Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28A4C8D8
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Angry T-Mobile 9700 UMA and General Connection Issues

Hey all!

Is anyone else having issues with UMA on their T-Mobile 9700. I can't determine whether or not it's my school's WiFi or my device. The phone attempts to connect to the WiFi network and then it shows UMA but isntantly lets it go. Some errors I've seen are "The required radio channel is unavailable." or "WiFi Connection Failed" or "UTC..." << didn't really catch that last one.

I have also been having issues where I would leave my building (where I usually use WiFi only) and my phone either won't get a connection to the Cell Tower or it'll connect to EDGE (when I know 3G is available). Only way to get it to reconnect is to turn off/restore connections and/or do a battery pull. I'm tempted to take it back and get a new phone to see if that's the problem. What do you all think? Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Should I give the newest OS a shot or try reinstalling T-Mobile's?
    eburganjr

once you go crackberry...you wind up like me
    CrackBerry User

Been using UMA at home since i bought the phone. no issues whatsoever.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,164 Global Posts
    PIN
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by eburganjr View Post
    Hey all!

Is anyone else having issues with UMA on their T-Mobile 9700. I can't determine whether or not it's my school's WiFi or my device. The phone attempts to connect to the WiFi network and then it shows UMA but isntantly lets it go. Some errors I've seen are "The required radio channel is unavailable." or "WiFi Connection Failed" or "UTC..." << didn't really catch that last one.

I have also been having issues where I would leave my building (where I usually use WiFi only) and my phone either won't get a connection to the Cell Tower or it'll connect to EDGE (when I know 3G is available). Only way to get it to reconnect is to turn off/restore connections and/or do a battery pull. I'm tempted to take it back and get a new phone to see if that's the problem. What do you all think? Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Should I give the newest OS a shot or try reinstalling T-Mobile's?
    Given the issues Blackberry has had recently, don't assume it's the device. You need to call the carrier and check it out with them.
    Connie
    Army Strong
    CrackBerry Abuser

My uma at home is fine, but I have had it drop where wifi is public like at barnes and noble. It times out if you aren't using it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Hey all!

Are you still using .114? I had a lot of connectivity issues with that version. I would try an OS update, if you haven't already done so.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

Mine has been great. I would bet it's your school's router settings or whatever.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28A4C8D8
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by zenstorm View Post
    My uma at home is fine, but I have had it drop where wifi is public like at barnes and noble. It times out if you aren't using it

I have never had a time-out issue before. I've been using UMA for about 2 years. I'm not saying it's impossible that it was introduced on the 9700, just unlikely. But I could be wrong. But I appreciate the input since I really have NO CLUE what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by JTurtle View Post
    Are you still using .114? I had a lot of connectivity issues with that version. I would try an OS update, if you haven't already done so.
    I am currently using .330 <<< The version that T-Mobile shipped with. I want to try an OS update. I'm not sure which is the best one to give a shot though...
    eburganjr

CrackBerry Addict

I have never had a time-out issue before. I've been using UMA for about 2 years. I'm not saying it's impossible that it was introduced on the 9700, just unlikely. But I could be wrong. But I appreciate the input since I really have NO CLUE what's going on

I am currently using .330 <<< The version that T-Mobile shipped with. I want to try an OS update. I'm not sure which is the best one to give a shot though...
    Sorry, your user info. showed that you were using the 8900 with version .114, when you posted your original question.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    20ECEACF

I wouldn't be surprise if its your school's firewall settings. With my 8900 i can't connect to my school's wifi. you should ask your school's it department.
    motorola razr< palm treo 600< blackberry pearl 8100< tmobile dash< blackberry 8900

I will never use anything else besides a blackberry from now on!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28A4C8D8
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

I have my MAC Address in my school's exception list (which has worked in the past). I'm getting to the point where I'd like to assume there's something going on with the Internet here. I still have my 8900 on the allowed list and it's doing the EXACT same thing. It grabs the connection and then it's like it gets rejected 5 seconds later. It'll repeat this process every 5 minutes or so.

