you won't have access to BIS/e-mail over wi-fi if you insert a prepaid SIM from abroad (unless it offers prepaid BIS service, in which case you will)
    So once I switch SIM card (with no BIS plan), there is no need for me to disable my push emails and bbm, because all my service books will be erased right? I wont have access my emails anyway. So no need to disabling data services then? I'm afraid of getting charged with roaming (even with push emails not available).

    Another thing, that would mean when I get back home and I want to switch and use my blackberry SIM again, I would have to create the service books again (and re-configure everything again)? Is there a way I can backup all my settings and service books, so that when I get back home I can just "restore" the settings, insert my old SIM card can go back to normal?


    Quote Originally Posted by PiotrJot View Post
    Just to add a little bit here:

    You would be able however to use the BB browser as WAP browser. You would get charged for the data usage, depending on the carrier. You will need to get the proper APN settings from the carrier. This way you would be able to log into your Yahoo email using the browser (I know, it sucks comparing to push email )

    Hope you have a nice trip :-)
    I'm planning to get a pre-paid SIM card with basic 3G data plan. That should allow me to access the internet via wap. Agree that it sucks compare to push email.
  11. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,098 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlarr View Post
    I'm using OS5, so I would be able to use wifi to access internet using the hotspot browser. Lucky I didn't upgrade to OS6 yet.



    So once I switch SIM card (with no BIS plan), there is no need for me to disable my push emails and bbm, because all my service books will be erased right? I wont have access my emails anyway. So no need to disabling data services then? I'm afraid of getting charged with roaming (even with push emails not available).

    Another thing, that would mean when I get back home and I want to switch and use my blackberry SIM again, I would have to create the service books again (and re-configure everything again)? Is there a way I can backup all my settings and service books, so that when I get back home I can just "restore" the settings, insert my old SIM card can go back to normal?




    I'm planning to get a pre-paid SIM card with basic 3G data plan. That should allow me to access the internet via wap. Agree that it sucks compare to push email.
    Using a third party sim card won't charge you any roaming fees. All you need to do once arriving home, is remove the old sim, insert the new sim, all of your current carrier's servicebooks will be restored upon when it boots up, along with any e-mail coming in, you will get floods of them. Disabling data services on the prepaid sim will also prevent youi from using the WAP/hotspot browser.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    Kevlarr (10-08-2011) 
  12. Kevlarr's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    If I use a SIM card with a normal 3G data plan (purchased at the visiting country), and I enable data services, I can use the blackberry facebook app, right?
  13. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,098 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlarr View Post
    If I use a SIM card with a normal 3G data plan (purchased at the visiting country), and I enable data services, I can use the blackberry facebook app, right?
    Yes, you should be able to. Same with appworld, if it's supported.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  14. PiotrJot's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    939 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    Yes, you should be able to. Same with appworld, if it's supported.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Brian, I am afraid that both applications (Facebook and Appworld) require active BIS in order to work.

    @Kevlarr: just in case I am correct, you will be able to connect to Facebook website (do they have a mobile version, BTW?) and use this one instead of BB app, just as the email through browser.
  15. blackberry-unlocking710's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    You must have BIS but some carriers can give pre paid SIM cards with Blackberry data plan and unlocked Blackberry device will work with any carrier so it's a good option.

Posting Permissions