Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Setup OWA 2003 exchange email in Bold 9700 with BIS

Hi all,

i'm trying to configure bold 9700 to receive my work emails.
    server info:
    Service: Exchange 2003
    Protocols: https (443)
    Authentication : Certificate & Network logon
    Currently using owa to access email using this url:
    https://intranet.company.com
    it'll require certificate to access the main page of OWA.
    once authenticate then use network logon to access mailbox.

im using Email setup wizard in Bold;
    these all the fields that need to fill up;
    Email type : OWA (Exchange)
    Email Address: name@company.com
    Password:xxxxxx
    Outlook Web Access URL: https://intranet.company.com
    Username : name
    Mailbox name: https://intranet.company.com/exchange/name/#

may i know whether my configuration on device is correct?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Ask

This depends entirely on the configuration of your work exchange server.

Things I picked up on is:

OWA URL should probably be: https://intranet.company.com/exchange
    Mailbox name should not be a URL but a mailbox name.

Again this will depend on how your Administrator has configured your exchange server's OWA. Can you ask him/her for assistance?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Just went through all of this at work with my 9700. You should know (if you don't already), that there are limitations with using BIS for MS Exchange... like your calendar, contacts, etc. will not sync (you'll have to use Desktop Manager). Also had trouble syncing deleted emails in either direction (to and from the computer). I previously had a Windows OS phone (Samsung Blackjack), and was spoiled by the seamless integration with Outlook/MS Exchange.
    I'm currently in the trial period for NotifySync, and have to say that it's been absolutely awesome. Full "direct-push" for sync of all Outlook info. The only thing that gives me pause is the price. I'll be checking out AstraSync as well.

Both look like good options for use with an MS Exchange server in a company that doesn't support BES, and are both cheaper than purchasing a BES plan through your carrier....
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Hi, I just read someone post that blackberry will only syncing email with exchange
    Server in 15mins time..so there is no immediate notification for new email.
    They suggest to forward work email to third party email..and I think this is not what we want from bb features..I still didn't manage to set up my work email.
    This features only use port 443 rite? No additional port require for this communication?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

my exchange require personal certificate to access the logon page.
    does this make the problem?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
    Just went through all of this at work with my 9700. You should know (if you don't already), that there are limitations with using BIS for MS Exchange... like your calendar, contacts, etc. will not sync (you'll have to use Desktop Manager). Also had trouble syncing deleted emails in either direction (to and from the computer). I previously had a Windows OS phone (Samsung Blackjack), and was spoiled by the seamless integration with Outlook/MS Exchange.
    I'm currently in the trial period for NotifySync, and have to say that it's been absolutely awesome. Full "direct-push" for sync of all Outlook info. The only thing that gives me pause is the price. I'll be checking out AstraSync as well.

Both look like good options for use with an MS Exchange server in a company that doesn't support BES, and are both cheaper than purchasing a BES plan through your carrier....
    Are you sure? I was playing with my son's iPhone and there's Microsoft Exchange email app that i entered some simple info into. Then immediately, all my outlook email, contacts, and calendar was sync'd up. It was amazingly simple and fast. I haven't tried this using BIS, but i don't see why it would be different? I use BES but I'm thinking of changing to BIS. I guess it may also depend on how secure the company exchange server is. I'm not knowledgeable on this but I imagine there are levels of security.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    NER

i'm running fine syncing my work Outlook with my 9700 over BIS... but then again, we are running Outlook 07... exchange web access is MUCH improved over 2003.... regardless, i believe your work systems people have to have the exchange server configured to allow devices to access via web access...
    Bold 9700
    OS 5.0.0.680
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
    i'm running fine syncing my work Outlook with my 9700 over BIS... but then again, we are running Outlook 07... exchange web access is MUCH improved over 2003.... regardless, i believe your work systems people have to have the exchange server configured to allow devices to access via web access...
    At first, i was assuming that since I had such an easy time syncing outlook, contacts, and calendar using the built in iPhone app, that it should be that easy for a Blackberry. ( Outlook 2003) i run BES now with no problem. But, reading through a bunch of threads here, it appears that it may not be all that simple on a Blackberry running BIS. Sounds like Outlook mails sync up great, but contacts and calendar has been a mixed bag.

