Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    258aa3c4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Trackpad water damage

hi, im looking for some advice. i dropped my blackberry in the bath a few days ago and everythings working apart from the trackpad which is letting my click but i can't scroll onto anything ...I am confident opening up my phone to repair any issues but i dont know if i should replace the trackpad or if the damage is done on the main board in the phone. I have looked at both the trackpad and main board as close as i can and cant seem to see any damage where something may have fried. Should i simply replace the trackpad or not waste my money? Thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

hard to say what you should do. The water could have damaged one or the other. Mot liekly the main board and especially if you powered on the phone within hours of it being wet, most likely you would have shorted something out. If you wat to risk it, its not that expensive anyways try a new trackpad, if that doesn't work you know something is wrong with the main board.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

In my case, I would take the chance and buy a new trackpad. Better than possibly buying a new blackberry for no reason at all.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    21D2A4B3

Quote Originally Posted by arranstobbs View Post
    hi, im looking for some advice. i dropped my blackberry in the bath a few days ago and everythings working apart from the trackpad which is letting my click but i can't scroll onto anything ...I am confident opening up my phone to repair any issues but i dont know if i should replace the trackpad or if the damage is done on the main board in the phone. I have looked at both the trackpad and main board as close as i can and cant seem to see any damage where something may have fried. Should i simply replace the trackpad or not waste my money? Thanks
    Before you do anything else, I would buy a bag of rice, pull the phone apart and stick it in the rice for 24hours at a minimum.
    It can take a very long time for water to evaporate out of all the crevices in a phone, and while its still wet, its still doing damage.
    I have a family member that can't keep their BB away from liquid, and the last time we had this issue it went back to working almost perfectly after a day or 2 in rice.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    258aa3c4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by rdyoung View Post
    Before you do anything else, I would buy a bag of rice, pull the phone apart and stick it in the rice for 24hours at a minimum.
    It can take a very long time for water to evaporate out of all the crevices in a phone, and while its still wet, its still doing damage.
    I have a family member that can't keep their BB away from liquid, and the last time we had this issue it went back to working almost perfectly after a day or 2 in rice.
    Did they drop it in water and the trackpad stop like mine? iv searched the net and havent found anyone so far who's had the exact same issue as me lol.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    21D2A4B3

Did they drop it in water and the trackpad stop like mine? iv searched the net and havent found anyone so far who's had the exact same issue as me lol.
    This was a model with the trackball. So the situation isn't identical, but rice works for anything electronic. I would try this first, and if it doesn't fix the pad, replace it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,689 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rdyoung View Post
    he is WAY past the point of this solution. the second you turn on the phone, any damage is done.

replace the trackpad. it's cheap, and if it doesn't work, at least you'll know you need to get a new phone.
    Previously: Blackberry Bold 9700 - 6.0.0.344
    Currently: Motorola Atrix - Android 2.2

"Simplicity provides a fine line between elegance and plainness."
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    NER

note to self: don't drop your blackberry in bath... it's bad

Bold 9700
    OS 5.0.0.680
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,352 Global Posts

how hard is it to replace the trackpad on these phones anyway??
    Current Device: Blackberry Bold 9650

Future Device: Droid Bionic 4G!
    CrackBerry User

You may have water inside the trackpad. It is an optical device and water in it may have meddenf up the transmission - detection setup inside it.

1. The trackpad may work again if the water gets out over time.

2. The tracpad plug on the mainbaord should be checked for moisture also. Unplug it, gently dry it and plug it in again and see if that helps.

3. The diodes that do the optical work or the lens in the trackpad maybe cloudy or permanently damaged. Get a new one.

Sorry if my post is redundant. I was in a rush. Sorry about your accident.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    21D2A4B3

Quote Originally Posted by Sihanling View Post
    You may have water inside the trackpad. It is an optical device and water in it may have meddenf up the transmission - detection setup inside it.

1. The trackpad may work again if the water gets out over time.

2. The tracpad plug on the mainbaord should be checked for moisture also. Unplug it, gently dry it and plug it in again and see if that helps.

3. The diodes that do the optical work or the lens in the trackpad maybe cloudy or permanently damaged. Get a new one.

Sorry if my post is redundant. I was in a rush. Sorry about your accident.

You would be amazed at what rice can fix when it comes to wet electronics. This is should be the first step when something like this happens, unless you have access to a industrial dessication machine, what they use when things flood.
    The rice will draw the moisture out of every nook, cranny and crevice the phone has. If after 48+ hours in the rice, the trackpad still doesnt work, then go ahead and replace it.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    http://rroyy.com

Did problem solved? I bought one from my friend for 50box ((= with all accsesories If there is cheep solution I'll fix or use it as 2nd without trackpad just to answer calls. Or it can be good for future replacements ((= 50box is nothin.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Yoo i got that same problem right noww ahah
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!

Bag of rice first, then trackpad replacement.

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ht-way-318876/

CrackBerry Newbie

sorry r we gonna remove everything on d blackberry or au r we gonna insert it in2 d rice

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tolulope18 View Post
    sorry r we gonna remove everything on d blackberry or au r we gonna insert it in2 d rice
    The link is below in my old post.
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Help

I had the same issue as you, can you tell me what happened with yours? What did you end up doing?