Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Replacing the keypad on Bold 9700

I tried searching for this topic on this forum and Google, but can't find anything specific (especially with pics). Is it easy to replace a keypad on a 9700?

Just by observation, seems like all you need to do is some how pop off the bottom plate (that part with your provider's logo stamped) and remove two screws that hold down the keypad. I'm wondering if there's more to it...and, does that bottom plate pop off that easily?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of buying a replacement OEM keypad with Korean characters on it; not anything to do with damages, warranty, or repairs.

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,260 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eddiev9 View Post
    I tried searching for this topic on this forum and Google, but can't find anything specific (especially with pics). Is it easy to replace a keypad on a 9700?

Just by observation, seems like all you need to do is some how pop off the bottom plate (that part with your provider's logo stamped) and remove two screws that hold down the keypad. I'm wondering if there's more to it...and, does that bottom plate pop off that easily?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of buying a replacement OEM keypad with Korean characters on it; not anything to do with damages, warranty, or repairs.

Thanks.
    There is more to it, you have to remove the bezel also. Here is a how to.

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K TACO

Keep in mind it will void your warranty. If you mess up the phone, make sure you have insurance because that will be the only way you can replace it.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Ahh, of course! YouTube!
    Thanks, ThreeFive!

I'll keep the warranty void thing in mind, too, tbone. Thanks.
    I wonder, though...if it'd be possible to have it replaced by my provider store location without voiding warranty.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,260 Global Posts

I doubt that they would change out a keypad for you.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    842 Global Posts
    PIN
    I'm not telling you!

Changing a keyboard on the 9700 is a cakewalk compared to the 8520. Just pop off a nameplate, remove two screws and pop off the bezel. I doubt the two keyboard screws are marked so there is no way that anyone can tell you replaced the keyboard. Unlike the 8520 where you have to remove screws that hold the phone together and one is marked to indicate you have removed. it. If you need warranty service just reverse the procedure and put the original keyboard back in.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    PIN
    21CEF7D8

one of the screws are marked in the 9700 as well
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    PIN
    21CEF7D8

Quote Originally Posted by harley76 View Post
    one of the screws are marked in the 9700 as well
    it's just a little sticker type thing tho. just remove it before and replace it after
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K TACO

If that sticker is gone, your warranty is void. If you look hard enough, you could probably find some replacement stickers out there.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

I really appreciate the advice, everyone.
    I ordered a toolkit like the ones they use in those YouTube vids; probably won't be here for a few weeks. I'll keep an eye out for that little sticker.
    CrackBerry User

I have replaced my keypad, and yes, if you are concerned with your warranty, I would advise you to carefully peel the sticker off the top of the left screw with a very sharp blade of some sort, as I ended up damaging mine because I was not careful enough.

Here are the steps that I would suggest you to take to decrease damage to the parts during the keypad replacement process.

1) Take your battery out of your phone and leave the battery door off
    2) Have your phone flat on a hard surface (ie desk, table) facing up
    3) Turn the phone so that the speaker is closest to you
    4) Gently pop off the bottom cover by using the thinner blue pry tool in your tool kit to un-clip the clips that are located beneath the bottom cover under the left "alt" key and right "enter" arrow key. Just pop each side out gently, one at a time.
    5) Carefully remove the warranty sticker found on the left screw
    6) Use a T-5 torx screwdriver to remove the screws
    7) When screws are removed, take your long blue pry tool and pry the bottom of the bezel from the bottom. There are two latches at the bottom of the bezel that clip to the midplate.
    8) Once the bottom part of the bezel is unclipped from the two latches, gently pry the bezel away from the sides of the phone. There are two clips on both sides (just above the call and end buttons) where the bezel meets the side of the screen. Pry the bezel in these areas upwards to unclip it from the midplate. Once these clips are unclipped, continue to loosen the rest of the bezel on both sides of the keypad until you can remove the whole bezel by pushing it up away from the keypad. When loose, push the bezel upwards in the direction of the top of the phone until the full bezel is taken off.
    9) Once the bezel has been removed, go ahead and lift your original keypad away from the phone and replace it with the new one, making sure that it fits snug around the trackpad and is set in place on both sides so it does not move around. It might take a few wiggles until it fits nice and tight, but make sure you take your time so you don't screw up the placement.
    10) When the new keypad is in place, slide the bezel back into position in the same motion that you took it off. There are grooves on the inner sides of the bezel that fit the grooves in the sides of the phone, these should all end up reattaching themselves to fit snug again when you put it back on. Start from the top cover down, slide your fingers down both sides until you hear clicking (this means it's reattaching nicely). Be sure to carefully push down the side latches once again to each side of the phone. There are two openings that the clips should fit into and will make a nice loud click to tell you that it's in tight. Then once this is done, work your way down to the bottom and click the bottom latches into place. Be aware, sometimes when you reattach your bezel, it might not seem as snug and tight to the sides of the phone as it was before. This might just mean that you have missed a few clips, so if that's the case, just try it again. Don't force anything though, be gentle.
    11) When the bezel is back on and locked in, put the screws back into their respective holes. Do not tighten the screws too much, just enough so that it's nice and snug.
    12) Carefully fit the bottom cover back into place by carefully pushing down on both sides. I must warn you, though, that the bottom cover will not be as tight as it was before you took it off. It might seem a bit looser and might even move around. If this is the case, try straightening the leg clips if they are bent forward. Do this carefully so they don't break. If you try this and the bottom cover is still not tight. You can purchase a new one for cheap online. It is almost guaranteed that it will fit nice and tight the first time it is clipped in.