I'm still tempted to make an exchange based on the 3G issue, but I'm going to wait until I get home to determine if there's really an issue.
    eburganjr

CrackBerry Abuser

I have similar problems to the OP's. 3G is stable and strong where I am and I can't get web pages to load at all sometimes, and at best they will load slow. I also notice the phone sparratically transferring data (arrows topright flash strangely) and at that point I will attempt a phone call and am unable to get a connection (all the while with full bars and 3g displayed). I have to turn connections off and back on to fix that. I finally gave up on 3G and turned on Wifi for UMA and everything is super fast and connection is stable. After all this + a wobbly horsesh!t trackpad + terrible batt life-i sent for a replacement. I've already had it with this phone. I'm running .330 and anyone considering updating to a newer version-i would say go for it.

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28A4C8D8
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Brightwater View Post
    I have similar problems to the OP's. 3G is stable and strong where I am and I can't get web pages to load at all sometimes, and at best they will load slow. I also notice the phone sparratically transferring data (arrows topright flash strangely) and at that point I will attempt a phone call and am unable to get a connection (all the while with full bars and 3g displayed). I have to turn connections off and back on to fix that. I finally gave up on 3G and turned on Wifi for UMA and everything is super fast and connection is stable. After all this + a wobbly horsesh!t trackpad + terrible batt life-i sent for a replacement. I've already had it with this phone. I'm running .330 and anyone considering updating to a newer version-i would say go for it.

The issues suck, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with problems right now. I may call for a replacement, or go back to the store, whichever becomes easier when I make the decision. I guess it's just new phone issues. Hopefully, it's all software and not hardware related. I'm in love with this thing otherwise.
    eburganjr

CrackBerry User

I've had a version of this problem, although not nearly as severe as the OP seems to be experiencing. I'll note first that in general I find the 3G/EDGE/Wifi handoff on my new 9700 also to be of dubious quality. I'll skip over those handoff problems as they aren't easily reproducible; I will simply agree with the second poster that I am experience anomalous behavior as well.

The main symptom I am experiencing occurs at home where I get no 3G service and am limited to EDGE. Normally my 9700 will connect to my router just fine and UMA will work great. But every now and then the UMA will drop and the 9700 will resort to EDGE, greatly slowing down browsing as you would expect -- all the while the 9700 reports being connected to Wifi. That is, under "Wi-Fi Diagnostics" I will have nice green checks under all boxes under "UMA Wi-Fi Available" but a red strike under "Authentication". Other times I will be out and when I return the 9700 will not automatically pick up the UMA connection again, until I manually refresh the Wifi connection. But even then, the UMA drifts in and out on occasion.

The same router provided perfectly good (and continuous) UMA service for a 8120 in the past, so I am almost 100% convinced it's not my router's fault. As if to taunt me, an iPhone 3GS has no problem detecting and maintaining a wifi connection either.

I am running 0.344.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28A4C8D8
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

I haven't had an issue since I've been home which leads me to believe that it's just an issue I'm having at school. 3G coverage is spotty up there and cell service happens to cut in even when I'm in an open field. I'm just happy to realize it doesn't have to do with the phone (at least it doesn't seem like it at this point) Since I've been back in known 3G territory, I haven't had issues with UMA/3G/EDGE handoff. But I'm hoping a software issue may help the issues I'm having at school. The handoff is terrible (and sometimes just doesn't happen unless I turn All Connections Off)
    eburganjr

CrackBerry Newbie

Hey all!

Yes, check out t-mobile forums.....I've had the same problems and the only way I don't have dropped calls and other problems is because I changed the Network Mode to 2G. The problem is with the frequency t-mobile used for 3G network, I'm assuming you have t-mobile also!

Re: 9700 3G support - T-Mobile Community