1. svu
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Radio Error - Catfailed... permanently fix with jl_cmder?

I know this has been discussed, but I have not seen a definitive answer on this. I also would like to state that I never installed any unauthorized software on my phone or attempted to unlock or unbrand. However, I'm getting this message after switching to 3G. Originally I was getting one of the blackberry error messages during boot up and the phone would not load. I reinstalled the software with the desktop manager and the phone functions normally when I select '2G only' and that includes email and internet. However, when I switch it to 3G it automatically freezes up with the 'catfailed' error message. I heard that I should use jl_cmder to wipe the phone clean and then I can use 3G again? Others have suggested going between 3G and 2G rapidly to to fix this error? (If I understood correctly one of the posts). I don't want to use jl_cmder and permanently mess up my phone so it won't even work in 2G or have to deal with trying to get it reconfigured by my less than competent service provider (ICE in Costa Rica, who have already said my phone is permanently dead, even though I got it to work in 2G fully by just reinstalling the software and using my backup). Any suggestions?
  2. svu
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

I must mention that this phone worked perfectly on the 3G network here in Costa Rica and also in Panama for a full year before I was not able to boot the phone and had to reinstall the software which then led to the 'catfailed' error. The phone was purchased new by an authorized dealer in Costa Rica. I don't believe that ICE (the service provider in Costa Rica) locks phones to the network, if that makes a difference.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts

It sounds like an operating system error...wipe it with jl_cmder...it won't permanently mess it up...OSes are reinstallable.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

I suggest downloading the device software from your provider, installing it, then using BBSAK, which is easier to use, and reload the software that way. Wipe Device first, then Load OS after (i'm corresponding to the buttons within the BBSAK window once the program is launched). That should fix it up.

Link to BBSAK: BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 02-01-2011 at 12:36 AM.
  5. svu
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks for the advice guys. So this is not a hardware problem as other posts on the issue have been suggesting? If its a hardware problem (somebody suggested its a problem with one of the chips) and it can't be corrected with this wipe, I won't bother because its working in 2G at the moment and I really only use the phone for emails so I don't want to mess up that function. Like I said, its a pain to have to go into the phone company here in Costa Rica and have them re-configure the phone for Blackberry service, and I assume if I do a full wipe like this, that will be necessary?
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    That's for me to know and you to guess!

Just do as Brian suggested. You won't have to re-configure the phone. Do a full backup before you wipe it, data with DM and use BBSAK to backup your apps.

7. svu
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    I suggest downloading the device software from your provider, installing it, then using BBSAK, which is easier to use, and reload the software that way. Wipe Device first, then Load OS after (i'm corresponding to the buttons within the BBSAK window once the program is launched). That should fix it up.

Link to BBSAK: BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife

Forgive my newbieness, I backed up my phone with desktop manager and downloaded BBSAK. I wiped the device as suggested and now all I have is the 'Reload Software 507' white screen. I go to Load OS and its blank. Do I have to import an OS? How do you do that? When I connect now to desktop manager it does not recognize a phone being connected. TIA.
  8. svu
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I am in the process of downloading the operating system for my carrier, ICE. I will try to load this on the phone with BBSAK.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svu View Post
    I am in the process of downloading the operating system for my carrier, ICE. I will try to load this on the phone with BBSAK.
    Wait a minute, ICE in Costa Rica offers the Bold 9650?

Are you sure it isn't the Bold 9700 software you're downloading?
  10. svu
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Culex316 View Post
    Wait a minute, ICE in Costa Rica offers the Bold 9650?

Are you sure it isn't the Bold 9700 software you're downloading?
    Yes, Bold 9700. I downloaded and installed. Stalled for a couple minutes when the phone rebooted. I'm now doing the restore. I will switch to 3G and see if this corrected the 'catfailed' error.
  11. svu
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

OK restored fine, I switched to '2G & 3G' but its still in 2G (EDGE). It didn't go 'catfailed' on the switch however, which is a good sign. Any ideas? Should I just try putting it into 3G?
  12. svu
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

OK, I put it into '3G' and got the 'radio core catfailed'. Back to square one.
  13. svu
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Now the phone is officially dead, cant even get it to connect to BBSAK to wipe it again.
  14. svu
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Luckily got it to connect to BBSAK for a wipe after about 20 battery pull reboot attempts. Split second it connected and I wiped and re-installed the software and the backup. Back to where I started today, working in 2G and looped when put into 3G. The only difference is, even without the SIM card it won't get out of catfailed, only one time out of 20 battery pulls. I'm reluctant to even try again, as I don't want to lose the functions I do have before getting a new phone altogether.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts

I just Googled some info about the "radio core catfailed" error, and apparently, some people have gotten it on their Blackberries after using leaked RIM software to tamper with it....did you purchase your Bold 9700 from your carrier or used?
  16. svu
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Culex316 View Post
    I just Googled some info about the "radio core catfailed" error, and apparently, some people have gotten it on their Blackberries after using leaked RIM software to tamper with it....did you purchase your Bold 9700 from your carrier or used?
    I bought it new from a store, which is authorized, the carrier here dosen't sell phones. Completely possible though that they are reselling a junk phone, but it worked fine for a year, although it always had some software glitches where it would need to be rebooted. So I don't know for sure.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default bold 9000 erro message raido core catfaild

hi im trying to find out why am i getting this erro message on my phone.....erro message raido core catfaild