Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Is there a way to COMPLETELY turn off the phone

I was just wondering if there was a way to shut off the phone completely. It seems like my phone just goes into some type of standby mode. I hold the power button off and the usual message comes up saying your phone is powering off, press any button to cancel. So when it finally goes off, i press the power button again,. and the phone is instantly back on in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds. As i understand, Blackberrys are suppose to take a couple minutes to fully turn on (this only happens after i manually remove the battery whichis somewhat annoying)... But yea, i also turned it off thruogh the menu, and same results, something resembling a standby mode. Any help would be appreciated.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts

The only way to completely power down the phone is to remove the battery. Turning it off puts it in a low power consumption state, but the clock continues to keep time. If you set an alarm and turn the phone Off, at the alarm time, the phone will turn on and the alarm will sound.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    33,479 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

What Jeff said! Was heading in to post as he posted.

CrackBerry User

thanks for the tip
    CrackBerry Abuser

Blackberries don't go off. But then again why would you want to turn it off?
    - Joey -
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    If you set an alarm and turn the phone Off, at the alarm time, the phone will turn on and the alarm will sound.

We'll have to test this out. Because according to: Tutorials

"WARNING: If the handheld is powered off, the handheld DOES NOT automatically turn on to notify you of calendar reminders. Power the handheld on to notify you of calendar reminder."
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

thanks alot for the info...but yea, this is my first blackberry, and im coming from two windows mobile phones (the wing and the dash)...and i'm just so use to having to turn off the phone like every otherday since the applications tend to clutter up and slow down the phone significantly...but yea, im loving this phone alot, runs so smooth. Guess im sticking with blackberries for awhile. But yea, thanks again guys
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThePoisonBerry View Post
    We'll have to test this out. Because according to: Tutorials

"WARNING: If the handheld is powered off, the handheld DOES NOT automatically turn on to notify you of calendar reminders. Power the handheld on to notify you of calendar reminder."
    Calendar reminders are different than the Clock alarm.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

The power button puts it into standby.
    No calls or emails.
    It'll turn on for appointments, alarms or scheduled powerup.

Full powerdown is available in the menu of older BBs.
    It's the same as a battery pull. Won't wake up for anything.
    I like this feature for when I've been up too late and don't want to hear any buzzing or beeping in the AM!
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,600 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by giodaillest View Post
    thanks alot for the info...but yea, this is my first blackberry, and im coming from two windows mobile phones (the wing and the dash)...and i'm just so use to having to turn off the phone like every otherday since the applications tend to clutter up and slow down the phone significantly...but yea, im loving this phone alot, runs so smooth. Guess im sticking with blackberries for awhile. But yea, thanks again guys
    Sounds to me that you are not closing apps when you are done with them. If you hit the button just right of the trackpad it will close the app. If not you are running it in the background.

Hit your menu button twice and pick Switch Application and make sure that only the mail, phone, home screen and Internet are open (maybe visual VM if you use it). Any think more unless you need it open should be closed to make your BB run the fastest.

Programs like facebook, weather programs etc may want to be open but you need to decide.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts

The tutorial cited by ThePoisonBerry is correct, but so is the example I gave, because as davidnyc pointed out, Meeting Alerts are different from Alarms. I don't have an 8310, so I can't test burpusme's assertion that his 8310 turns on for appointments, but my Tour does not. However, if I set either a Calendar Alarm or a Clock Alarm, and turn Off the Tour, I will see a text box that says "Next on time ... " and it will show the time of the alarm that I set. The Tour will go Off, and at the set time, will turn On and alarm.

The only time my Tour is ever off is when I am flying.