Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default OS 6 Memory Leak Tips

Does anyone have any specific tips to curtail the memory leak that happens on the 9700 when you have OS6 installed? Obviously it's not going to go away completely but is there anything we can do to slow?

I have heard changing up the universal search settings help reduce it, any truth to that?
  2. Matrix Leader

If you are ready to try out OS 6 on your 9700, especially after the recent leaks which have rectified alot of the bugs which were found before, but are still worried about memory leaks since the 9700 only sports 256 MB of oboard memory for applications, then this guide will help you drastically overcome the low memory issues.

1) Launch BlackBerry Desktop Manager and create a backup of your phone just incase something goes wrong.

2) Ensure that you do not have any previous OS installed on your PC by going to Control Panel and uninstalling any BlackBerry Device Software that you see there.

3) Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files and ensure that folder is empty, if there was any folder in there (usually any previous OS files will be there), then delete it, that folder needs to be empty before we start.

4) Download and install OS 6 for your 9700, you may choose any build you want.

5) Download and install BB Boss

Run BB Boss, then carefully start checking the boxes of the components you will not use, like all the languages, all the carrier themes, the built in wallpapers, videos, etc; all the chat/messaging applications that you know you never use, social feeds, podcasts, etc.....

After selecting all the components / languages you want to shrink, click on the Add/Remove button on the bottom right to initialize the shrinking process, when it is over, you will see at the bottom by how much was your OS shrinked (in MB)

DO NOT REMOVE ANY LANGUAGE FILES UNLESS YOU DONT NEED THEM, ENGLISH UK CAN SAFELY BE REMOVED IF YOU DON'T USE IT AS ENGLISH USA WILL ALWAYS BE THERE BY DEFAULT.

6) Navigate to:
    Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader

Then delete the file named vendor.xml

7) Run apploader.exe within that same folder to start the OS update.

8) While getting the options of components to install, you should now see much less as you have shrinked your OS, however, still do a final check to ensure that everything that is checked is something you actually use.

I would personally not bother with social feeds as well as it is of no use to me, saves me some space not to have it.

What social feeds does is it interlinks all your social apps such as facebook and BBM, twitter, etc, into one application, so for example if you want to set your status as gone on holidays, you don't need to do it on each application seperately, social feeds will do it for all in one step. Still, I personally dont need that.

Next come podcasts, if you don't deselect that during the installation it automatically gets installed, again, useless to me. TuneIn radio is much better IMO.

Last, I do not install Appworld as I can just download the apps manually from the websites, that saves me some good space too.

If you do the above tricks, you should not run into many memory problems.

Regards,

Matrix Leader
    Follow the white bunny...
    Last edited by Matrix Leader; 03-13-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Thanked by 5:
    devindjs411 (03-05-2011),  HUTCH66 (03-03-2011),  Rollout429 (03-25-2011),  soft-touch (03-20-2011),  tartooob (03-03-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Dude thank you so much! That was a very detailed answer and i am going to try it out right now!!
  4. Matrix Leader

Good luck. please follow the steps carefully, and let us know your findings.

It will give you a huge difference in available memory to remedy your memory leaks
  5. Matrix Leader

Remember, check all the items that you know you dont want in BB Boss then hit the AUTO SHRINK button, within seconds, in the bottom of the application (BB Boss) you will see how much space you saved
    CrackBerry Abuser

I had awful Memory leak on .448, but .461, its been fine. Some are suffering worse than others.
  7. Matrix Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo_UK View Post
    I had awful Memory leak on .448, but .461, its been fine. Some are suffering worse than others.

True, but regardless of memory lea,s if your phone starts up with more available memory, you will be less affected
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I just tried it out guys and upon restart I am up to 84.4 MB of FREE SPACE...wahoo!
  9. Matrix Leader

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Israel1319 View Post
    I just tried it out guys and upon restart I am up to 84.4 MB of FREE SPACE...wahoo!

How much space did you have before?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

i had it in the 40's and so w/the memory leak i was having to battery pull every couple hours just so my phone could semi-function
  11. Matrix Leader

I am happy that you had success with this then
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ///M3

i had it in the 40's and so w/the memory leak i was having to battery pull every couple hours just so my phone could semi-function
    Wow I'm in the 112.MiB when i did 461. When i delete history on everything i get 117. Phones faster than ever too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,607 Global Posts
    PIN
    295E4D69

Matrix Leader, there's just one problem with you BB Boss links....

OS 6 Memory Leak Tips-capture6.jpg
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,969 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBronx View Post
    Matrix Leader, there's just one problem with you BB Boss links....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture6.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	82320
    As much as ML would like you to believe those are not HIS links. Contact the developer.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/bb-...n-2-0-a-583840
    Thanked by:
    eds817 (03-03-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    22A59EAA

@Matrix Leader... I did exactly what you outlined. Works great. Cuts the fat and my Blackberry is much smoother. The only other step I would recommend is using BBSAK to back-up all 3rd party apps. Then with BBSAk wipe the device. I never used to do this before, because I thought a new install erases everything anyways, yet, I did notice a difference by wiping the device, especially after installing about a dozen leaked OS versions from OS5 through OS6.

By the way, I had OS6.0.0.448 prior and without using BB Boss and BBSAK as prescribed, I was lucky to have about 40MB's of memory left after my databases and 3rd party apps were installed. Doing the new install (wiping and the BOSS) with OS 6.0.0.461 I now have 63MB's as stated. That is a big difference on a 256MB system.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it really is not so much the OS that causes a memory leak. Third party apps are really the culprit. LinkedIn app... Forget about it!
    Last edited by joeberrymomma; 03-02-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: innacurate statement
    Thanked by 3:
    HUTCH66 (03-03-2011),  MKDS (03-21-2011) 
  16. Matrix Leader

Quote Originally Posted by joeberrymomma View Post
    @Matrix Leader... I did exactly what you outlined. Works great. Cuts the fat and my Blackberry is much smoother. The only other step I would recommend is using BBSAK to back-up all 3rd party apps. Then with BBSAk wipe the device. I never used to do this before, because I thought a new install erases everything anyways, yet, I did notice a difference by wiping the device, especially after installing about a dozen leaked OS versions from OS5 through OS6.

By the way, I had OS6.0.0.448 prior and without using BB Boss and BBSAK as prescribed, I was lucky to have about 40MB's of memory left after my databases and 3rd party apps were installed. Doing the new install (wiping and the BOSS) with OS 6.0.0.461 I now have 63MB's as stated. That is a big difference on a 256MB system.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it really is not so much the OS that causes a memory leak. Third party apps are really the culprit. LinkedIn app... Forget about it!
    Yea the backup apps via BBSAK was not mentioned as I found it to be very bad. Lets say you backup all your apps.......then reload them to your phone......

they are not individually listed in the applications on the phone....if you want to ever uninstall one of those apps to install a newer version.....you will not be able to find it as it is listed under BBSAK only.....if you delete BBSAK.....guess what? ALL your apps are gone.....

So I found that installing back all the apps one by one is worth the hassle and ensures you get the latest versions anyway

PS: If you dont wipe your device, the loader backs up all the apps automatically and does it in a proper way that each apps is listed individually.
    CrackBerry User

Amaaaazing thanks
  18. Matrix Leader

you're welcome. hope u got it done right
    CrackBerry User

Does anyone have any specific tips to curtail the memory leak that happens on the 9700 when you have OS6 installed? Obviously it's not going to go away completely but is there anything we can do to slow?

I have heard changing up the universal search settings help reduce it, any truth to that?
    How exactly do you measure a memory leak? What are you supposed to look for and keep an eye on?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Very detailed indeed

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by meilton View Post
    How exactly do you measure a memory leak? What are you supposed to look for and keep an eye on?
    There really is no memory leak, it's more of a fluctuation and it depends on when you're lookin' at the stats. On OS5.0.0.714 I got about a 3mb difference, on 6.0.0.448 (both official T-Mo versions) I get about a 30mb flux. It's pretty annoying and terrible, but in any case nothing actually disappears or "leaks" from what I've seen. I think people that have an extreme impatience are the ones that started this whole phantom "leak" hysteria. You can check on your memory through your options as follows...

- Find Options icon (looks like a wrench) & click it
    - Select "Device" (sub categories PIN, auto on/off, battery, storage)
    - Scroll to & select "Application Management"
    - First tab that pops up is Applications All, scroll left twice to "Memory Now" and it's the top reading.

What you'll notice, if you watch it periodically, is that the "BlackBerry 6.0.0 System Software" is where the majority of the memory fluctuation occurs. It makes no sense to me how the base system software memory use could possibly change, but it's RIM, and nothing they create is logical in any way.
    Thanked by:
    lushguy21 (06-26-2011) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

A memory leak is a computer programming term meaning an application is being assigned more and more memory that it can't release to the OS. What happens in OS6 may or may not be a memory leak, but that's what the symptoms look like, so that's the name we use for it.

Memory leak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CrackBerry User

PIN
    2166093F

This is good info I'm going to give it a go once I get home.

CrackBerry User

I've had every os6 leak on my phone from the unofficial releases, to the current official ones. Shrinking the OS will give you more memory, but it does nothing to actually curtail the memory leak. Your application storage space will continue to shrink the same way it did before.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I used BB Boss to shrink the official version of OS 6 from Tellus I loaded the other day. After backing up my data, I chose the option to shrink it right on the phone while connected. Memory went from 14.5 MB back up to 86.1 MB. I will definitely do this before I upgrade the OS again. Thanks for great advice.
    @Reblogga
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast