CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Please help.. AT&T Says no unlock code is available for my 9700.

All,

My 9700 is two years old. The contract on which it was purchased expires on 21 Nov 2011. The actual phone I have now is a warranty replacement (when I first bought my bold 9700 I was unhappy with how quickly the surface of the trackpad accumulated scratches and returned it... stupid reason I know... the next one had the same problem). Anyway, I called AT&T and tried to get them to unlock my phone (they did this in the past, for my Sammy Blackjack when I upgraded to the Bold). Two different AT&T reps and a supervisor both told me that no unlock code could be found for my IMEI number. They gave me some spiel about how they know nothing... maybe an unlock code just isn't available for this particular phone yet, maybe it will never be available for this particular phone, etc...

Anyway, I'm getting ready to upgrade to the 9900 and I'd like to keep this phone handy for use when traveling overseas. Does anybody know what's going on here? I don't think that AT&T is unlock-blocking me (see that... it's like c*ck-blocking but I just used unlock instead...LOL).

AT&T did tell me that RIM might not have given them an unlock code for this particular phone. I called the RIM number that they gave me and they said that AT&T's full of ****. RIM always sends the unlock codes.

I'm reluctant to use an online service because:
    1. I don't want to pay for something that I shouldn't have to pay for.
    2. I don't want to use a free service because I'm suspicious of them.

Any advice and/or corroboration of the responses I've been given would be greatly appreciated.
    CrackBerry Newbie

freemyblackberry.com cause its free. Just follow the steps (read first then reread then attempt). I always have to do the manual method to get the MEP number. I have unlocked 5 devices with them so far over 6 months and never had any spam or other issues.
    Last edited by Jackal99; 11-04-2011 at 10:47 AM.
    Thanked by:
    sillydragon (11-04-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Hey Jackal99, thanks for the tip. I'm curious... I don't really get too deep into the OS or anything, I just really like my blackberry, so if I sound ignorant, my apologies: is there anything to worry about when you "give" your IMEI number to someone/some company?
    CrackBerry Genius

It is not recommended to post your imei info but when your dealing with professionals then there is no worry...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

If your IMEI number was changed on the blackberry, then it was illegal, as to why it couldn't be unlocked, or just BS at&t was giving you. Freemyblackberry.com kicks *** (can't get any better than free). I have an unlocked 9700, I just haven't used other Sim's in it, since i didn't feel the need to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com