That might be a lot to take in, but i've taken apart my 9700 so many times and I know how frustrating it can be to screw up and end up with a loose, dented, flimsy re-assembly.

Hope that helps
    Thanked by:
    jack57 (12-03-2010) 
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

wow. thanks for all the advice and details, stylez. i would've never known all this just by watching vids. i'm definitely going to refer to your post when all the parts and tools come in. thanks again!
    CrackBerry User

No problem. Glad to help
    CrackBerry Newbie

eddiev9--how did it go changing the keypad?? I want to change mine but I'm nervous about the whole sticker thing over the screw.
    In Love
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts

That sticker is designed to fall apart if you mess with it, I couldn't salvage mine even using a double edge shaving razor blade to try to remove it. It doesn't get much sharper than that.
    I've sipped many different Kool-Aid's...
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by iiiiiLoveMyBB View Post
    eddiev9--how did it go changing the keypad?? I want to change mine but I'm nervous about the whole sticker thing over the screw.
    Changing the keypad was actually a cinch. I admit I was a little nervous with all the snapping and slight bending of parts, but with the right tools, it went well.

However, as posted by Totalimmortal363, that little sticker part was designed to crumble. I tried my best with a scalpel-like, model blade...I managed to salvage about 2/3 of it. But, then I installed a matte black bezel (looks awesome, by the way)...the sticker pretty much broke into pieces, so...pretty much screwed. But that's okay. I have no regrets. I think it's worth it
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*******

changing the keypad is very easy.. actually the 9700 is the easiest phone to take apart!

yes there is a sticker on the left screw.. but just be very careful when taking it off.. i use a scalpel or xacto knife to gently get under the sticker, i do not flick the sticker up, i just keep sliding the knife under it so it ends up ontop of the blade.

i've changed bezels, keyboards for over 15 9700's and all of them i had the sticker intact..

i've opened mine over 10 times and the sticker is still intact.

u just need stead hands and a sharp knife..
    CrackBerry Newbie

Wow! So might as well cancel insurance huh?
    In Love
    CrackBerry Newbie

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by eddiev9 View Post
    Changing the keypad was actually a cinch. I admit I was a little nervous with all the snapping and slight bending of parts, but with the right tools, it went well.

However, as posted by Totalimmortal363, that little sticker part was designed to crumble. I tried my best with a scalpel-like, model blade...I managed to salvage about 2/3 of it. But, then I installed a matte black bezel (looks awesome, by the way)...the sticker pretty much broke into pieces, so...pretty much screwed. But that's okay. I have no regrets. I think it's worth it
    Wow that's awesome I really want to change mine only because my space bar letters are fading ughhhh I hate to look at my space keyy lol!
    In Love
    CrackBerry Newbie

O and where did u buy the pad and equip from?
    In Love
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by iiiiiLoveMyBB View Post
    O and where did u buy the pad and equip from?
    I think he got it from over there..
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    822 Global Posts

SW-BOX

CrackBerry User

I replaced mine today and couldn't remove the white chrome frame from my phone (think it's called bezel?). I could open it from the bottom but it wouldnt come off from the sides (where the end and call buttons are), so I just held the bottom really high and slid the keyboard in and it worked
    really fast.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by charlieb620 View Post
    SW-BOX

Nice!! I wanted to change mine to pink but I don't know..I want to keep it "original" w/ the black.
    In Love
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi,

So to begin with, I'm a relatively new Blackberry user. I currently have the 9700 and I bought it from Kuwait so its unlocked, and I'm not on a contract with any carrier. Its almost a year old, and the warranty from the store I bought it from is over. The problem I am having is that the "alt" key, and "p" key has fallen off. Given this, the only way to fix this is to replace the keyboard.

1) What I'd like to know is if there is a good and reliable site or place (in Toronto) where I can purchase the necessary items to fix the phone.
    2) Is there a better alternative to replacing the entire keyboard?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast