Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default TCP/IP to blackberry.net

I am not sure if I am posting in the correct forum but I have a BB 9700 and I had one of those BIS "Unlimited" plan. Basically, any data that goes through the provided blackberry.net (APN settings from my service provider) will be free, excluding audio or video streaming.

Thats sounds simple and straight forward. However, I am always charged with additional data charges as it shows that I am using other APN (telkomsel).

Upon calling them, they claimed that some unauthorized software does not use the default blackberry.net APN settings and thus I am charged with additional data charges.

Now my question is, how do I prevent that from happening and how do I know which software is "free" to use under the unlimited data plan and which doesn't?

The weird thing is, IF I change my APN Settings to "abc.com", my entire BIS service will still work so it seems that whatever settings I put in, it will still work.

Any help?

- Charles
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Your problem is that blackberry.net does not use APN.

APN is put there as an alternative and goes out via a different port number. This can be monitored and measured, hence your extra charges.

To remain withing blackberry.net remove the settings from Options, Advanced Options, TCP (APN) and set them to "blank". This stops all traffic leaving your phone except that which goes via blackberry.net.

Programs that use APN such as Opera-Mini will no longer work but if you wish to eliminate extra charges then you will have to learn to do without these programs unless they are exclusively using WiFi.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Pete6 View Post
    Your problem is that blackberry.net does not use APN.

APN is put there as an alternative and goes out via a different port number. This can be monitored and measured, hence your extra charges.

To remain withing blackberry.net remove the settings from Options, Advanced Options, TCP (APN) and set them to "blank". This stops all traffic leaving your phone except that which goes via blackberry.net.

Programs that use APN such as Opera-Mini will no longer work but if you wish to eliminate extra charges then you will have to learn to do without these programs unless they are exclusively using WiFi.
    So what you are saying is that I should disable my APN Settings.. Just leave it blank without the tick mark?

Now, the problem is, I dont know which program is truely free, which program doesn't. How do I actually check it?

I have the following programs on my phone

Google Maps
    Formula1 2010 Application
    Amazon Kindle
    Apps World
    YouVersion Bible
    Associate Press
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Blackberry Messenger
    Windows Live Messenger
    Google Talk

- Charles
    Retired Moderator

How do I actually check it? ...
    After you implement Pete6 instructions, the ones that no longer work, were the problem.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Reed McLay View Post
    After you implement Pete6 instructions, the ones that no longer work, were the problem.
    Tried that. I disable APN Settings. All program works. I tried Enable APN but leave it blank and all program works. So this means, set it to blackberry.net or leave it "blank", all program works...

So why is my provider charging me extra?

- Charles
    Last edited by chaddeus; 05-25-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Quote Originally Posted by chaddeus View Post
    Tried that. I disable APN Settings. All program works. I tried Enable APN but leave it blank and all program works. So this means, set it to blackberry.net or leave it "blank", all program works...

So why is my provider charging me extra?

- Charles
    Reed said exactly what I would have said. Try please setting the APN fields to zero rather than just unchecking the Enable box.

I have an old 8100 and I use that in the US on PAYG. Without the APN settings I cannot use any apps. The native browser works but Google Maps do not.

The Service Books sent by your carrier (even if you have no data plan) define which service work. The Serrvice Books may have been put there before the phone was sold from new.

You could also try turning off the phone's wireless but leave WiFi switched on.

This is not an open and shut issue. There is no way to say. "This app will work and this one will not."

BlackBerrys are designed to work with a BlackBerry data-plan and it is hard to gauge what happens when you do not have one with any given carrier, phone history and to a lesser degree, OS revision.

If you do not intend getting a data-plan then you will have to spend some time working out which apps work, which apps use data for free and which work only on WiFi.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I appreciate your help but I am still confused...

I paid for the monthly unlimited data plan but its very confusing to know their definition of "unlimited".

Basically I tried the APN settings as you recommended. When I mean the program works means its fully functional. Data connection seems to work on all those programs. I can get news updates etc..

So what do you think now?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

I just re-read your original post. Since you cureently do have a data plan, then removong the APN settings should result in all traffic now being routed via blackberry.net.

Some apps try very hard to maintain connectivity and these will try any available channel to get their on-line data. You carrier might wish to refer to these as "unauthorised". In truth, they may well have been built for a variety of phones, BlackBerry being just one. This could easily lead to an app being able to use the APN data channel (if it is open as you have done) rather than blackberry.net.

The carrier will download Service Books to your phone. These are little files that tell the phone how to communicate. If you look in Options, Advanced Options, Service Books you will see a list of them.

Some carriers close off APN channels whilst others (yours, it seems) have opened them and are charging for their use. This is a good way for the carrier to make extra money since many people never check their bill very closely.

This is a bit like saying that entrance to a house if free via the front door but chargable via the side door and then leaving the gate open leading to the side door and a sign sayinge Welcome.

I hope that by now this is getting a little clearer. If not, please say so.

