Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. rwill80

Default Phone goes right to GPRS while on phone calls

Okay, so I've been wondering about this issue since I've gotten the phone (about 2 weeks now). It seems no matter what firmware I've used - stock .330, leaked .405, currently leaked .421 - when I'm on a phone call, it NEVER stays on 3G; it drops straight to GPRS, not even EDGE, within about 2 or 3 minutes...I've been lucky to have it stay on 3G for 5 minutes once.

I have the T-Mobile 9700, as mentioned above, tried several different firmwares, all with the same results. Any ideas regrading this? I thought the whole idea behind having 3G other than better voice quality was that you can talk on the phone and use data at the same time, which I can't at all. Also, I'm in Southern California area, and I'm blanketed with 3G...constantly full bars of coverage. I know that's not always the best measurement to use, but still, seems odd that every call would do this.

Thanks!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,493 Global Posts
    PIN
    type mypin

if you want my real opinion id return the phone for a new one.. im on at&t and don't have this issue at all and if its happening on all firmware it may be hardware related
    Guys/Gals when I post things I am posting to the best of my knowledge if I am for certain incorrect please correct me more knowledge to me helps. Thanks!
    http://twitter.com/sn4p2k10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

It's not the phone itself, but the hardware. The problem lies in the transfer of 3G to 2G. Definitely a software issue. At least that's what I've been told.
  4. rwill80

Actually this is the 2nd phone (had the 1st one replaced because of build quality issues), and that one had the same issue. That's why I can't figure out if it's the phone or T-Mobile... It almost sounds like a T-Mobile issue.
  5. rwill80

Well, I may call T-Mobile tomorrow and see what's up. I love the phone otherwise... especially coming from the 8220 Flip! The difference is night and day!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

I'm also having the same problem, except when I force the phone on Edge it works fine. I've also tried different firmwares. I don't know if it makes any difference but our area (Cincinnati) only went 3G about a week ago.
    CrackBerry Master

Quick question guys, did you in this issue loose ability to make call and use data at the same time?

I have been noticing this similar thing for a while on my 9700. However, since I have always been able to send, receive e-mail, to usee BBM, and other data apps etc., I don't see anything wrong with the mixed up icon.

I even see that on certain occasion, when I start with UMA for voice, the icon switch over time (while I am still on call) to EDGE. However, I can still perform all other data apps with no issue.

On both instance, the phone switch back to either 3G (on the road) or UMA (at home) immediately after I finish the call.

IMHO, I do not see anything wrong here really. Of course, you guys issues may be totally different.
    Passport 10.3.0.1154 on TMO and PB 64GB
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    PIN
    2368B73C

my 3g goes from -70 to -81 at home... is that good? bad?
    BBM me: 2368B73C (updated Jan.25th 2011) | FOLLOW ME www.twitter.com/alexxxMag | www.facebook.com/alex003 | Rockin' that 9780 boLd (WHT)
    CrackBerry Genius

I am having the same problem. only when on 3G and on a phone call that is three minutes+ long(or so). Drops to GPRS, the call quality and signal is still great which is weird but no data while on a call for emails or text or BBM, pretty damn annoying. tmo says it is not a known problem. This thread proves that they know better.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    PIN
    30c273fa

Same thing here in houston, tx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rwill80 View Post
    Okay, so I've been wondering about this issue since I've gotten the phone (about 2 weeks now). It seems no matter what firmware I've used - stock .330, leaked .405, currently leaked .421 - when I'm on a phone call, it NEVER stays on 3G; it drops straight to GPRS, not even EDGE, within about 2 or 3 minutes...I've been lucky to have it stay on 3G for 5 minutes once.

I have the T-Mobile 9700, as mentioned above, tried several different firmwares, all with the same results. Any ideas regrading this? I thought the whole idea behind having 3G other than better voice quality was that you can talk on the phone and use data at the same time, which I can't at all. Also, I'm in Southern California area, and I'm blanketed with 3G...constantly full bars of coverage. I know that's not always the best measurement to use, but still, seems odd that every call would do this.

Thanks!

Look Familiar? Join the Club!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phone goes right to GPRS while on phone calls-001.jpg  
    HTC EVO
    Epic
    Verizon IPhone4
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon PM Request

TMO is still rolling out 3G. It will be a while before all the kinks are worked out. Some of what you are seeing could even be their staff trying to correct the issue. The best thing I can say is track the issue by putting your phone in engineering mode then when it happens call tmo and give them all that data. Your lat/long and address as well as the LAC and cellid plus the rssi info. When enough of these calls come into the call center, drive teams and techs will be dispatched. All this info is worth gold to those trying to find the needle in they haystack.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by shansmi; 12-21-2009 at 09:06 AM.
  13. rwill80

But 3G has been in the So. California area for a while now (over 6 months, if not more). I would think it should be working for the most part. And once the call drops to GPRS when on a call (and ONLY when on a call), I get no data (no emails, no BBM, etc.). It's frustrating to say the least.

Update:
    So I just spoke with a CS and they're telling me there's nothing that can be done and it's just how the network is. I told them if that's the case, then they need to really work on their 3G network since at&t can use voice and data simultaneously. I honestly think he didn't know what in the **** I was talking about, but whatever. I do think us T-Mobile 9700 users that have this issue need to speak up and let them know we're not satisfied. Just my thought...
    Last edited by rwill80; 12-21-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Just talked to T-Mobile CS