Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Passing BB 9700. Waiting for Blackberry 9900/ Dakota

I decided to pass on Blackberry 9700. AT&T is offering 9700 for 50 dollars after 100 dollars mail and rebate, and both letstalk.com and wirefly are selling it for free. However, I refuse to sign a 2 year contract for something that I know that will be outdated so fast. Blackberry 9700 is certainly an improvement, but there are so many things I would have to give up from 9000. Here are things I like about 9700, and things I hate about it compare to original bold.

9700 Pros:
    Nice battery life, Smaller size, Better looking device, 2GB Comes with Memory card, 5.0 software out of the box, 480X360 resolution screen, trackpad, double ram, and 3.2 camera.

Con:
    Smaller keyboard, 3 speakers are now reduced to 1 speaker, No more wide screen, 5.0 software is nice, but they need to update music player, Video player, UI. Rimm is also working on a new browser with flash based on. Storm 2 for verizon ships with 16GB memory card, so why does this bold come with only 2GB memory card?
    No updated Processor speed compare to original bold.

Rimm is probably going to announce Blackberry Dakota at WES 2010, (It will be very updated) so I am going to wait.

If 9700 had all the things original bold had with trackpad, I might have upgraded. But, screw rimm for not taking it up to the next level. Other blackberry user who do not own bold might be worth getting 9700, but this device is not good enough to replace my 9000. I don't want to trade off what I have on bold to get new features on 9700. NEGATIVE!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,243 Global Posts

I enjoy having the time to try out all the new features on the 9700 while waiting a year or more for other devices to be released. I can appreciate your frustration.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Zach7 View Post
    I enjoy having the time to try out all the new features on the 9700 while waiting a year or more for other devices to be released. I can appreciate your frustration.
    Sure, enjoy your soon to be an outdated phone.
    I know that new devices come out every year. That's not what I said though. I said, the new features are not enough to make person like me who has original bold. Thank you for your obvious statement.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts

hcho321, your logic is sound.
    Current OS: 5.0.0.822 | Current Theme: Ubuntu 10.04 | 3rd Party Apps: QuickLaunch, Berryweather, deBattGym, SmrtGuard, TaskMaster, WorldMate Live & Laterdude

Ahaz Designs | FREE OTA HOSTING
    Banned

good to know you like to share your feelings with us, so... what did you have for breakfast?

just a a few points for you, memory cards can be upgraded and every carrier differs in accessories, so guess the phucking what? its not a con for the device
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,824 Global Posts

There are always going to be updates for every phone no matter what or when you buy. With that being said, I would keep my 9700 if it was the same size as the bold 9000. It's just to small for my liking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts

I think both Zach and Hcho have valid points- its what I love to see in a thread. If the 9700 hadn't been released, RIM wouldn't be able to get feedback on new things like the trackpad from people like Zach (and me!) to improve the Dakota for Hcho next year. RIM is doing the right thing- a little something now, and some more for later. Everyone wins!
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    T-Mobile Treo 600--> Cingular Treo 650--> Cingular 8125--> Imate JasJar--> TMobile SDA--> Cingular Blackjack --> Cingular 8525-->UBiQUiO 503g-->HP iPAQ 910c-->HTC Fuze-->Blackberry Bold --> Blackberry Onyx
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

When Dakota is launched, LTE will be right around the corner. Should you wait for that? Think about it, 10mb/sec+ download speeds, 5mb/sec+ up. Thats MUCH better than 3G...

I keep 2 upgrades at all times, generally updating 1 device per year. I also get devices sent to me prior to launch, and even from the carriers themselves as test devices. I play with them for 30 days, and ship them back. That way I know what devices i consider to be worth it. The 9700 is indeed worth the year+ wait for other devices.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    429 Global Posts

I agree with the OP, I have another year on my contract and the only advantage I see with the 9700 is the trackpad, so I am more than willing to wait for the next version and see what that brings.

Helpful Links:
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,096 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pink2 View Post
    I agree with the OP, I have another year on my contract and the only advantage I see with the 9700 is the trackpad, so I am more than willing to wait for the next version and see what that brings.
    Well, the memory, too, and throw in the camera, but I think your point is the general consensus among most Bold users. Even the earliest adopters of the Bold have close to a year left on their contracts, and few are going to want to pay full price for a BB that's not a real improvement on the Bold.

The Dakota should be the real upgrade for the Bold, and if there is noise about something else on the horizon when the Dakota comes out, I'll make that decision whether to go for the Dakota or keep waiting then. More likely than not, I'll go for the Dakota.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 4
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24A072D9

[QUOTE=JasW;4253113
    The Dakota should be the real upgrade for the Bold, and if there is noise about something else on the horizon when the Dakota comes out, I'll make that decision whether to go for the Dakota or keep waiting then. More likely than not, I'll go for the Dakota.[/QUOTE]
    I agree. If I stay with BB, it the Dakota or the next option.

Otherwise I am looking at a iPhone or DROID (GSM).

The 9700 is too small for me and should not be in the BOLD line up.

The 9000 is my first BB. Why, other were too small i screen size or keyboard for me to go to a smart phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

I completely agree with the OP.

The 9700 just isn't much of an upgrade at all and to some a downgrade in certain aspects. I'm waiting it out....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts

I also agree with the OP. There are too many updates on the horizon (browser, processor, etc.) for me to pay for a device that will be obsolete in a few months. Got one for the wife though...LOL...
    Current OS: 5.0.0.822 | Current Theme: Ubuntu 10.04 | 3rd Party Apps: QuickLaunch, Berryweather, deBattGym, SmrtGuard, TaskMaster, WorldMate Live & Laterdude

Ahaz Designs | FREE OTA HOSTING
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hcho321 View Post
    I decided to pass on Blackberry 9700. AT&T is offering 9700 for 50 dollars after 100 dollars mail and rebate, and both letstalk.com and wirefly are selling it for free. However, I refuse to sign a 2 year contract for something that I know that will be outdated so fast. Blackberry 9700 is certainly an improvement, but there are so many things I would have to give up from 9000. Here are things I like about 9700, and things I hate about it compare to original bold.

9700 Pros:
    Nice battery life, Smaller size, Better looking device, 2GB Comes with Memory card, 5.0 software out of the box, 480X360 resolution screen, trackpad, double ram, and 3.2 camera.

Con:
    Smaller keyboard, 3 speakers are now reduced to 1 speaker, No more wide screen, 5.0 software is nice, but they need to update god damn music player, Video player, UI. Rimm is also working on a new browser with flash based on. Storm 2 for verizon ships with 16GB memory card, so why in the **** does this bold come with only 2GB memory card?
    No updated Processor speed compare to original bold.

Rimm is probably going to announce Blackberry Dakota at WES 2010, (It will be very updated) so I am going to wait.

If 9700 had all the things original bold had with trackpad, I might have upgraded. But, screw rimm for not taking it up to the next level. Other blackberry user who do not own bold might be worth getting 9700, but this device is not good enough to replace my 9000. I don't want to trade off what I have on bold to get new features on 9700. NEGATIVE!
    I'll enjoy my 9700 and you and me both will get whatever RIM releases around this time next year. Till then enjoy your Bold.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,056 Global Posts

So many threads like this already comparing the 97000 vs 9000.

The thing is the 9700 is a fill in phone and that is all it is a fill in phone until a newer updated device is out.

Its like school, so much fill in crap while waiting for more fill in crap while doing the important crap to only have more fill in crap.
    New Phone: Iphone 4s, Old Phones: Blackberry Z10, Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sold), Iphone 4 (Used By Family)
    LTE Playbook 32gb (Dec 2012), OS version is 1753.
    On Rogers Service

"When in doubt, buy a laptop"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,689 Global Posts

everything you buy is going to be outdated within 6 months by the next great thing. i for one don't really care for a touchscreen-slider phone that the 9900 will be.

New Device Desirable, Old Device Undesirable | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

are threads like this really necessary?

by the way, the "widescreen" on your bold is actually less resolution than the 9700.
    Last edited by dLo GSR; 12-08-2009 at 07:04 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts

It is funny how RIM updates its devices at a baby steps pace. I believe that if the 9700 was a significantly more advanced phone people wouldn't have such a hard time trying to make up their minds upgrading wise.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24A072D9

Quote Originally Posted by dLo GSR View Post
    by the way, the "widescreen" on your bold is actually less resolution than the 9700.
    And you really think a 480 X 360 screen is going to be appear to the naked eye a higher resolution than 480 x 320?

Not on a screen that small! The 9000 is my first BB for a reason. Bigger device and screen.

But I bet most BB users did NOT like the size of the 9000 and hence why RIM went with a smaller 9700 "Bold."

Unless RIM has a new model equal to size of the 9000 coming (which they do), I will leave BB/RIM if I can't find another device by them that suits me.

I hate the small keyboards and screen. My wife has the older curve and its way tooo small.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,240 Global Posts

I went to AT&T yesterday to get a 9700 in my hands to play with and see if I could possibly make the switch...

I loved the trackpad.

The keyboard was ok - 2nd best BB keyboard I've used - behind the Bold 9000, since it's smaller. I could handle it though.

Unfortunately - both the smaller screen and smaller form factor overall made it feel too petite for me. It just didn't feel right.

I am quite happy with my 9000, still. It's been over a year and I could certainly get the 9700 for cheap by extending my contact but it's just not worth it at this point. I love the 9000 form factor and really don't want to "upgrade" to a smaller device...so I'll keep waiting...and enjoying my Bold.

There is nothing about the 9700 that is a "must-have" for the next year. Trackpad is cool - memory I don't really need but would be nice - better camera would be neat but I don't take many pictures...nothing important enough that I can't wait though.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts

Yeah i agree with you. I actually think that when i compare them side by side the 9000 seems to have better screen resolution due to its larger size. The only thing that really bothers me is the application memory.
    I constanly consider switching and even though i have about 40 mb left, i feel i will be running out of it soon. The device keeps on taking more and more by itself and i find it bothersome that i have to do a battery pull to get it back up.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,689 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hurricane.gio View Post
    And you really think a 480 X 360 screen is going to be appear to the naked eye a higher resolution than 480 x 320?
    it does to me, but maybe i have better eyes. i am the type that would take a higher resolution over a larger physical area, though. my intent was just to point out that the OP's idea of "widescreen" actually meant a smaller resolution.

anyway, i absolutely see why a 9000 owner would not be as compelled to go to a 9700, but for someone who had their curve for 2.5 years, and passed on the first bold because of its huge size, i'm 110% satisfied.

when this 9900 slider-touch phone comes out, just like with every new device that comes out (see onion article), i will be a bit envious, but then again i will have already enjoyed this device for a year, much like you all have already with the 9000, so i'll be ok with it. i'll just wait another year to get whatever device is going to trump the 9900.

how long do you expect to wait for the 9900 anyway? this is just out of curiosity. given that the onyx was physically available to play with in its first incarnation since at least last may, a timeline of 6 months from first production prototype seems reasonable, yet there still is zero physical prospect of this new device.
    Last edited by dLo GSR; 12-08-2009 at 01:59 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24A072D9

Quote Originally Posted by dLo GSR View Post
    it does to me, but maybe i have better eyes. i am the type that would take a higher resolution over a larger physical area, though. my intent was just to point out that the OP's idea of "widescreen" actually meant a smaller resolution.
    I assume then you the same guy who can a tell a 4x 6 photo was shot with a 6MP or 8MP camera. Or a 40" 1080P TV having a better picture than a 42" 720p TV at 8 ft .

The difference is soo small in pixels, I bet without knowing 99.9% of people in the world can't tell.

I have a sharp as h*ll eyes and it looked the same to me, but smaller.

Oh, yes I can fell the pea under the mattress.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by hcho321 View Post
    Sure, enjoy your soon to be an outdated phone.
    9700 going to be outdated in a year? My friend has an 83XX and it is extremely outdated then! lol
    CrackBerry Abuser

Flame suit on but I think the 9700 is so much nicer/better than the 9000. I am trying to get my IT dept. to replace my 9000 with 9700. I personally love the smaller form factor and it is much better looking than the 9000.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Find it funny how everyone b!tches about the 9700 vs 9000
    BS everyday.
    I have both side by side and I LOVE them both, but at least my
    9700 has OFFICIAL 5.0 not leaked BS and its pretty damn quick
    compared to my 9000. Now if ATT gets off their backsides and releases
    official 5.0 for 9000, I'm sure everyone would STFU and be happy. They
    are the two best BB's out, shut up and be happy with what ya got
    and works best for you as of the moment!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast