Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    PIN
    see avatar
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Switching from UMA to 3G or EDGE....calls dropping

Is anyone else having problems with dropped calls when switching from UMA to 3G? Where I work I do not have a signal in the building, so I keep my WIFI on so I can both make and receive phone calls while inside.

The problem occurs when I'm on the phone and step outside. I lose my connection with the router, and instead of switching from UMA to 3G, my call is dropped, and it takes my phone about 10 seconds to find the 3G signal.

Anyone else having similar problems?

I was hopping that upgrading the .442 would solve the problem, but it has not
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I am having the same problem as well. I don't really know, but I think that it is a recent issue for me as I don't recall it happening before. I was hoping an OS upgrade was needed but I guess you answered that for me.

I have a T-mobile 9700 using 5.0.0.330. (Wireless preferred, 2G 3G)
    CrackBerry Master

Please do the followings. It should help, but it depends on whether your area have very poor to no signal or not. If there is decent signal, it should fix your problem.

Go to Manage Connections/Wi-Fi Options, then click on one of your Wi-Fi SSID, it should bring up option for you to edit.

Click Edit and make sure you check the box saying "Allow inter-access point handover" then save.

Do this for alls your Wi-Fi SSID. The handoff from UMA to radio signal should be a lot smoother.

Good luck.
    CrackBerry User

Let me know if any of you try the remedy mentioned above and it works. I have the same problem. For now I'm just avoiding leaving home when on a UMA call, and avoiding going into the house if I'm on the phone when I get home. It always drops the call when going from UMA to 3G. On top of that, once the phone switches over, it drops the call, and then I am unable to make a call for at least a few minutes (get the busy signal, or disconnected signal when try to dial out). Sometimes I even have to do a batt pull. The complications only seem to occur when Im actually on a phone call when it passes off from the network to the router. If I'm not on a call when it passes off, it's A-O-K.

Im using the standard 330 OS on Tmo.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Worked perfectly. Thank you!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

thanks doxa and bidaci, I've updated my settings and we'll see how it works out once I make it home from work tonight!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon request

hey guys well ive been haveing this problem for a couple days now and its really annoying me. Im with rogers and my phone is going from 3g to gsm to sos to edge CONSTANTLY and its really getting me nervous please help me!!! i changed my sim already! thanks
    CrackBerry User

colagrosso your problem is unrelated to this post. This post is regarding passing off from a cellular network to a local network. Your issue seems to be related to an issue with passing off from one cellular network to another. What is the signal strength when the constant changes occur most frequently? Low? Med? High?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Seems like my handover issues are back. Dropped the call as I switched between UMA and what should have been the mobile network. I say should because for 7 miles I couldn't get a network until I shut off the phone an turned it back on. I'll need to check this with a different UMA connection as see what happens. It is a pain in the **** dropping calls when leaving the office.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by doxa sub750T View Post
    Please do the followings. It should help, but it depends on whether your area have very poor to no signal or not. If there is decent signal, it should fix your problem.

Go to Manage Connections/Wi-Fi Options, then click on one of your Wi-Fi SSID, it should bring up option for you to edit.

Click Edit and make sure you check the box saying "Allow inter-access point handover" then save.

Do this for alls your Wi-Fi SSID. The handoff from UMA to radio signal should be a lot smoother.

Good luck.
    Have been having the same problems on Orange in the UK. I have amended my settings as suggested above and will see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bretheren View Post
    Have been having the same problems on Orange in the UK. I have amended my settings as suggested above and will see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion
    Please keep in mind that if the area where you have most problem with has virtually no coverage signal, this trick would still be no good. It needs to have some level of decent coverage signal to make the transition goes really smooth.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

06:08 PM: I too have tried your settings idea! I live on a fringe coverage area so I hope that this helps.

07:49 PM: So far all is great...Thank you
    Last edited by jshuford; 02-17-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    "I don't know anything about anything...I will however steer you wrong if you like!"
    Linux users can use "barrybackup" to backup their devices.

For USB WiFi adapters use Encore ENUWI-G2

CrackBerry User

I used to have this problem and not just with my 9700, but also happened on my 8900 and 8320 as well. Usually only at work never really noticed a call drop when leaving home. But just like the above posters, it would always drop the call when switching from my work's WIFI/UMA signal to 3G/EDGE.

I did notice though, that if I pause (stand still for a minute) where the call would always drop and gave my phone time to "switch over" that my berry could transition smoothly with no problems. Then again, I also get fantastic 3G coverage outside of work. I just have my phone set to WIFI preferred because inside the building I work in there's little to no coverage.
    Last edited by potmunkey; 02-18-2010 at 12:51 AM.