Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default SIM Not Allowed

So I got my 9700 out my pocket today only to find it had no signal and, instead of the network name, it said "SIM Not Allowed".

I pulled the battery and that fixed it for now, but I did some googling about this problem and it seems it's often a hardware fault. A friend of mine randomly got a similar error on her 9780 which said "SIM Not Provisioned:2" and had to have her BB replaced. But I got mine off eBay, no warranty to fall back on here.

Additionally, it also started giving me low memory warnings a lot despite the fact I have only three apps installed and a bunch of the included ones removed (Social Feeds and a few other things I never use).

If this thing gives me one more problem I swear I'm getting an Android phone instead, it's already refusing to show my GMail inbox
    Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

If you bought phones from eBay I recommend you wipping it to delete everything etc etc..
    And did you try using diffrent SIM card?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I wiped it as soon as I got it, that's the first thing I do with eBay stuff. I also updated it to OS 6 using an official link from CrackBerry and wiped it again during that process as well (didn't back anything up).

It's working fine on my current SIM so far, so I'll see if it happens again. The SIM is only about a year old if that, it's not like it's one I've had since my first phone in 1990 or anything
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    That's for me to know and you to guess!

Could have been something as simple as dirty contacts on the SIM card or on the contact pins. Try cleaning the SIM card contacts with a pencil eraser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I got this once again today, and yesterday I got a solid red light and a completely blank screen until I pulled the battery. I'm afraid my 'Berry's going down the s**ter.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: SIM Not Allowed

There is one solution I'm testing right now is to choose network operator manually.
    To do this you have to Networks and Connections > Mobile Networks and in Network Selection Mode select Manual, then choose your operator.

It is seems that in that in areas with low signal (like elevators, subways) BB can switch to another operator to preserv at least emergency calls functionality, but another operator just denies your SIM.

Still not sure about all this. Will confirm after test it myself.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default SIM not allowed

I've just subscribed because of a comment made by "dangerousfen" below. Thanks "dangerousfen".

"Could have been something as simple as dirty contacts on the SIM card or on the contact pins. Try cleaning the SIM card contacts with a pencil eraser"

Well, I did not clean mine with the eraser (saw the comment aftewards), but I moved the SIM back and forth without removing it and could clearly hear a dusty noise....what you hear when you scratch the shole of your shoes over sand on the street...I thought there was some dirty/sand there. I cleaned it with a bit of air coming out of my moutht, put the battery back....and I'm back on business again.

I also saw a comment from someone who lives in a place wheere there is bad connection (the only thing atypical for him). This also struck me because I got this "sim not allowed" issue after facing connectivity issues...on and off 2-3 times, every 2-3 days per week, for a few months. Not major, but it is a signal. Hope the issues is gone.