One last thing, Do you have an email account set up on your phone? I ask because a part of a valid BlackBerry dataplan known as the BlackBerry Internet Servie (BIS) is the email component. To set this up yo wil have done one of three things.
    - used the email setup Wizard on your phone
    - called the carrier to set up the email account
    - gone to the carrier's BIS site and logged in here BlackBerry Internet Service

If you do not have a working email then please try to set one up as this is a really good test to see if the BIS data plan is actually working.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Yes I do have a BIS Account and I setup my e-mail through my phone e-mail wizard. I did remove the APN settings but all seems to be working as usual.

The best explaination is that my provider turn on other APN channels so that they can get extra money. I called them up and talk to their CSR and as usual, they will say its impossible to ONLY allow data routed through the blackberry.net.

What I hate most is that my provider (all provider in Indonesia) offer "UNLIMITED" service but there are a lot of hidden charges...

- Charles
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

I am having the same problem here in the UK on Orange. I need to prevent normal data some how. Can I remove a service book entry or something? There must be a way that the phone can prevent non-BIS connections?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    PIN
    216631F3

Quote Originally Posted by chaddeus View Post
    I am not sure if I am posting in the correct forum but I have a BB 9700 and I had one of those BIS "Unlimited" plan. Basically, any data that goes through the provided blackberry.net (APN settings from my service provider) will be free, excluding audio or video streaming.

Thats sounds simple and straight forward. However, I am always charged with additional data charges as it shows that I am using other APN (telkomsel).

Upon calling them, they claimed that some unauthorized software does not use the default blackberry.net APN settings and thus I am charged with additional data charges.

Now my question is, how do I prevent that from happening and how do I know which software is "free" to use under the unlimited data plan and which doesn't?

The weird thing is, IF I change my APN Settings to "abc.com", my entire BIS service will still work so it seems that whatever settings I put in, it will still work.

Any help?

- Charles
    Buddy in My region an unlimited data plan means that 1)I have free emails being pushed, 2) free surfing and ota download via BB browser exclusively, 3) using appworld 4) using FB and twitter app built by blackberry. That's it. All other data is being charged, infact overcharged. For eg: browsing via operamini, weather apps, gmail app, and a heck of all other things are chargeable.
    APNs are irrelevant when u have bis activated. Even if u leave them blank, or disable them, the third party apps installed are gonna be charged for data usage.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    PIN
    216631F3

Quote Originally Posted by morthawt View Post
    I am having the same problem here in the UK on Orange. I need to prevent normal data some how. Can I remove a service book entry or something? There must be a way that the phone can prevent non-BIS connections?
    No way.
    Its a backdoor for carriers to party on customers money.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Isn't there a service book entry I can remove to prevent direct data connections that do not go through BIS?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    PIN
    216631F3

Isn't there a service book entry I can remove to prevent direct data connections that do not go through BIS?
    Service books are just configuration files for different apps on ur BB i.e Facebook , twitter, appworld, and all other built in apps by rim. Connections are made through host routing tables (HRT) and u can't edit that.

It depends on ur device: go to Options>advanced options> HRT> and scroll donw to the one entry that is in bold> select that entry and there u'll see ur data connection source as APN:blackberry.net.
    In short, no way to edit that.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

To remove the service books that is causing this issue, delete service books "WAP2 Transport" or similar. When you open this service book, you'll see the carrier's APN settings (not blackberry.net).

However, this service book will be back when you restart the phone OR when you turn off and on the radio again. Anyway, do take a close look on this and delete it whenever you sees it.

- Charles
    Follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/cthaddeus

Phone History : Nokia 3310 > Nokia 8250 > Nokia 3320 > Nokia 7210 > Sony Ericsson T610i > Sony Ericsson W810i > Nokia E71 > Nokia E72 > Blackberry 9700 > Blackberry 9800 > Blackberry 9900 > Blackberry Q10

PDA History : Compaq iPAQ 3630 > Playbook 64GB > Google Nexus 7 16GB

"Physical keyboard rules!!"
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,070 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by husainpatan View Post
    Buddy in My region an unlimited data plan means that 1)I have free emails being pushed, 2) free surfing and ota download via BB browser exclusively, 3) using appworld 4) using FB and twitter app built by blackberry. That's it. All other data is being charged, infact overcharged. For eg: browsing via operamini, weather apps, gmail app, and a heck of all other things are chargeable.
    APNs are irrelevant when u have bis activated. Even if u leave them blank, or disable them, the third party apps installed are gonna be charged for data usage.
    Same as in Indonesia but it may not be true actually. The carrier will tell you that ONLY "certified" blackberry application will be free and that others like Opera will be chargable.

Most application by default will go through blackberry.net but when for some reason they can't connect to blackberry.net, they will switch to TCP/IP connection which you will then be charged.

So give a try. Delete the WAP2 Transport service book and try to use any application that you want. If it works, then it means you can use the application and it will not be charged.

Do this at your own risk. I dont want to be responsible if you have super huge bills

- Charles
    Follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/cthaddeus

Phone History : Nokia 3310 > Nokia 8250 > Nokia 3320 > Nokia 7210 > Sony Ericsson T610i > Sony Ericsson W810i > Nokia E71 > Nokia E72 > Blackberry 9700 > Blackberry 9800 > Blackberry 9900 > Blackberry Q10

PDA History : Compaq iPAQ 3630 > Playbook 64GB > Google Nexus 7 16GB

"Physical keyboard rules!!"