I guess I'll just have to try and see what happens.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    NER

truthfully, an iphone integrates better with an Exchange server than a BB over BIS... BES, i have no experience with, most likely better integration... dunno how it compares to iphone... but iphone had seriously good integration with Outlook - mail, calendar AND global contacts... it would even recognise them as you typed so you didn't have to search... pretty amazing...

i left iphone... but i might be back depending on what the 4th gen iphone brings...

but back on topic, i'm at least happy my 9700 syncs emails perfectly over BIS... contacts and calendar, not so much but for me that's not a dealbreaker... if you accept a meeting invite, it will at least go into the BB's calendar...
    Bold 9700
    OS 5.0.0.680
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
    truthfully, an iphone integrates better with an Exchange server than a BB over BIS... BES, i have no experience with, most likely better integration... dunno how it compares to iphone... but iphone had seriously good integration with Outlook - mail, calendar AND global contacts... it would even recognise them as you typed so you didn't have to search... pretty amazing...

i left iphone... but i might be back depending on what the 4th gen iphone brings...

but back on topic, i'm at least happy my 9700 syncs emails perfectly over BIS... contacts and calendar, not so much but for me that's not a dealbreaker... if you accept a meeting invite, it will at least go into the BB's calendar...
    Good input. I thought the Blackberry is the business phone. If i didn't have such a tough time typing on the iPhone, i wouldn't touch a Blackberry. Oh, well to be fair, the battery life on the 3GS is really bad. So I guess i wouldn't touch an iPhone for that too. well, i just talked myself into getting the 9700 now. I currently use an unlocked 9000 on Tmob and don't have UMA or 3G.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

@abfackeln
    how the testing goes?
    notifysync or astrasync? or BES software is the best ever syncing tools for Exchange email?

since OWA is not perform his job well(web interface). syncing directly to bb would be much better..
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,020 Global Posts

You probably won't like AstraSync...they don't have access to the RIM API's (they've applied, but were turned down), so that means no LED notifications or icon notifications, and the sound notification has to be set in the program. It's a separate icon to get your emails, doesn't integrate with the native message folders. Very clunky in my opinion.

NotifySync is a much cleaner alternative at this point in time. More expensive the first year, but price drops significantly after that.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Default BES vs BB Professional Software vs Astrasync

in the scenario of 10bb users intend to syncing exchange email, which one is preferred . BES, BPS, AstraSync ?

cost will be the constraint (no new server, no high cost, no additional hardware purchase).

so far, BES will be out in this competition.. so either BPS vs AstraSync..
    anyone tried before?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,020 Global Posts

BPS works great, no real huge differences aside from capacity (for our needs) than BES. Only real negative is that they aren't developing it any further so it's stuck on 4.x; plus the fact that your users still need the more expensive "enterprise" data plan. But the sync performance is the best you'll find outside of a full BES. Again, as I said in a previous post, AstraSync has very poor integration, I demo'd it for a 2 week trial...well, actually I dumped it after a couple days. NotifySync would be a better choice out of those type of solutions.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by netwerx1 View Post
    BPS works great, no real huge differences aside from capacity (for our needs) than BES. Only real negative is that they aren't developing it any further so it's stuck on 4.x; plus the fact that your users still need the more expensive "enterprise" data plan. But the sync performance is the best you'll find outside of a full BES. Again, as I said in a previous post, AstraSync has very poor integration, I demo'd it for a 2 week trial...well, actually I dumped it after a couple days. NotifySync would be a better choice out of those type of solutions.

Ooppsss..yeahh. Sorry miss typo..shud be notifysync n not astra..
    Thanks netwerx1 .. I'll give it try..

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

I stuck in configuring bps at the activation part.
    How do I change the deployment option..at first I choose wirelessly but then I decide to use desktop manager..
    N. May I know if the bps is behind firewall.wut port are used for this purpose..thx

CrackBerry User

We trialled notifysync at work on some 83xx blackberrys, and I have never encountered an app so bad for blackberry. Slows them to an absolute crawl, regularly stops syncing, calenders stop working, and forever uninstalling and reinstalling to get working again. Logged so many calls with them, and the regular fix is to delete service books, and then resync or uninstall and reinstall.

Could never ever recommend it, takes the blackberry out of blackberry!